autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: steam cleaner or hot water extractor?

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalTenenBaum View Post
    I did the research and bought the VX 5000. I couldn't be happier with my purchase.
    This is one I'm considering since I want something to use on more than just cars. Anything you don't care for or would change about the VX5000?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmm.. I've been pretty happy with the VX 5000. The water capacity is enough that I don't think that I've ever run out of steam on any one vehicle. It heats up in around 8-15 minutes depending on the length of your extension cord. The hose is sufficiently long enough to be convenient and the machine comes with all of the appropriate brushes and tools and then some. In my opinion I don't think that it can be beaten for the price and it has an industrial feel to it. The entire machine is made of stainless steel and the rubber hoses and tools seem to be very durable. I'm sure that there are some more expensive steamers out there that would have more cleaning power but if I were to buy another steamer I would buy another VX 5000. No complaints.

Post Thanks / Like

welllll i ordered an aztec hot water extractor and a mcculouch mc1275 steamer, ill use the aztec for carpets/floormats/upholstery and the steamer to help with interior hard surfaces, leather, doorjams, tight spots, and taking out gum or melted tootsie candy...not that ive ever accidentally left some in my cupholder or anything...in the sun...:P

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ride5150 View Post
    yeah but what if you have a really large heavy stain, like a kid spilled juice all over the floor? if i use the steamer then i have to pretreat, spray cleaner, scrub/steam, extract, spray cleaner, scrub/steam, extract, and keep repeating this over and over again until its gone.
    Not necessarily. Until you use a steamer, you have no idea how good it is at taking out most stains. Wrap a white terry towel around the end and you'll be disgusted at what gets pulled out and transferred to the towel.

it just seems like a steamer without a built in extractor would be more benefecial for hard to reach hard surfaces, while a hot water extractor would be better for upholstery and carpets. it constantly applies solution and extracts, i dont have to do it seperately like with a steamer

ill be running a business with this, so i really cant half-ass an interior shampoo...i just wish the extractors that could stand daily-use were cheaper

im kindof set on buying the mccullouch 1275 in addition to a hot water extractor, im just looking for an extractor that will be good enough to use on a daily basis but wont be $700...
    I use the VaporClean Gaia. It is an extractor, steamer and vacuum all in one. It's about $750. I've had mine 3 years and it's been great. You should also look at the Desiderio from them too although it's more $$.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ride5150 View Post
    Im starting a mobile detailing business soon and am contemplating between buying a steam cleaner or a hot water extractor. i know that with a steam cleaner ill be able to do interiors with less effort, like cleaning the dash and all the small crevices. im sure a steam cleaner will be easier to use since itll blow dust out of the hard to reach places and cup holders...and will make it very easy to clean leather seats

the only issue i have is with cleaning the upholstery. with an extractor, i can deep clean the fabric seats and upholstery well, and probably without much effort. pretreat and scrub with brush IF necessary then go over w extractor, or just use the extractor alone without scrubbing and pretreating first if stains arent too bad.

with a steamer, ill have to spray down the seats + upholstery with shampoo, scrub with the triangle brush attatchment while steaming, extract with my shop vac, then probably go over the area again with just steam this time (to "rinse" out the soap), and then extract with the shop vac again.

if theres a bigggg stain, like a large tomato juice spill, it seems that it will be much easier to clean with a hot water extractor than with a steamer. just extract w extractor, vs spray with shampoo + steam + scrub +extract + steam again + extract again. and it seems like an extractor will do a better job.

what do you use to clean upholstery? what procedure?

other thigns to consider, i was thinking about getting the "Vapor Clean II" steamer by vapor clean-$369, or the duramaid mini hot water extractor-$640. theres almost a $300 price difference
    It would be nice to get both if possible. But if not I think the extractor will be worth the investment, especially since a steam cleaner will take so long to go through the process.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello Royal,

I am very interested in your comment here since i am in the very same boat!

I am trying to deliver the best results to my customers and find that it is taking too long to finish the detail and im not getting perfect results. Some customers expect their seats to come out brighter and whiter and i know extractors can do these jobs great. But i have a vx5000 and i apply my shampoo steam over and wipe with a microfiber and i keep repeating to get a pretty good result and finish a full interior car detail in four hours!.

Am i too slow what am i doing that is wrong and will a ninja extractor help me achieve these perfect results my customers want? I am willing to pay 1500 for a good extractor if it will help me finish in a faster time and get better results.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234