autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Maintenance Brochure

Hey all, first post here but have been lurking for a while now.

I need some help making a maintenance brochure to give to new customers about what they can do to keep up the shine and clean interior between details. Any one have one they care to share or have any suggestions for one?

Thanks for the help.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Maintenance Brochure

Welcome to the forum! Umm you can start with telling them about proper ways to wash the car. With good washing etiquette, everything else is much easier.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes I will be doing that, just trying to think of some things to put in it kinda like a recommended cleaning schedule and such. Some people know some people have no clue so to be able to hand them something they can stick on the fridge, in the glove box etc. would be handy I think.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the best way to do that would be via email. Most people check their emails regularly. I dont open my mail a lot more than i do my glove box. Just my opinion

Post Thanks / Like

Typically you can wash your car once a week, as well as clean your rims. Tell them they can use a spray on wax or quick detailer protectant (give instructions on all of these) to keep it clean before their next detail.

It's pretty straight forward, anything you can do w/ out the use of a machine and OTC products I'd recommend to them.

Tell them about wash materials, microfibers, etc... Maybe talk about regular maintenance giving their trade in value top dollar (not always true, but it is a fact the better the inside and out, better your trade number).

Teach them the 5-step process or just break it down. Show an image of your 4 stage paint and types of contaiminents that can affect it.

• How often/to wash
    • Wash/Dry materials
    • How to clay bar/when (teach them the baggy test)
    • Difference between polish/wax
    • When to apply sealants and polishes
    • How long they usually last
    • Quick detailers in between car washes
    • Spray on wax for temporary protection (also AIO waxes)

It's just really what you want to teach them. Honestly I'd just stick with wash methods, drying, and spray waxes/QD's with a MF towel. That's really all they need to know, seems like waxing would be daunting to most people who aren't enthusiasts. It never hurts to educate your customers though. Then again, tell them too much on cleaning and the next thing you know it could come back to haunt you. Teach simple wax methods or claybaring, then you have them calling up asking about swirls, cobwebbing, finger marks from wrong pad technique and micro marring because they messed up. Best of luck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrHandWash View Post
    Honestly I'd just stick with wash methods, drying, and spray waxes/QD's with a MF towel. . . . tell them too much on cleaning and the next thing you know it could come back to haunt you.
    10-4...teach them too much and you may loose some business.

Educate your customers on how not to screw up what you're doing to the car, and realistically when waxes, sealants etc need to be redone.

You could also include short pieces on all the work YOU do, the high points so they can appreciate the work that goes into your services (and why your prices are very fair).

Ask yourself "what do my customers need to know to buy more from me / more often?"

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Very good points, thanks.
    I was thinking about basic car cleaning not any waxing, polishing at all. Dont really know if its something that I need as I have been telling everyone these things but figured some might like it in black and white.

Thanks for all the help!

Post Thanks / Like

As Scuba mentioned, and as did I... teach them too much and you will lose business. Honestly, you could teach them more while making them come to you more often.

Mention time frames on how long to get it waxed again. If people know products last X% of the year, then they will be more likely to come back to you. A lot of people think a wax is a one-year long ordeal. I would defintely specify that waxes are at least a twice annual thing. One coat for summer (UV protection) and one for fall/winter (Salt and Rust protection).

Post Thanks / Like

I think the others summed it up well, but I think you should just make a pamphlet strictly on how to properly wash the vehicle, clean the rims and tires, and apply a quick detailer. Maybe suggest time frames for them to come back to see you for claying, wax/sealant, polishing etc... Heck, I suppose you could even get them started by throwing in a sponge, some shampoo or qd when they get a full detail from you. Perhaps you could also make some suggestions about what products you recommend, that are readily available.

Post Thanks / Like

Whatever you do, keep it all on 1 page and don't make it a hard read or they won't read it at all.
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast