autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Having issues with my prices

I think your prices are very reasonable if not a little low. Your site is great. I would like to start doing some detailing on the weekends. Im like you, i would only want to do the higher end jobs since it would just be a few jobs and only on the weekend. I already have my my boss and another coworker lined up as customers when we have some time (really busy at work right now) and would be interested in any tips you could offer me Kris. My biggest problem is i hate doing interiors, even my own car (although i still do it). Dont know why, just do. I use my car as my "advertising". When people compliment me on the shine, i explain the process and tell them what i will do it for. Of course most of them look at me like im crazy when i explain all the work that goes into it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kris R View Post
    Yeah Im actually working on that now. As far as cheaper car wash packages....I just dont do them. On a day off if I have 1 car wash it eats up too much precious gas and time off and for what? 30 bucks? Even if I have 2 "washes" its still most of my day gone for chump change. There are a million people out there that are car washers. I want detail work. I got a few core clients that have gotten me even more business so Im looking to market myself with flyers soon. Possibly some custom graphics for my vehicle window.
    Hmmmm well I do 3 to 5 an hour at $30 bucks......which is really good money to me. Plus it keeps me busy doing what I love. Was just a suggestion.

Post Thanks / Like

Ive been building up my website for customers to browse AND just uploaded a price sheet. I had a call the other day for work and i directed them to the site and never heard from them.

I have a full time job. I dont need to detail for a living. And I want to do correction and restoration work. High end detailing not the local quick wash wax for a few bucks. I offer a basic detail that starts at $100 but its a pretty thorough detail. And thats the car price.But I seem to be scaring off the average person even though my prices are reasonable. Can you guys take a look and give some advice on my price sheet? Thanks

I have a full time job. I dont need to detail for a living.

I am new here, and yet I have over 40 years of business ownership, and experience.

People will not buy from you unless they like you and trust you.

Often new bees try to lower their price below the Pros and never realize negative cash flow can kill them.

Often price inquires are from others in the business,,

Who calls first when the house next door comes up for sale?

I'm here to learn to make my car look better. I'm retired, and don't want to work...

Saying, "Hello", and hope this helps

Attitude and Ability says it all

Me I never worked a day in my life everything I did was for my enjoyment...I just got paid for giving others what they wanted.

Good Luck, i

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with TRiddle. I wouldn't want to be a car washer either, but, just might get your business jump started. Most people have no idea how much difference the correction work will make in their car. Use the washes as an evaluation step. Then point out the work that needs to be done and give an estimate. Once you have a customer base, you can drop the basic washes and focus on the correction work.
    Kevin
    Griots Garage 6in ROP, 3in ROP, pneumatic 3in polisher
    Flex 3401, Porter Cable PC7424 (the old non-XP model).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kris R View Post
    I want detail work. I got a few core clients that have gotten me even more business so Im looking to market myself with flyers soon.
    I think your best bet is figuring out how to tap into the crowd that is willing to pay the price. Craigslist around here has guys competing to the bottom for price. Your target client has probably has never heard let alone used Craigslist. Network your existing base for their friends with cars needing attention. 90%+ of successful job employment is found thru networking right now. I'd bet the same applies to any service right now!
    Find out where the BMW, Vette, Ferrari, Mercedes... clubs are in your area (easy to find searching google).....buy an ad in their newsletters and rub shoulders with the crowd you want to work with at their annual show.
    Last edited by John U; 03-09-2010 at 11:08 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Great website, Kris!

Don't know about Jax vs Lakeland economy, but you match my prices closely. Sounds like I'm doing a similar number of cars as you. Based on that comparison, maybe you're a little low $.

I made a mistake at first, trying to break into the business at $100 for a bumper-to-bumper detail, interior and engine. I got lots of business, but didn't develop the clientele that I was looking for. Nothing wrong with wash-and-wax jobs, but if you're going for a paint correction, "detailing" business, I think you're on the right track.

Be safe, Bro.

Jay - retired Tampa PD
    John Henry

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JohnHenry View Post
    Great website, Kris!

Don't know about Jax vs Lakeland economy, but you match my prices closely. Sounds like I'm doing a similar number of cars as you. Based on that comparison, maybe you're a little low $.

I made a mistake at first, trying to break into the business at $100 for a bumper-to-bumper detail, interior and engine. I got lots of business, but didn't develop the clientele that I was looking for. Nothing wrong with wash-and-wax jobs, but if you're going for a paint correction, "detailing" business, I think you're on the right track.

Be safe, Bro.

Jay - retired Tampa PD
    thanks jay! I know exactly what you mean as far as the bumper to bumper thing. thats why I put in there basic detail, possibly for those clients of mine that dont need a full just yet. Everything else is a la carte. Im going to change my correction work price as suggested by sullysdetailing.

And John U thats an excellent Idea!!
    Kris R
    360detail.com

Post Thanks / Like

I like the layout of your site, your blog, and your FAQ section is great. I also like how you do not hide the names of products used. This will allow a potential customer to research the product and know you are using quality products on their car. I have a question about your discounts. You list Fire/Police/EMS workers, what about Military - active and retired?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rwright View Post
    I like the layout of your site, your blog, and your FAQ section is great. I also like how you do not hide the names of products used. This will allow a potential customer to research the product and know you are using quality products on their car. I have a question about your discounts. You list Fire/Police/EMS workers, what about Military - active and retired?
    Well A lot of my business started out as guys I work with on the fire dept. That particular discount is a nod to my profession. My parents are retired military and I did a tour in the army reserves but from working at my wifes restaurant the discounts can get out of hand fast. They started out military and fire/ems/police and then it was the teachers complaining and then the elderly and then the factory workers up the street and then everyone under the sun felt they were entitled so, my prices are for my time and skill. They are quite low as it is and if it isnt affordable at THAT rate then...well Im sorry ya know? I gotta make money too. Does that sound mean?

As far as not hiding my products, I feel a lot of people skimp on their product to make a quick buck at the expense of the customers vehicle. They are paying for top notch work and they will get top notch work with quality products.
    Kris R
    360detail.com

Post Thanks / Like

I understand about the discounts getting out of hand, I was only referring to those who put their lives in danger to protect and serve the public. As a Vet and a product of retired military personnel you should understand this. I am not trying to start a war over professions or people who think they are entitled to discounts. If you do not feel that military personnel should be offered a discount, then don't add them. I was only asking a question. You are 100% correct, you are doing the work and you deserve to be paid for it. If your customer or potential customer doesn't agree to your price, then that's their loss. They need to move on!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast