autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need advice...How do I politely turn away a potential customer?

Quote Originally Posted by DetailKitty View Post
    I've had to do this many times...

I tell people I don't do interiors. Period.

And I don't... it's not a lie.
    You said it Monica, I don't do interiors either.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Yikes...I have a interior detail set on a Volvo C70 tomorrow. Hopefully it's not a bad one
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

When I was a very young man, I worked at a rather high end clothing store. We altered new suits for free, and charged for re-altering if a person had become larger or smaller.

One of the most extensive types of alteration on trousers is called a recut, and needs to be done when a pair of trousers needs to be "taken in" more than about 2 inches. It prevents the two pockets from being moved too close to each other in the back. Essentially, the trousers are taken apart and put back together again, smaller in all dimensions. It is needed when body builders buy new suits, or when people lose a lot of weight. It was the only alteration we charged for on a new suit, and we charge $12.00 (back in 1977).

If someone brought a suit in for re-alteration that needed the pants recut, the cost for that work alone was $175.00.

Why? Because we didn't want to do the work.

I might tend to quote a price that would do one of two things - Make the customer decide you're too expensive, or make you happy that they didn't think you were too expensive. For example, let's say you quoted an interior detail on a very bad minivan at $750.00. Your customer is likely to say "That's too expensive", and find someone else, do it themselves, or not get it done. If they say "go for it", you will have done, say $500.00 worth of work for $750.00. either way, you've left it to the customer to determine the value for your services, while not accepting a job you don't want to take.

If $750.00 isn't enough to make you happy, quote $1,000.00. Or $1,500.00. You just have to come up with a price that allows you to be happy if they say yes.

My 2 cents - probably worth about what you paid for it.

4. Likes DMW liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You have to temper that kind of price gouging with the expectation that your reputation may suffer as a result. I have plenty of friends that have said something like "You won't believe what such and such wanted to charge me for a thingamajig." You can bet that person is going to tell everybody that will listen and at least a few people will put you on their list of businesses they won't be calling in the future. There's one local business that I've never even stepped in their doors because I've had several friends tell me they were a ripoff. I don't even know if it's true.

6. Likes Themikerobe, ducksfan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by david b View Post
    Not sure what this means? EVERY minivan that I've seen has been trashed...just the nature for that type of vehicle in my opinion. In fact, dealerships near me include it as part of their new vehicle promotional material - "...our minivans come standard with cruise, tilt, air, crusty french fries, melted Crayons, etc...come and see us..." (Sarcasm alert)

Thanks all for the feedback!
    I take offense to that. Just kidding

As an owner of a minivan I take great pride in the fact that my van looks better than 95% of the cars on the road at any given time. My interior is probably cleaner than 99% of the vehicles on the road. My kids are lucky if they get a cracker in our van. I just took out my two car seats a few days ago. It had been 6-12 months since they had been removed. There was hardly any dust or crumbs around the seat. Weathertech mats are a must with children. I don't even tell my kids to clean off their shoes when they get it. Weathertech mats should be standard equipment on all vans and trucks.

8. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LEDetailing View Post

As an owner of a minivan I take great pride in the fact that my van looks better than 95% of the cars on the road at any given time. My interior is probably cleaner than 99% of the vehicles on the road. My kids are lucky if they get a cracker in our van. I just took out my two car seats a few days ago. It had been 6-12 months since they had been removed. There was hardly any dust or crumbs around the seat. Weathertech mats are a must with children. I don't even tell my kids to clean off their shoes when they get it. Weathertech mats should be standard equipment on all vans and trucks.
    I had to factory order my truck. (No regular cabs on the lot).

My Weathertech mats I ordered arrived a week before the truck. Lol

Nothing protects as well.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

10. Likes LEDetailing liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LEDetailing View Post

I've found that given the opportunity, people can trash just about any kind of car. We did an interior detail on a '17 Civic a few weeks ago. I gave a quote without even asking about the condition. It's a '17, how bad could it be, right? Yeah, that car likely qualified as the state's third largest quarry. I ended up charging her 50% more than my original quote and frankly I think she was happy to pay it.

Post Thanks / Like

1) Have a “buddy”
    2) say you are not taking on new work “at the moment”
    3) price high

Have your pick.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

I have been there many times.

I’m actually considering dropping my interior-only services and incorporating them through packages only.

Networking with my competition has helped give me “buddies”

Swamp them with all the “not so fun jobs” so I can focus more time on what I truly love doing... Buffing paint

Post Thanks / Like

I have been there many times.

I’m actually considering dropping my interior-only services and incorporating them through packages only.

Networking with my competition has helped give me “buddies”

Swamp them with all the “not so fun jobs” so I can focus more time on what I truly love doing... Buffing paint

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast