autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: IDA certification

The IDA may not be for all of us, but I do feel that most of us should investigate it. We have to ask ourselves where do we want to be in 5 years, 10 years or 20. The IDA's mission is to elevate the value of the detail technician and the detail service. It is started, built and grown by detailers like us. People in our trade that want more for each other. The majority of the people that serve are volunteers. They don't get payed, they invest lots of their time and effort at no charge so that you and I can enjoy a more profitable career. Being certified can and should help separate us from the guy down the road who is doing a "FULL DETAIL" for $120. Our time is valuable, and the IDA is trying to help us convince the world of that fact.
    Nathan Doering CD-SV

2. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, mc2hill, Aaryn NZ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Does the IDA ever schedule conference calls via Skype or similar means between members across the country/world if and when they’d like to get together and have a meeting/live discussion among each other?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Natron View Post

the IDA is trying to help us convince the world of that fact.

Well said.

Nobody did nothing for so long... now a few are trying to do what they can to raise the perception of this industry.

Anyone with a wash mitt and a bucket can call themselves a detailer and totally screw up an expensive car with a clearcoat finish that is thinner than a post-it note. When this happens, the owner of the car truly got what they paid for.

And while I understand there is a persisting perception among the masses that there's "nothing" to detailing a car, as a person that's not only been detailing cars for a few years but teaching others how to do it "correctly", I'm here to tell you that there is a world of difference between doing it wrong the first time and doing it right the first time.

In fact... I have an article on this topic.... I wrote it after taking a picture of a car that was buffed out for display at SEMA - kind of blows a huge hole in that whole perception that "anyone can do it".

Instead of posting the link, I'll post the entire article, (it's short), because I know some are too lazy to click on the link....

It takes just as long to do it wrong...

Hey it rhymes...

It takes just as long to do it wrong so you might as well do it right...

Something I find myself saying a lot when talking to people about their swirled out cars...

I started saying it at SEMA, (of course), after I took and posted the picture of this swirled-out mess...

See post #24

SEMA 2012 Day 1

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

That said, the below car visually demonstrates that there is still work to do as far as educating the industry on what NOT to do...

I always say,

"It takes just as long to do the job wrong as it takes to do the job right"

Ouch! Kind of hurts your eyes to see how this car was butchered...

5. Thanks Aaryn NZ thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

One of my favorite benefits is the webinar held on the 3rd Thursday of most months. Various volunteers will share with us what is working for them or in the industry. Many great conversations stem from there. We also can go back through the archives and listen to past webinars.
    Nathan Doering CD-SV

7. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Likes Aaryn NZ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Natron View Post
    One of my favorite benefits is the webinar held on the 3rd Thursday of most months. Various volunteers will share with us what is working for them or in the industry. Many great conversations stem from there. We also can go back through the archives and listen to past webinars.
    Cool, I know there’s local meetings that take place, but I wasn’t aware if there was anything on a broader scale. It’s good to hear you’re taking advantage of the possibilities.IDA certification

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post

Does the IDA ever schedule conference calls via Skype or similar means between members across the country/world if and when they’d like to get together and have a meeting/live discussion among each other?

I and the other board members and committee members hold conference calls each month, had the board of directors call yesterday.

I don't remember any "call" but we offer monthly webinars and via the Go-To-Meeting software you can interact. Heck just today, I got this in my in-box from an IDA Webinar I taught 2 years ago....

Quote Originally Posted by Sam

Mike-

I just watched your webinar on the Vehicle Inspection Form.

Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge with everyone!

I am new to the auto detailing industry and we are trying to learn as much as we can. We are really appreciating all the info we are finding at IDA.

We would love to have a copy of your VIF if you are still willing to share.

Thanks so much for the insight!

Regards,

Sam

And of course, today when I e-mail out the VIF form to all the people that have posted to the thread here and/or reached out to me via some other method, I will also send Sam a copy.

It's kind of one of those things that you get out of it what you put into it...

And there you go...

10. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Likes Eldorado2k, FrankS, Aaryn NZ, Neospektiv liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Right on.IDA certification

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ClearVue18 View Post
    Yes great points but....taking a online test isn’t really being certified if that the case I would be a lawyer cause I’ve been certified for years since I’m very good at being a jerk and auguring my opponent into submission Lol. Paying $320 just to say I’m certified. You can still be the worst detailer on earth and still have a certification though them. I dont knock anyone if that’s what you want to do then by all means but I would invest in other things. Who certifies them to certify?
    Then again We're talking about certifying employees/managers/technicians. These guys might not have the passion it takes to learn and discover these things on their own. Someone enthusiastic and hungry for knowledge will devour the decades worth of information found on sites like this, and more importantly by time spent on their vehicles.

I've encountered guys who are certified, and in my opinion, don't operate in a manner consistent with what MY idea of "being certified" would be. Dirty shop, dirty microfiber and pads, unorganized, etc..

Great work speaks for itself. Intuitive, passionate individuals will seek out the knowledge, put in the time, and understand the mechanics of the processes without the need of any such organization. It's been said that the work of some enthusiasts is of higher quality that that of some technicians. I can't disagree.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post

Then again We're talking about certifying employees/managers/technicians. These guys might not have the passion it takes to learn and discover these things on their own. Someone enthusiastic and hungry for knowledge will devour the decades worth of information found on sites like this, and more importantly by time spent on their vehicles.

I've encountered guys who are certified, and in my opinion, don't operate in a manner consistent with what MY idea of "being certified" would be. Dirty shop, dirty microfiber and pads, unorganized, etc..

Great work speaks for itself. Intuitive, passionate individuals will seek out the knowledge, put in the time, and understand the mechanics of the processes without the need of any such organization. It's been said that the work of some enthusiasts is of higher quality that that of some technicians. I can't disagree.

Well said.

I completely agree that one of the most important things that will separate and even define ANYONE in any vocation is their passion for the craft or... their lack of passion for the craft.

A person is either in it because it's their passion or they need a job and the difference in attitude "can" make a difference. That said, I do know people that don't have a passion for what they do but because they have a strong work ethic they still do a great job. I've been in this position in my life, that is giving a job my best even though it wasn't my passion.

14. Thanks dlc95 thanked for this post
    Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ClearVue18 View Post
    Yes great points but....taking a online test isn’t really being certified if that the case I would be a lawyer cause I’ve been certified for years since I’m very good at being a jerk and auguring my opponent into submission Lol. Paying $320 just to say I’m certified. You can still be the worst detailer on earth and still have a certification though them. I dont knock anyone if that’s what you want to do then by all means but I would invest in other things. Who certifies them to certify?
    Well if you are the worst detailer in the world, it's gonna be hard to answer the 100+ questions on the exams with 80%+ note in each category. They do verify you know what you are doing in every single aspect of detailing. While it is not perfect, it is still a good starting point to verify if at least you have the theory down and know what you are doing. Then if you decide to do the skill verification test, you have to show the work on an actual car. I don't see how you can fake that.

When you look at the board of directors for the IDA, most of the big names in the industry are there. I think it would be nice to see Kevin Brown on the board and maybe Garry Dean and Larry Kozilla but as it is right now, I have a lot of confidence it the ability of the board to represent the industry in a good way. So who certifies them? I think their legacy speaks for itself. Mike, Renny and Yvan have been trainning people for decades. I don't see who could be better suited to establish the parameters for testing and certifying others.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast