autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Starting off

Post Thanks / Like

Starting off

More then likely when most of you started off you accepted cash only payments (most probably still do ;P ) since it's the easiest and most convenient, but where I'm getting at is was there ever a case where the client refused to pay you after because they weren't satisfied or for some other bogus reason? I've been doing mostly family and friend cars up until now and I'm getting friends of friends that want their cars done, but since they're not close to me I'm trying to figure out a fool proof method to make sure people pay each time, no bs. I want to be prepared for ridiculous stuff before it hits me

It's never too late to learn a little.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Starting off

Quote Originally Posted by kdubski View Post
    More then likely when most of you started off you accepted cash only payments (most probably still do ;P ) since it's the easiest and most convenient, but where I'm getting at is was there ever a case where the client refused to pay you after because they weren't satisfied or for some other bogus reason? I've been doing mostly family and friend cars up until now and I'm getting friends of friends that want their cars done, but since they're not close to me I'm trying to figure out a fool proof method to make sure people pay each time, no bs. I want to be prepared for ridiculous stuff before it hits me

I've Never had an issue with this at all! Granted, that doesn't mean it will never happen - and I pray it doesn't. I do except credit cards (a must for my military fleet that I do) and that can take about a week to get excepted for - they do a rigorous screening and for a good reason. I've accepted checks and again have never had an issue. It is smart going into this business thinking this way, but as long as you are honest with your customer, have a good attitude and do the best job possible there shouldn't be any issues.

For a few of my clients I have specialty "menus" that cater only to them.... they check what they want done and that is what I do and get paid for.... almost like a simple contract. You could always go that route, but once again I think you would be ok sticking with the three steps I mentioned before. Feel free to join the social group I just started called, "Let Us Help Each Other Succeed" - just started it the other day!
    Bates Detailing
    Auto * RV * Bus * Boat * Aircraft * UFOs
    http://www.batesdetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

How do we join?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tfullercdi View Post
    How do we join?
    Go to USER CP - click
    Scroll down and go to Social Groups - click it
    Then you should see it in there
    Bates Detailing

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, thank you

Post Thanks / Like

Even for the clients that are regulars, do you give them a receipt or anything? I'm thinking about doing invoices, that might be too serious for this type of work though. Also I'm confident in my work so before I do any work I'd most likely do a walk around with client point out major defects and show them what I would be working on, so there is no funny business after.

Quote Originally Posted by B&B Tennessee View Post
    I've Never had an issue with this at all! Granted, that doesn't mean it will never happen - and I pray it doesn't. I do except credit cards (a must for my military fleet that I do) and that can take about a week to get excepted for - they do a rigorous screening and for a good reason. I've accepted checks and again have never had an issue. It is smart going into this business thinking this way, but as long as you are honest with your customer, have a good attitude and do the best job possible there shouldn't be any issues.

For a few of my clients I have specialty "menus" that cater only to them.... they check what they want done and that is what I do and get paid for.... almost like a simple contract. You could always go that route, but once again I think you would be ok sticking with the three steps I mentioned before. Feel free to join the social group I just started called, "Let Us Help Each Other Succeed" - just started it the other day!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kdubski View Post
    Even for the clients that are regulars, do you give them a receipt or anything? I'm thinking about doing invoices, that might be too serious for this type of work though. Also I'm confident in my work so before I do any work I'd most likely do a walk around with client point out major defects and show them what I would be working on, so there is no funny business after.
    For myself - being 100% Mobile - I only produce a receipt if they request one. I've done work for individuals that will write of their detail because they use their vehicle for work purposes (couriers, taxi's, etc).

I always do a walk around with the client first.

Then I always ask them if there is any problematic area that they want concentration on - this question normally points out why they called you to begin with. Sometimes someone will ask for interior detail and what they were truly wanting was an annoying stain that catches their attention out the corner of their eye. Something maybe you would've missed if you hadn't asked. So I ALWAYS ask that question.

Last - I do a final walk around and ask if their is anything else that they need (in a polite and professional manner of course). Many times - I seriously get tossed extra money....
    in fact I went like 5 jobs in a row where they tossed me $20 to $30 dollars more for a job, when it came to that 6th job - I was disappointed when I only got what I asked for LOL!

You should be fine man!
    Last edited by Bates Detailing; 01-19-2011 at 09:42 PM. Reason: spelling oops
    Bates Detailing

Post Thanks / Like

There's where we differ, I'm 100% stationary. Thats a good question to ask because when I first discovered the wash it yourself car wash I always came out disappointed with the bird crap and sap still on the car, until I found AG .
    Maybe you where too cocky with your work on that 6th job and didn't do as good of a job. Just joking but family and friends where shocked the first few times when they saw their cars done by me, they haven't seen life outside the touch less car washes, so that must be the case with your clients. Thanks for the encouragement bro, I'll keep you and the rest of AG informed!

Post Thanks / Like

I think this may be a common fear of someone starting out. But, honestly...I've never had a customer refuse to pay. I've never even had someone leave unhappy for that matter. Just state what services they will be getting...you perform them well, and they're always happy. If they are not, drop what you're doing and make them happy.

You'll find that your customers will most likely be surprisingly nice, and a lot of times trust your work and not question you.

I must say though...I've heard stories from my customers who may have had an issue with a previous detailer. So it does happen...but, if you perform a job well done. You've got nothing to worry about. Just respect their expectations. Customer is always right!

Post Thanks / Like

I've dealt with this before (customer that cannot be pleased) If they refuse to pay me, I refuse to give them there keys
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast