autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How much for a wash and wax no interior?

$100 and another $35 to $50 to clay it. My wash and wax on a large sedan or small SUV would always run close to 2 hours. I am almost always able to sell additional services. Wax Upgrade full dress of Tires and Plastics. Wiper treatement, Glass Treatment. Mild Interior detail. I cannot remember the last time I did not collect atleast $200 for touching a vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    that you should clay if there are contaminates on the paint, but saying the wax or sealant will not bond is very questionable. Do you have proof that this is true?
    In my experience it is very important to clay first (even more important is polishing though). I say this because after first trying Autoglym HD I started putting it on all my friends cars (or let them do it themselves), one car was not clayed (even though it needed it, the owner just doesn't care to do it) and the beading/sheeting wasn't even comparable to others. Whether this is a lack of bonding, or that contaminates are hindering those traits, I don't know but I figure the wax just bonds to the contaminates. As is always said, prep is key and I couldn't agree more.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A4 1.8tqm View Post
    In my experience it is very important to clay first (even more important is polishing though). I say this because after first trying Autoglym HD I started putting it on all my friends cars (or let them do it themselves), one car was not clayed (even though it needed it, the owner just doesn't care to do it) and the beading/sheeting wasn't even comparable to others. Whether this is a lack of bonding, or that contaminates are hindering those traits, I don't know but I figure the wax just bonds to the contaminates. As is always said, prep is key and I couldn't agree more.
    again. It was not so much the claying as it was the surface contaminates on the paint. If you don't clay or polish at least use a paint cleaner before LSP.

Post Thanks / Like

I usually charge 40$ wash wax for car, 50$ for truck/suv which includes a quick vacuum/dash sweep/microfibre on the windshield.
    It takes about 1 1/2 hour car, 2 hour truck
    Pinnacle +10$
    Clay 25$ car 30$ truck.
    I try to make + 20$ and hour. 20$ for the labor and the + for inventory.
    I thought i was cheap but many people have similiar prices...
    And if you think about it. Not everyone is disposed to spend 100$+ on car detailling.

Post Thanks / Like

Blackthorne, your price of 60$ clay and wax is super reasonable
    Always figure 20$/hour + generous material cost

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blackthornone View Post
    The owner claims it doesn't need claying. The owner is also cheap. The owner has been told be someone he knows better than me who SEEMS to him to know about detailing, who says that claying isn't necessary, and that clay stains trim, ect.

Wouldn't this be a case for educating the client? It sounds to me that the client is misinformed by someone that really doesn't know what he's talking about. If the client could actually feel the difference between a clayed surface and an unclayed surface he might understand your wanting to clay the vehicle (and charge extra)

Post Thanks / Like

I ususally clay a small panel anyway, and then i show it to the customer, so that way, he can feel the difference without paying for it.

Next time, he will usually take the clay.

But I understand the scepticism of the customer regarding the clay, it is reletively new

Post Thanks / Like

I usually just offer a complete exterior or interior detail with some extra polishing or hand waxing instead of selant as options. I try not to do just small jobs as I only detail part-time and it's not worth it to me to drag out all my stuff for a quick wash and wax. For $40, unless you need it, I'd tell them what you offer and if they don't like it, then don't do the job (be nice about it of course).

Also if they talk about your work and you only did part of it, it may not look as good as it could of. Just my opinion, you full time detailiers may not want to ignore the business and I understand that.

Post Thanks / Like

So let me ask a dumb question. If you do just a wash and wax job is that wax just applied quickly with a machine, then wiped off? I only ask because I just ordered a bunch of stuff from AG and have been telling my co-workers about what I want to do with my truck. They of course are interested and may have a very small opportunity to make a few bucks off them, much later on when I become familiar with my gear. So this is good info for me. $20/hr is a great value, IMO, so I'll use their vehicles as "testers" to see how long it takes to do various size cars.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Try waxing or sealing a vehicle with a lot of bonded contaminants, its a real pain to apply and even harder to remove.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast