autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

How much would this be worth??

I am detailing a 1991 VW Jetta diesel that was FUBAR upon delivery... its a single stage so the results are great but this car took TONS of work since it was so damn beat up... and now the $200 I am asking for seems to be too much for the customer to swallow.

engine bay:

after:

exterior:

after 2 step polish, 2 coats of liquid glass:

He had his "detailing" buddy who works at a dealership do it last time and charged 120, but says he only used 1 pad to do the whole car, while I had to change pads damn near every panel because it was so bad. I also did the engine bay, and ill be doing the interior... the last guy hit it so damn hard that he wore the paint down to primer in several spots, but has my customer convinced that I did it, even though I showed my customer the spots when he dropped it off.

I am sick and tired of people wanting the world, but only wanting to pay minimum wage for it.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How much would this be worth??

I would've run from a customer that wasn't willing to pay more than 200 for a full detail on a car in that condition. It is not worth the time or overhead for you. Personally I never even pull out the polisher for less than 150 unless for a quick coat of sealant on already near perfect paint. 2 stage polishing needs to be in the 300 range with interior included.

You may want to advise cheap customers in the future of a local carwash that can give them an "express" detail for 50 bucks. That is what they want.

However, nice work on the car, it looks great.
    Jon Miles

Post Thanks / Like

I'd say take what he's willing to give you and then next time he calls you tell him to go to his dealership buddy. I would have charged double what you are asking him to pay but that's just me. Around here the local work release car wash charges more than $200 for what they call a full detail which consists of a one step product with heavy fillers applied with a wool pad only. The car looks very nice though. Good job!!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

the customer is coming over tomorrow to get the car. he wont pay me what I want, and wants to talk in person, while viewing the car. I will gladly do so, but I am so pissed that people want the world, but dont want to pay more than a drive through car wash.

this is not anywhere near my first car detail, but I am thinking it's my last.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's the thing - you can't get a steak from McDonald's Dollar Menu.

I think $200 for what you did is a steal, but you can kindly tell your customer, "You want to play, you got to pay. You feel me homie?" Just my two cents.
    Shane
    2021 Honda Civic Hatchback EX Lunar Silver

Post Thanks / Like

My Grandmother used to say, "steal from me once, shame on you...Steal from me twice, shame on me.."

Post Thanks / Like

You have his car and provided the work at a VERY fair price. Car doesn't leave till you get paid. Seems simple to me

Really though, you added way more than $200 to the resale value of his car so where is his issue here? He couldn't get nearly that value anywhere else so I'd say stay firm on what you want/deserve.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow that was a nasty looking car and its beautiful now!

Giving the customer the benefit of the doubt he may notb fully understand all the work involved and how many hours you put in so make sure you explain that well to him and he may be more understanding and willing to pay.

I agree that was a steal for 200 bucks!

Dont get too discouraged . Most people are not like that in my experience !

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not understanding this. Didn't you agree on a price before you did the detail? If you did, and now he won't pay it, you can call the cops, etc. Of course this is all complicated if you don't have a written agreement, if you don't have a real business, etc. Oh, and it sounded like you didn't do the interior yet..if you're not going to get paid for your work, you'd better stop working, don't you think?

Post Thanks / Like

It will be very tough to hang on to the car until you receive payment if you're not a legitimate business. If this is just your hobby or side job for under the table cash, you will have to settle for what you can and avoid the customer in the future. Lucky for me I don't do this stuff for a living so I can be very picky with my customers. I hope this works out for you and you will be able to recover some cash for the time spent. As others have stated, you did way more than $200 worth of work and the car looks nice.

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast