autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What do I need to legitimate my business?

Hey guys, I was wondering what all do I need to make it official? Such as licenses, certificates ect. And do you guys recommend insurence? How much does it usually cost? Any other tips or advice would be much appreciated
    Rule 62: Don't take yourself to d*mn seriously
    Cincinnati, OH
    Shawn

Super Member Joe@Superior Shine's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What do I need to legitimate my business?

Get a DBA (doing business as) fictitious business name statement done so you can open a bank account under your business name, Get a business license in the city/cities and/or county your going to be doing your work, get formal training, get covered by insurance..... then go out and make $$$$$$$$$$$$

Post Thanks / Like

You doing this part time or full? How long have you been doing detailing? Are you going up be mobil or fixed location? How many cars are you averaging a month? Not trying to be in your personal business just want to are what your goal is.

Post Thanks / Like

Part time, about a year (for $), mobile, 2 or so right now. It stared as just word of mouth stuff and I was on a medical treatment that was very physicaly draining so I wasn't wanting to do many cars. But now I'm all healthy again and wanting to really expand everything. I just got business cards, flyers posted places and passed out. I'm a student so and also have another job so I'm not looking to do this full time but maybe one day!
    Rule 62: Don't take yourself to d*mn seriously
    Cincinnati, OH
    Shawn

Post Thanks / Like

You can also contact your local Chamber of Commerce to find out what business licenses, etc are required.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shoeless89 View Post
    Part time, about a year (for $), mobile, 2 or so right now. It stared as just word of mouth stuff and I was on a medical treatment that was very physicaly draining so I wasn't wanting to do many cars. But now I'm all healthy again and wanting to really expand everything. I just got business cards, flyers posted places and passed out. I'm a student so and also have another job so I'm not looking to do this full time but maybe one day!

If you are in school and already have a job - I would wait until you start pulling over a grand or more a month consistently before adding any overhead. Also if you start getting slammed, grades will either drop tremendously or the new business will suffer. I was in school and had a full time job when I started B & B. Had a 4.0 going into my 3rd year - after one semester dropped to a 3.8, then I had to drop out the next semester - I was failing cause I was getting slammed and couldnt handle the 2 together.

With all that said - I would wait and see what kind of response you get from the flyers, how it will affect your schooling, if it is profitable enough for you (being legit can be very expensive), etc. Not trying to stray you away, just tossing out some variables to think about.
    Bates Detailing
    Auto * RV * Bus * Boat * Aircraft * UFOs
    http://www.batesdetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by B&B Tennessee View Post
    If you already have a job - I would wait until you start pulling over a grand or more a month consistently before adding any overhead. . . .being legit can be very expensive

Good advice that I'm following myself.
    Mike at www.GreatReflections.biz
    Vancouver, WA's convenient Mobile Detailer comes to you!

Post Thanks / Like

Each state is different. Best thing to do is Google your state and starting a small business.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by B&B Tennessee View Post
    (being legit can be very expensive), etc. Not trying to stray you away, just tossing out some variables to think about.
    What is so expensive about it? Most business certs cost about $100. I think it cost me a total of $175 to become a legit business. If you work from home, or are mobile the only other cost would be your products. Yeah you gotta save some for taxes, but it isn't "expensive".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flannigan View Post
    What is so expensive about it? Most business certs cost about $100. I think it cost me a total of $175 to become a legit business. If you work from home, or are mobile the only other cost would be your products. Yeah you gotta save some for taxes, but it isn't "expensive".
    When you factor in insurance and taxes, they can be a heavy burden when starting out to add to the cost of products, marketing material, proper tools, gas, website, time dedicated to starting (opportunity cost), etc. My current fixed costs are roughly 600 a month before all of the mentioned above and employees - and I am completely mobile. The clients dont just pour in when you become legit either- it takes alot of time and money - IMO.
    Bates Detailing
    Auto * RV * Bus * Boat * Aircraft * UFOs
    http://www.batesdetailing.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast