autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Thinking of starting a part-time detail busniness

I'm 38 year old displaced worker and full-time college student with a family. Unemployment isn't cutting it as far as bills are concerned and I just found out that the program I'm in has a waiting list until 2014. I'm on the Dean's list now and was thinking that I was in an accelerated program, but I was wrong and will have to wait. My major is Physical Therapy Assistant. I'm a former college drop-out/flunky because I wouldn't go to class when I was yonger. Where's the butt kickin' emoticon when I need it? LOL! Big change from a construction worker, but there's not much going on around here, and my body is broke down.

So, I thought about doing some part-time work in detailing. Actually, at this time I seem really interested in this. I have two uncle's who are car buffs and huge collector's so I'm sure I can get some leads. One of my uncle's truck's he built was in Truckin' Magazine (think that was it) a few years back a a centerfold. He's built several cars and trucks. The other uncle has a huge collection of corvettes under cover.

I'm looking for any and all input and advise, from tips to products.

I'm a very detail oriented person, to the point of being anal often times. When I do something, I research as much as I can about what I'm going to do. I've been told by two previous employers that I'm too particular. I'm good with my hands, and can see things in work that others often can't see. Such as things being out of plum and/or out of square, even by minute amounts and sometimes almost micro amounts. I love cars...but I don't get to work with them nearly as much as I'd like to. These are just a few reasons I think I may enjoy this type of hobby/work.

In my next post on this thread I'll mention the products I already have and you folks can give me some input if you like. I'd certainly appreciate it. There are also some things I'll need I'm certain.

Let me go get my list of products that I already have and then you folks can give me

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Thinking of starting a part-time detail busniness

Okay...here's my list.

I have 6 vehicles at my disposal to cut my teeth on for paint correction.

2005 Black Chevy Trailblazer w/cloudy paint from a fire. Some hand work on a test spot says I can fix it.

1998 Dark Blue Buick Regal GS w/cloudy neglected paint.

2000 Dark Green Buick Century

2000 Dark Green F150 with some minor rocker rust coming thru but over all decent.

2005 Black Mercury Marquie some scratches may be sever, but over all good and garage kept.

1996 Toredor Red Mercury Marquie also garage kept.

The two Mercury's do not look their age. A garage has been kind to them. The rest are kept outside and I'm sure all have swirls.

Here's the rest of my list:

Cleaner/Degreaser's
    Purple Power
    Super Clean
    Westley's Bleach White

CarWash
    Zymol Carwash
    Mothers California Gold carwash

Clay
    Turtle Wax Ice Clay kit (have 2 kits)
    Mother's Clay kit

Other products's by manufacturer:

Meguire's
    Hot Rims all wheel cleaner
    Ultimate Compound
    Ultimate Polish
    SwirlX (3 bottles cost me $1 each...woowhoo)
    Quick Detailer (red bottle)
    #3 Machine Glaze
    #7 Show Car Glaze
    #18 Clear Plasic Cleaner Polish
    #10 Clear Plastic Polish
    #17 Clear Plastic Cleaner
    #39 Heavy Duty Vinyl Cleaner
    #40 Vinyl/Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner

Mothers
    3 Step System (Pre-wax cleaner, Sealer Glaze, Pure Carbuba liquid...prefer paste)
    Cleaner Wax
    Chrome Polish
    Back to Black
    Powerball 4paint
    FX Synwax

Interior misc.
    ScotchGuard Foaming Auto Cleaner

I also have various brushes for the nasty areas, and interior. I also have a 6.75 hp 16 gallon Craftsman shop-vac w/blower attachment.

What I know I need at this point (though I'm sure I haven't thought of it all):
    3 Buckets w/grit guards (at least 2 of these...my buckets are old)
    Good quality MF's (need input on what to buy)
    DA polisher and rotary
    Pads
    Other correction products, polishes, waxes, and sealants
    Tape (have 1 new roll of green 3M)
    More brush's
    Handheld spotlight
    Shop light/spot lights (halogen, LED, or what for this?)

What else gang?

Bill

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I'm not one to discourage you....but you say your body is "broken down." Detailing is NOT easy. I used to detail as a side-gig. I don't really do it, anymore. When people ask me about details, I usually shoot them a price for a detail like I'd want my car detailed right off the bat. Then, they usually don't ask, again. But people don't understand how much work there is in a detail where you're doing paint correction.

I've told friends of mine who have asked me about detailing their rides and who have asked why I don't do it much, anymore "That stuff is a lot like WORK...and I'm getting too old for that sh*t!" It wears me out! It's a lot of stress on the back & knees. At least it is, for me.

More power to ya. But, it's going to be an uphill battle if your body is as you say, "Broken down." Just be ready to have your butt kicked for at least a few cars.

It looks like you have a laundry list of consumer detail products. Don't get me wrong, some of those are fine....but if you source some professional chemicals and learn how to use them, you'll likely save yourself a lot of work and money. There's a reason the pros use that stuff...when it comes down to it, it saves them MONEY! That's what it's all about, isn't it? See if you can find a professional detail supply place in your area. You'll be glad you did!!

As for MFs, I'd get a couple waffle weaves for drying cars (2-3). I personally like the smaller ones over the larger ones b/c they're easier to use, IMO. You'll need some plush MFs for buffing product. I'd go to a Sam's Wholesale and buy the 24 pack of MFs they have there as "junk" MFs. I use them for cleaning interiors, wheels, engine bays. It keeps my good ones from getting all gunked up.

I like to wash with sheepskin mitts for the paint and Terry mitts for the wheels/undercarriage. Once I use one for that, I never put it back on the paint..not even after it's been washed. Those get relegated to those jobs.

My $.02. Spend it as you will. It might be about as valuable as it's cost to you
    Last edited by C_Rock77; 06-24-2011 at 03:11 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Detailing is very hard on your body esp when doing paint correction, or moving around inside of cars.

It seems you have alot of stuff bought over the counter, I would invest in the Pro stuff. Look into the Meguiars Pro line. This is good stuff at a decent price.

Tour going to need some good microfibers, a few buckets.

get yourself some flyers, business cards made up.

Start off by detailing freinds and family cars, Give them your business cards and flyers to pass out once their cars are complete.

Your gonna want to keep you car spotless at all times. This can get you bussiness. If your car is always clean, people will ask he does it for you. Give them one of your cards.

Search function and this forum will become your new best freind.

I would start off with a d/a not a rotory. Rotary, you can burn threw paint very quick. I would get the griots garage da with 5.5 in pads.

Practice practice practice

Post Thanks / Like

I'll ditto what others have said. While the Megs consumer line is quite good (heck I still use Ultimate Compound by hand to get fingernail scratches around door handles), the pro formulas are much faster and do a far nicer job. Use up your consumer line in practice and then go to the pro stuff.

With your DA, I'd get both the Meg's Microfiber System and a couple Lake Counrty 5.5" flat pads (like 2 each orange and white and 1 each grey and blue). See which YOU like better.

Other than that, read A LOT. Start with the detailing How To's on the menu bar at the top of the forum. Then go into Ask The Expert in the forum menu and read all of Mike P's articles (they're a "sticky" at the top of the post list).

Best of luck to you. This is tough work. I would not want to do it for even a part-time job. Like C-Rock said, when friends see my cars and ask me how much to do theirs, I quote them a number that makes them go away. I'll show them how to do it, but I have better things to do than work my butt off for a few bucks.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, the business is just a thought at this point, but I appreciate the concern. These replies and a pm have me thinking of just attempting my own work for now, just to test the waters so-to-speak.

Most of the products that I have I've accumulated over time. I don't have much products in the way of cleaning interiors, and engine compartments though. I'll definately consider the suggestions to move to some professional products when I've used up what I have, or if a particular job calls for products I don't have.

Yes, the search function and how-to's have been quite helpful. Especially, the how-to articles and videos. I shouldn't have any trouble with technique once I do it a time or two. I've just never attempted this kind of detail, but I've got a good eye and great hand-eye coordination. I'm not new to power tools in any way. Taking care of the hull on a 25 ft. Baha Cruiser has helped alot here. I'm confident I can apply what I've learned from Mike's tips and videos to increase my ability and take it to a much higher level. I thought I was doing things right to start with, but digging in and researching has proven otherwise. Good, solid, information is a great thing. Never too old to learn.

This person (Laura), and her thread, has inspired me enormously. Her work is astouding on this car. She's also been kind enough to answer some questions via pm. Here's the link;

Lessons I learned from a Black 2009 BMW 550i

Bill
    Last edited by Hoytman; 06-24-2011 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Added a link

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytman View Post
    I shouldn't have any trouble with technique once I do it a time or two.
    Bill, my buddy, do me a favor and print out your quote and put it were you can see it every time you buff out a car. The day you REALLY understand why I'd suggest that, you will be ready to consider starting your detailing business.

This person (Laura), and her thread, has inspired me enormously. Her work is astouding on this car. She's also been kind enough to answer some questions via pm.
    Thank you very much for the kind words! It's pretty simple: I'm a perfectionist, so whatever I do, I try to do to the best of my ability. And secondly, I love sharing what I've learned in life with anybody who cares enough to listen. The Autogeek family has made both of those things possible. I was another one of the "ignorant with good intentions" two years ago, but through this forum, I have been able to learn and share how to do something that I would have never dreamed possible. So, regardless what you decide for your future, you've found a great place for advice and encouragement.
    -Laura
    2009 Audi A5 3.2L Quattro Deep Sea Blue S-Line & 1986 Jeep CJ7 360 V8 Auto w/B&M Shift Kit

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Laura View Post
    Bill, my buddy, do me a favor and print out your quote and put it were you can see it every time you buff out a car. The day you REALLY understand why I'd suggest that, you will be ready to consider starting your detailing business.
    That didn't come out the way I intended. I just meant I'm good with hand tools and I understand the concepts in some of the how-to clips that Mike has on this forum. You know, like learning how to spread the material out and then slow down. That's all I meant by technique, nothing more. Some people have trouble grasping such a simple thing. I've got much to learn I'm sure.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Some people have trouble grasping such a simple thing.
    ...like my neighbor buffing on the BMW! You'll do great!
    -Laura
    2009 Audi A5 3.2L Quattro Deep Sea Blue S-Line & 1986 Jeep CJ7 360 V8 Auto w/B&M Shift Kit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast