autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Starting a business. Need advice on some subjects.

Let me introduce myself; My name is Chris, and I just turned 17 last week. Been thinking about starting a business for about 6 months now. I first detailed my Avalon back in November, and have done other details since then. Mostly just done family cars, and most recently did a wash clay wax on my neighbor's Silverado.

I have a little bit of advertising going on right now. I just sent out about 40 flyers to my brother in law who posted them at many different fire stations around the area. (No, not detailing firetrucks, just the DD's ). I'm going to post on Craigslist today or tomorrow when I get everything figured out. Might put up a website depending on cost and ease of use.

So I'm going to try and get to the point. I'll also update this thread if I think of more questions.

1. Is a license and insurance absolutely necessary? I'm just doing this for extra cash for the time being. I have a part time day job and one more year of high school to worry about.

2. How do I convince people to let me work on their cars and prove to them how well I can detail a car? My concern is that they'll look at me and think "I don't want some teenager touching my car, let alone for that much money". I totally understand, because even I don't trust most teenagers
    However, I consider myself pretty mature and I can do it myself. I can also drive a stick shift, so no worries if I need to move a car from driveway to garage.

3. What if a customer refuses to pay, or tries lowballing me after I finish? Has this happened to anyone?

4. What if the customer doesn't have a water or power supply I can hook up to? (i.e. Apartment complexes) I'm planning on doing mostly mobile work, and maybe some work if they decide to drop it off at my house.

5. What is the best way of cleaning interior carpet and cloth seats? No way I can afford to spend $700 on a hot water extractor. Right now I have a gallon of Megs APC+, a steam cleaner, and a carpet brush attachment for PC 7424XP. Plus I got a Rigid shop vac which I can use. Is there a better/easier way of cleaning carpets?

Since I'm going to be taking this shop vac around with me, I'll probably end up using my dad's truck when he's not busy since it won't fit in my car.

I'll post my pricing menu tomorrow since Pages is acting up. Stupid Mac
    1999 Toyota Avalon XLS - Diamond White Pearl

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Starting a business. Need advice on some subjects.

the first 3 i cant give advice on since i have no experience with them. but as for #4, ONR!!. power supply not sure unless you have a generator. #4, you dont need an extractor to get good results(but does make it easier) but maybe look around at your grocery stores and see if they have any you could rent? if your shop vac is a wet/dry vacuum which it probably is then just vacuum out loose stuff then use a cleaner (i use folax) and scrub away. blot away excess and vac once more.

Post Thanks / Like

For #2 I would make a portfolio of before and after pictures of cars you have worked on. Maybe ask some of the people who's cars you worked on before to write a testimonial for you.

Post Thanks / Like

#1 check with the city/county gov. IMO you shouldn't have to have a license so long as you are paying taxes. But the insurance depends on whether you think you will mess a dd up or not.

But depending on where you live, the gov. can be a real butt----. Just make sure you’re golden with them, and then worry about insurance as an optional expense. I know if you are going to use a rotary you can blow through some paint repairs pretty easily.
    Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

And here is my pricing menu: Let me know if there's any changes I should make. Constructive criticism appreciated.

Package 1: Starting at $35 for cars and $45 for trucks and SUVs*
    Hand wash and dry exterior
    Clean rims, tires, and wheel wells
    Clean door jambs
    Dress exterior trim with protectant
    Dress tires with tire shine
    Exhaust tips cleaned
    Clean windows
    Usually completed within 90 minutes.

Package 2: Starting at $100 for cars and $120 for trucks and SUVs*
    Package 1
    Vacuum interior
    Clean and dust interior surfaces
    Clay bar (if necessary or requested) +$10-$15
    Wax
    Window sealant
    Usually completed in 4-6 hours

Package 3: Starting at $160 for cars and $190 and trucks and SUVs*
    Package 1
    Package 2
    1 step finishing polish to remove surface defects and restore shine (swirls, dull finish, water spots, etc)
    Wax or sealant

*All prices subject to change depending on condition of vehicle
    1999 Toyota Avalon XLS - Diamond White Pearl

Chris