autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Tedious work

Post Thanks / Like

Tedious work

A client recently asked me if I offer undercarriage cleaning, I told him it's not a regular service but I will do it. I read up on it and it seems like tedious work. What does a cleaning and protection of the undercarriage usually run? I've searched a little on the web but it's mostly DIY cleaning nothing about how much it costs. The car is a 2010 Cadillac CTS-V so I don't think it'll be too bad, although it is a winter driven car.
    It's never too late to learn a little.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tedious work

It seems impossible to find someone in this area that would do undercarriage, I have been looking for someone that would do it, (I'm in White Plains, NY. And frequently go to CT).

You would think that with all the salt there would be more people that would do this...

I think I remember seen someone in here suggesting using a water hose with a sprinkler to loosen up everything...

As far as the costs goes, try to guess how long it will take you, and what your hourly rate is...

And after this job, send me a PM giving me your price for doing this on a Jeep Commander...

Post Thanks / Like

Paste this into your search bar.
    The HYDE Pivot Nozzle Wand For Pressure Washers
    This combined with a clever way of applying a pre cleaning solution (APC) and an undercarriage protectant and it's as easy as any other cleaning chore in detailing.

Post Thanks / Like

Let me get the hang of it and I'll definitely let you know
    Thanks for the pricing tips as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kdubski View Post

What does a cleaning and protection of the undercarriage usually run?

That would depend on exactly what your client wants, and how much your client is willing to pay. You will need a method of raising the car off of the ground, at least 1-2 feet, preferably a professional type lift.

As far as protection, some type of rubber undercoating would be in order. If you don't have a method of raising the car off of the ground, forget it.

Are you mechanically inclined? Are you familiar with proper lifting/jacking points on automobiles? If you decide to use jackstands, be very careful, as you will be underneath the car.

Post Thanks / Like

I do have access to a professional lift because my uncle has a repair shop, but that's like 15 minutes away so I may just go with the jack stands as I'm pretty used to working under cars. I'm not looking forward to laying under a car for a few hours though

Quote Originally Posted by Fly bye View Post

That would depend on exactly what your client wants, and how much your client is willing to pay. You will need a method of raising the car off of the ground, at least 1-2 feet, preferably a professional type lift.

As far as protection, some type of rubber undercoating would be in order. If you don't have a method of raising the car off of the ground, forget it.

Are you mechanically inclined? Are you familiar with proper lifting/jacking points on automobiles? If you decide to use jackstands, be very careful, as you will be underneath the car.

Post Thanks / Like

I do have access to a professional lift because my uncle has a repair shop, but that's like 15 minutes away so I may just go with the jack stands as I'm pretty used to working under cars. I'm not looking forward to laying under a car for a few hours though
    If I was you, I would just tell the customer to drop of the car at your uncles shop, using a lift would make the job so much easier... If I had access to a lift I would do it my self...

Post Thanks / Like

We do undercarriage detailing on our very high end details. In fact, we are in the process of doing one now for a 31 Ford Roadster that we're getting ready for car show coming up in Feb. I would really question the owner to find out "Exactly" what they are looking for. If it's just a cleaning to remove the winter grim, then just about any good APC, brushes, rags, and possibly some good water pressure should do the trick. I would expect that the Cadi has already been protected with undercoating being it was purchased in an area with adverse weather conditions.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not even sure, I'll have to talk to my client more in depth about the car and when it's driven. Do high end cars usually come with undercarriage protection?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not even sure, I'll have to talk to my client more in depth about the car and when it's driven. Do high end cars usually come with undercarriage protection?
    That would depend on what kind of "High End" car you are talking about. There are high end cars for use as a daily driver, then there are those for show and special occasions. The majority of the higher priced cars we've done that are daily drivers typically have the undercoating applied. While show cars may or may not have it applied. It depends on the car and the owners preference. I would ask the owner to find out what they are looking to accomplish with having the undercarriage cleaned/detailed. There is a huge difference between cleaning and detailing an undercarriage.