autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Help? Pricing and packages

I've been offering exterior detailing for friends in past months, and since then, I've been getting much interest from other people who see the results. I have about 8 people now that want me to detail their cars! For the past couple weekends, I've been doing exterior details for a little money, and I've compiled a few "packages" with a range of pricing that is based on my judgement of vehicle size and condition. I also priced it so that I make approximately $20 per hour. I could use your opinion. I'm no pro, but I've had very good results and great feedback. I'm told I should be charging more, but I don't know how much would be too much.

Cleanse and Polish: $60-80 (Takes 3-4 hours)

Wash/dry, clay, use a polish/cleaner (XMT 360), then follow up with Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax 2.0

Swirl Removal: $80-100 (4-5 hours)

All of the above, including using a medium compound that finishes LSP-ready or near-LSP-ready, like Meg's UC or OPT Hyper Polish Spray, then following up with 360, then NXT 2.0

Paint Correction: $100-120 (5-6 hours)

All of the above, including using 105 for heavy defect removal, then following up with UC and 360, then NXT 2.0

In all packages, I also clean wheels and tires. I also dress tires and exterior rubber/plastic trim.

I also have an option of applying a sealant, either Klasse or WGDGPS, for an extra $20.

How could I improve upon my pricing and packages? What products do you recommend using or recommend using instead? Should I substitute using NXT 2.0 for Meg's UQW for quicker application? Any suggestions and advice is highly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help? Pricing and packages

I personally think $20/hr is a good number to be working around.

I'm no pro either, actually going to be doing (or attempting to do) my first car that is not owned by me this weekend. A simple one step on a older Honda Accord. Hopefully it will turn out good enough to post results of here on AG.

I'm not sure about the $20 extra for sealant. The stuff I've ready here and on other forums make it sound like it is no more harder to apply/remove then a normal wax so why the extra charge? I could understand if your doing a sealant then have to come back the next day (assuming your mobile) to apply a paste wax.

How are you working in the cost of supplies? I trying to figure that part of the puzzle out now. Thinking something along the lines of if a job costs say $100, charge $110. Take the $10 and put it towards chemical replacement. You/business pocket the $100. This would probably only work for us weekend warriors who don't have the other expenses of a business like rent, car payment etc etch.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What do you think I should do about the sealant option? True, application isn't harder than of a wax, but WGDGPS takes quite some time to dry before buffing off, and KSG is sometimes a pain to buff off (because I apply too much sometimes). I was thinking of making it a $10 option for application of either a sealant or a carnauba, and as standard, I'll apply the NXT or UQW. I just want the extra bit of cash to offset the cost of sealant/wax and extra time spent. Should I just add the carnauba wax or sealant options into the packages at no extra cost, or raise the package prices slightly?

I haven't done much in working in the cost of supplies. I was actually planning on bumping up overall prices by about $10 in a month or two because of the fast rate of growth of my customer base. It's only been one week since I did my friend's MkV GTI, and his co-workers have been asking about me. The way I see it, if I start charging more, I'm only going to get better products and more skillful with time, and it will just be "given back" to the customers who pay the raised price and who keep coming back. I also only do this on the weekends on my spare time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AFRich337 View Post
    What do you think I should do about the sealant option? True, application isn't harder than of a wax, but WGDGPS takes quite some time to dry before buffing off, and KSG is sometimes a pain to buff off (because I apply too much sometimes).

I was thinking of making it a $10 option for application of either a sealant or a carnauba, and as standard, I'll apply the NXT or UQW. I just want the extra bit of cash to offset the cost of sealant/wax and extra time spent. Should I just add the carnauba wax or sealant options into the packages at no extra cost, or raise the package prices slightly?

I don't think I'd make seperate packages for either wax or sealant. Create one Wash/LSP package and give the customer the choice, wax or sealant. If they want both, adding a small charge for the wax would not be out of line (so long as you don't over do the price jump)

I haven't done much in working in the cost of supplies. I was actually planning on bumping up overall prices by about $10 in a month or two because of the fast rate of growth of my customer base. It's only been one week since I did my friend's MkV GTI, and his co-workers have been asking about me. The way I see it, if I start charging more, I'm only going to get better products and more skillful with time, and it will just be "given back" to the customers who pay the raised price and who keep coming back. I also only do this on the weekends on my spare time.
    I'm no business man by any stretch of the imagination, but I'd say don't play with price increases for a while, say 6 -12 months. Sounds like your still learning (as I am) not sure how much your going to learn in 1 or 2 months that would justify the increase.

Also increasing the prices, were would that put you with others in your area? You don't want to go higher then everybody, especially if your still learning. Go higher then the rest and people might think your better then the rest and expect nothing but perfect results every time.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds good. I think I'll take your advice on the sealant option as well as the increase in price. Though I do think that making the sealant option separate, maybe at $10, would take care of the issue of the cost of supplies. We'll see how it turns out. If it doesn't seem popular, then I will just make it an option within the packages.

In my area, I don't think anyone does any defect removal for nearly the same price, nor do very many shops apply sealants. Everything here in Germany is a bit more costly as well. The only other inexpensive place to go to get your car detailed is on base, but I've seen their work, and all they do is only wash and (spray) wax. There is only one other detailer that works on the weekends, but he kind of just "disappeared" from the local classifieds website a couple months ago.

Post Thanks / Like

$20/hour is okay if you're just out to make pocket money, but if iti becomes a full-time business you'll be selling your services for cheap and losing money of those expensive chemicals. I haven't done detailing for anyone other than friends, but when I did handyman work I was charging based on $30/hour and was told by several customers that I became friends with that I could ask for a lot more. Another friend that had a pool service suggested raising my rate until people balked, then back off a bit. He said that his rate got up to $70/hour before he had some pushback. But then, detailing is more of a discretionary expense for most where keeping a pool maintained is a requirement if you want to actually use it.

The problem with detailing is that everyone and their mother think that they can do a great job, so there isn't a perception of any science to it, You have to be able to explain and/or show why your expertise is going to justify your price.

Like a certain pro that writes on here said, "Soccer moms just want the car to be clean, shiny, and smell good. They really don't care if you used a seven step process or not". Marketing to them might involve more price than quality. I guess it boils down to having several packages to choose from. One basic one for a nice looking car, and others to take it to the next levels - and price it accordingly.

Good luck. If my job ever fails I may be joining the ranks of the detailers myself.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds good. I think I'll take your advice on the sealant option as well as the increase in price. Though I do think that making the sealant option separate, maybe at $10, would take care of the issue of the cost of supplies. We'll see how it turns out. If it doesn't seem popular, then I will just make it an option within the packages.
    Yeah give it a try, you have nothing to loose.

Keep us up to date on how things are working out for you.

Like you've already done with this post, don't hesitate to ask questions and look around. I've read and learn a lot from some of the older posts that people have made.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the opinions and advice! If anything new comes up, I'll be sure to update.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: Help? Pricing and packages

Quote Originally Posted by RLove View Post
    $20/hour is okay if you're just out to make pocket money, but if iti becomes a full-time business you'll be selling your services for cheap and losing money of those expensive chemicals. I haven't done detailing for anyone other than friends, but when I did handyman work I was charging based on $30/hour and was told by several customers that I became friends with that I could ask for a lot more. Another friend that had a pool service suggested raising my rate until people balked, then back off a bit. He said that his rate got up to $70/hour before he had some pushback. But then, detailing is more of a discretionary expense for most where keeping a pool maintained is a requirement if you want to actually use it.

The problem with detailing is that everyone and their mother think that they can do a great job, so there isn't a perception of any science to it, You have to be able to explain and/or show why your expertise is going to justify your price.

Like a certain pro that writes on here said, "Soccer moms just want the car to be clean, shiny, and smell good. They really don't care if you used a seven step process or not". Marketing to them might involve more price than quality. I guess it boils down to having several packages to choose from. One basic one for a nice looking car, and others to take it to the next levels - and price it accordingly.

Good luck. If my job ever fails I may be joining the ranks of the detailers myself.

Thanks for your well though out comments. I plan to do Auto Detailing as a part time business which will hopefully grow into a full time business over time as I build a customer base. I'm looking to start this coming spring.

In the past I've done auto detailing for myself, family and friends including preparing cars for shows. Before starting out I am looking for ways to properly price my services. I don't want to necessarily give away my services but I also want to make enough to cover my expenses and time.

I have invested in the Griot's Garage 6" polisher and plan to add the 3" polisher shortly.
    Your comments about the "soccer Mom's " and people who use their cars as everyday drivers is pertinent to our conversation. These people want their cars to be clean and shiny and have no idea what a swirl mark is and could not care less. These people want a sealant which will protect their paint for up to a year.

Others will want their finish to have that new showroom look and will want their cars to be waxed multiple times throughout the year. These folks will want their cars polished and protected with a high quality wax as they take more pride in their finish.

You need to price your services based on your customers needs and their budgets. I was hoping to gather some ideas of how much to charge for certain services such as interior cleaning and protective dressings, exterior care such as wash, clay bar, polish and wax or sealant protection, tire and wheel cleaning, etc.

It appear that most professionals utilize packages. These packages will have to cover your time and supplies and provide you with a reasonable profit.

I'll be following this thread to see what others are doing as I'm not looking forward to reinventing the wheel!

Post Thanks / Like

Joe - down the block is never going to pay a meaningful sum for a car detail. The only way to make a real buck is to pracitice - do great work- develop a reputation and do high end cars for people who can aford to pay top dollar.
    There is a guy in my area who does only Porsches etc. He charge $500 bucks- to wash your car (ha) and people pay him. But he has a great rep and does wonderful self promotion.

$20 dollars an hour is not living money if you plan to make a career of this. It it nice for weekend and extra money if you have another job or go to school or are in the service.

Good luck and Happy Holday

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast