autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

help with what products to choose for new mobile detail business

im going to be detailing mobile, so i need to use products that are safe to use in the sun or shade. heres a list that i made with all the things that i could think of.
    '
    im debating whether getting a steam cleaner or a hot water extractor, so theyre both listed.

can you help me with choosing products? i have a few in mind, but any help would be great. also, im definitely looking for products that have multiple uses, so i dont have to buy a separate product for each and every little thing.
    I wont be offering paint correction so I don’t need cutting compounds, to start ill just be offering:

Express Exterior Hand Wash
    Wash entire car (maybe with a car wash that has wax in it?), apply tire dressing

Express Interior Detail
    Vacuum, Clean/Protect all surfaces, Clean glass

Complete Express Detail
    Express Hand Wash + Express Interior Detail

Full Exterior Detail
    Wash, clay bar, polish/wax/seal with one-step AIO like poli-seal, apply tire dressing, polish + seal wheels, restore trim with black trim restorer, polish all metal like chrome

Full Interior Detail
    Steam or Shampoo fabric seats and upholstery, clean and condition leather seats (if applicable), clean all hard surfaces, apply protectant on all hard surfaces, apply fabric protection (like scotchgaurd) and add scent.

Complete Detail
    Full Exterior Detail + Full Interior Detail
    I don’t know about my prices yet, but this is the list of products that I think ill need for what ill be offering:

1. Polisher
    a. Porter Cable 7424XP-$125
    i. 4 x 3.5” and 3 x 5” LC Green Polishing/Finishing Pads for AIO- $22+$36=$58
    ii. 3.5” and 5” Backing Plates-$13 + $17= $30
    iii. Pad Conditioner
    iv. Pad Nylon Brush Cleaning Tool=$13

2. Steam Cleaner or Hot Water Carpet Extractor
    a. Vapor Clean II, Not Continous Refill-$369, or Duramaid Mini Hot Water Extractor-$640

3. Wet/Dry Vac
    a. Ridgid WD1450 6hp 14gal-$100
    b. Ridgid Car Cleaning Kit-$40

4. Hand Tools + Towels
    a. Wash Mitt
    b. Microfiber Towels
    c. Bug + Tar Scrub Pad
    d. Carpet Brush
    e. Tooth Brushes
    f. Interior Brush
    g. Set of 3 Detailing Brushes
    h. Wheel Cleaning Brush
    i. Tire Cleaning Brush
    j. Lug Nut Cleaning Brush
    k. Que Tips
    l. Pet Hair Brush
    m. Razor Blades
    n. Scraper
    o. Plastic Razor Blades
    p. 2 Buckets
    q. 2 Grit Guards
    r. Pad +Towel Detergent
    5. Chemicals
    a. Exterior
    i. Wash
    1. Wash
    2. Wash and Wax(?)
    3. Wheel + Tire Cleaner
    4. Bug + Tar Remover
    5. Convertible Top Cleaner
    a. Fabric
    b. Vinyl
    6. Glass Cleaner
    7. Black Trim Cleaner
    a. Needs ability to remove wax stains
    ii. Paint Prep
    1. Clay Bar
    2. Wax Remover/Paint Cleaner
    iii. Waxing/Sealing/Polishing/Restoring/Finishing/Protecting
    1. AIO Cleaner Wax/Sealant- 1 Gal Poliseal-$40
    2. Black Trim Restorer
    3. Wheel Wax
    4. Wheel + Metal + Chrome Polish
    5. Rain-X
    6. Tire Dressing
    b. Interior
    i. Interior Cleaning Spray (Just in Case, will be using steamer for most of interior)
    ii. Interior Protectant, or Interior Cleaner+Protectant in one
    iii. Carpet/Upholstery Pre-treat/Spot Remover
    iv. Carpet/Upholstery Shampoo
    v. Leather Cleaner (Just in Case, will be using steamer for most of interior)
    vi. Leather Conditioner
    vii. Odor Eliminator + Air Freshener

advice?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: help with what products to choose for new mobile detail business

Hello Ride,

Looks like you've got everything covered. I like your packaging too for your services. I've been kicking around a number of similar packages myself. I'd like to know how you plan to price these services as I'm having difficulty in figuring out the best way to price my services too.

While it is more expensive at first I believe that you'll be ahead in the long run with a quality carpet and upholstery extractor. This tool will make short work of dirty carpets and cloth upholstery and will deliver a level of cleaning your customers will enjoy.

How will you be handling the water supply for washing cars with your mobile detailing vehicle?

Midnight Blue

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Hello Ride,

Looks like you've got everything covered. I like your packaging too for your services. I've been kicking around a number of similar packages myself. I'd like to know how you plan to price these services as I'm having difficulty in figuring out the best way to price my services too.

While it is more expensive at first I believe that you'll be ahead in the long run with a quality carpet and upholstery extractor. This tool will make short work of dirty carpets and cloth upholstery and will deliver a level of cleaning your customers will enjoy.

How will you be handling the water supply for washing cars with your mobile detailing vehicle?

Midnight Blue
    i plan on using the customers water and power supply, i havent considered using my own water but i do have a power generator that i could take with me. if i have to caryy around water id probably get something basic, like one of those hand-pump sprayers that have a water tank and pump, and spray water out of a nozzle.

i dont know about pricing yet, but as far as the full exterior and interior detail (with shampooing) goes, ill probably charge somewhere around $125 for a typical sedan.

Post Thanks / Like

The issue I'm having with pricing is that some of the people who are interested in my services have vehicles that are extremely dirty inside and out and require a considerable amount of time and effort to do properly.

I recently took on a "small" detailing project for this friend of mine who needed both his Ford Expedition and his wife's Ford Explorer thoroughly vacuumed out before the start of the Passover Holiday. To make a long story short it took me two hours on each vehicle to completely vacuum them out!

There were crumbs, candy bar wrappers, paper clips, bags, pens, coins, keys and everything under the sun throughout the Expedition. It was necessary to get under and around the seats to remove all of this material. Although he did not ask me to do so I cleaned his Husky floor mats with a degreaser to get out the dried up soda and other crud off the mats.

The wife's Explorer was another challenge as she had spilled a whole bag of kitty litter all over the rear of the vehicle. Again it was the same routine as the Expedition.

He eventually wants me to detail his vehicles but it will take way more time than normal to clean those vehicles up. I will need to use an industrial degreaser just to remove the dirt from the interior before I can apply any dressing. The paint is dull and has numerous scratches and other problems. I don't know what he expects but again to wash, clay bar, polish and wax this vehicle we're talking mucho hours!

I would lose money trying to detail these vehicles in this condition. I now know that I must access the condition of the vehicle along with the owner to let him know what is involved in detailing so that he has an idea of how long it will take to do the job and decide if he can afford to have it done.

Sorry for the rant but this really aggravates me to no end!

Post Thanks / Like

Offer base prices for each package based on the size of the vehichles, and make sure your customers know that the prices change based on condition, and give them quotes based on their vehichle's condition if they inquire the cost.

Post Thanks / Like

I can take care of 90% of my customers with a few basic items. Meguiars APC, Megs window cleaner, tire gel and ONR(or a good car shampoo as needed). Ofcourse an assortment of towels, brushes, buckets and a good vacuum.

My setup is truly mobile as I have a water tank and generator with me at all times. It has helped me target customers I wouldn't otherwise be able to service.

YMMV