autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Take a look and give me your thoughts.

Hello all,

I just had my website designer finish up the final few changes on my website. I would like you guys to take a look at it and give me your thoughts.

I am looking for constructive feed back so if you feel the need the to be mean or rude I would ask that you keep your thoughts to yourself.

Please take a look at the SoCal Auto Spa site.

Thanks!

Much appreciated!

PS. They are still working on the pricing/service page. I don't want it as a PDF.
    The SoCal Family,

SoCal Auto Spa
    www.SoCalAutoSpa.com
    SoCal Mobile Auto Detail
    www.TheSoCalWay.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Take a look and give me your thoughts.

Where do I start...

The top banner should be JUST big enough to contain your legible contact information.

The social networking links (Should be gone, imo) but would be less intrusive if they were on the bottom and about 50% in size. Also, there's really no need for every single one. Major web design faux pas. It's like the flashing text and mouse-trails of the mid 90s, if you recall... Pick just the three most popular and put them at the bottom with both a text and icon link, if you must have them.

Move your special offers to where the social networking buttons leave a void. I almost didn't notice them.

Web design feng shui dictates that you should have the important stuff at the left, top, and center.

Right, and bottom right are for unimportant things (like polls and fun-facts, that kind of thing.)

Honestly, and I don't mean this in a rude way - it looks like someone loaded a Joomla template and used the dart-board method for placement. I would highly suggest looking at other successful sites (I dont mean just mobile detailing) and seeing how people do effective element placing.

One other small note - Blue and grey text on blue gradient backgrounds are not legible enough. White on blue would be much better.
    Last edited by 2K4CE; 11-01-2010 at 01:11 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you really need the menu on both the top and side?
    Shane
    2021 Honda Civic Hatchback EX Lunar Silver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2K4CE View Post
    You made me itchy to close the window with the oversized top banner, but you totally lost me at the massive giant clutter of social networking buttons.

Lol... Those are just links to most of the social media sites that you can follow my company on.

Thanks!

I am noting all feedback and will make changes that I feel will help.
    The SoCal Family,

SoCal Auto Spa
    www.SoCalAutoSpa.com
    SoCal Mobile Auto Detail
    www.TheSoCalWay.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Do you really need the menu on both the top and side?
    From what I am told and the research I have done. Most sites give you options for the service menus. It is a bit much... But some people like them on the side and some on top. Why not have both?
    The SoCal Family,

SoCal Auto Spa
    www.SoCalAutoSpa.com
    SoCal Mobile Auto Detail
    www.TheSoCalWay.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2K4CE View Post
    Where do I start...

The top banner should be JUST big enough to contain your legible contact information.

The social networking links (Should be gone, imo) but would be less intrusive if they were on the bottom and about 50% in size. Also, there's really no need for every single one. Major web design faux pas. It's like the flashing text and mouse-trails of the mid 90s, if you recall... Pick just the three most popular and put them at the bottom with both a text and icon link, if you must have them.

Move your special offers to where the social networking buttons leave a void. I almost didn't notice them.

Web design feng shui dictates that you should have the important stuff at the left, top, and center.

Right, and bottom right are for unimportant things (like polls and fun-facts, that kind of thing.)

Honestly, and I don't mean this in a rude way - it looks like someone loaded a Joomla template and used the dart-board method for placement. I would highly suggest looking at other successful sites (I dont mean just mobile detailing) and seeing how people do effective element placing.

One other small note - Blue and grey text on blue gradient backgrounds are not legible enough. White on blue would be much better.

WOW!!! You make some really good points!
    Thanks for the feedback!
    BTW - Didnt think your comment was rude at all.
    The SoCal Family,

SoCal Auto Spa
    www.SoCalAutoSpa.com
    SoCal Mobile Auto Detail
    www.TheSoCalWay.com

Post Thanks / Like

2k4 makes alot of good points and as a professional. I have to agree.

somethings i noticed was that it seems some what unorganized.

the pricing page is a PDF, a big NO NO. now less then half of your potential customers are not seeing your pricing sheet because they are either too scared to download stuff or dont know how.

the social networks. Never heard of half of them. Use facebook and twitter. everything else is a waste of time.

the about us page just regurgitates information from the main page.

the graphics are not rendered correctly. the text in the banner is blocky and pixelated. leading me to believe that it was done in something like MS Paint or other very basic image editing programs. I suggest using photoshop, illustrator or even photoshop elements.

also the color scheme is tiring. im not saying to change your entire color scheme you can use that blue and yellow i guess it is. but carrying those blues over into the rest of the site is a little much. i kind of feel like im looking at a Sham Wow box. I suggest trying to find a more complimentary color scheme. you can use blues, but dont use such a vibrant blue every where.

Post Thanks / Like

My site isn't together yet because I'm not really in a hurry to launch my mobile detailing thingum.

But I'll share the mockup I did for my layout.

This isn't exactly to scale. Notice the proportions of things, though.
    I used the middle as the place to put my biggest graphics/most flashy stuff. (NOT shockwave flash) The attention grabbing stuff that would make me money. This is where people look first.

The top navigation bar would be fairly fancy looking and likely include a search.
    The bottom one would be plain text only, mostly for search engine optimization.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Fire the clown who wrote the home page copy, then fire your web designer.

The first paragraph should tell the reader WHAT YOU DO, not what's located next to you. It should be paragrph three or four. All of it is poorly written.

Get rid of the crappy photos. The SUV with chopped off front and rear with an industrial street background, the poorly framed Harley, etc.

This makes your bikini car wash slide show look good!

(Don't tell you web (cough) designer, but maybe he should copy ideas from successful sites like, oh I don't know....Autogeek.net? Nah, that's too simple and to practical.)

P.S.: Do you really need "OFFICE" in front of your telephone number? I mean, I wouldn't want to confuse it with the other numbers at the top of your home page.

Post Thanks / Like

next to the picture of the white Audi, it says"Top knotch customer service by our experienced auto detailing experts." there is no "k" in Notch. It also says"High-End Luxury Treat your luxury vehicle to a wonderful spa treatment!
    Wax and Detail We use the finest, high-end products to pamper your vehicle! " I think that the finest, high end is bit redundant. Aren't ALL of the finest products high end by definition? Also, maybe it's just me, but when you have said "Road Warriors De-Stress, Clean, Spoil your custom bike", I think, Spoil your bike?? How is your bike going to really know? I have a bit of animism in myself, but I think that is a bit much. I think that makes paying for detailing for your motorcycle sound a bit frivolous, only for the most eccentric somewhat auto-erotically inclined. I actually believe that to be a pretty limited clientele. The idea is to spoil the customer with the luxury of a nicely detailed vehicle that they can be proud to show off and ride.
    Last edited by Blackthorn One; 11-01-2010 at 06:27 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast