autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

How much to charge for exterior detail (rookie)

My boss @ the construction company that I work for has a side business selling a few used vehicles.

He always knew I was a gearhead and noticed how anal I am about keeping my truck detailed & asked if I was interested in working some extra hrs detailing the used vehicles he gets in, I agreed to do it and thanks to this site and alot of practice I have come a LONG way in the past year.

Recently a friend of his was blown away by a polish job that I did on a beat up 94 Chevy that I brought back from the dead.

He (bosses friend) came thru the shop today and asked if I would be interested in working my magic on a 05 F-250 Superduty crew cab long box with moderate scratches & heavy swirling, of course I am interested and I feel confident enough to do a professional job, but he might not realise it would take me at least 8hrs to it & even though I dont expect to get paid as a professional because it not my profession, I dont want to get bent over either. Any ideas how much I should charge? Heres an approximate of what it would include. (exterior only)

-Wash
    -Clay bar
    -M105/205
    -LSP
    -Hand polish aftermarket rims
    -Tire/Trim revive,protect

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How much to charge for exterior detail (rookie)

That is alot of real estate to knock out in 8 hrs IMO. Unless of course you are using a rotary with skills. But, as a "friend" detail I wouldnt touch it for less than 150. Your market area may or may not support that but for a friend it would be fair to me. Plus, you may pick up some referrals and that's where cutting prices pays off at times.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Porsche Pilot View Post
    That is alot of real estate to knock out in 8 hrs IMO. Unless of course you are using a rotary with skills. But, as a "friend" detail I wouldnt touch it for less than 150. Your market area may or may not support that but for a friend it would be fair to me. Plus, you may pick up some referrals and that's where cutting prices pays off at times.
    your right it is alot to cover in 8hrs which is why I said "at least" (but yes I will be using a rotary) I did a quick search of detailing company websites in my area and you are on par, for the job I am doing they would start @ $150 & seeing as I have a reputation yet to prove I cant really charge the price of a pro.

Post Thanks / Like

i did a f-350 dueller awhile ago... ext and quick Int... One-Step on paint since it was a work truck he didnt wanted to be perfect. charged him 300. took me 8hrs.