autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Headlight Restoration Side Job Advice?

Hey all, thinking about doing mobile headlight restorations as a side hustle. Just looking for a few pointers.

Tools/process:
    GG6 w/ 3" backing plate
    3" sanding discs (800, 1200, 2000, 3000 grits)
    Orange foam pad w/ M105 compound
    Optilens coating

I've restored my own headlights in the past with the 3M kit, not with my GG6 though.

Do you folks dry sand or damp sand? (Trying to figure out the best/most cost effective sanding discs) I'm also thinking charging around 75$ per pair, maybe targeting used car dealerships for more volume at a lower price. Advertising will be Craigslist, FB, and word of mouth.

Again, just looking for a few jobs per week. Anything I'm missing?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Headlight Restoration Side Job Advice?

I used Meguiars medium kit. Wet sanding worked great for me. My lenses are still clear

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I gave up, Costco and same over $30 headlight restoration with a 5 year no fade warranty. I can't beat that.

Looks like u have everything u need, good luck with it man and kill it

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

get sanding discs in 320-500-800-1000-3000(leave at 3k for UV coating) compound if doing ceramic coating

get a real UV coating like G clear or use a ceramic coating like Pearl nano HD

Post Thanks / Like

Since using the McKees Headlight restoration polish I haven't sanded a headlight. It really kicks ass considering you don't need to sand. I've done some bad ones too.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

A rotary will cut your time in half.
    Kirk Harrod's Mobile Detailing, Frankfort, KY
    Official Detailer of Camarofest 8 & 9
    No one has detailed more Camaros.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzscarwash View Post
    I gave up, Costco and same over $30 headlight restoration with a 5 year no fade warranty. I can't beat that.

Looks like u have everything u need, good luck with it man and kill it

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk
    Where are they offering this? Heck, the biggest pain for me is masking the paint around some odd-shaped lenses. I actually enjoy it now that I have done it a few times. I'm offering it free to friends just to kill time and socialize. I use a CG video restoring a GTR as my guideline.

Although I don't necessarily use CG products for my approach to this, the video is quite helpful to get me started. I do use JetSeal to seal it and then top it with Optimum spray wax (for UV protection). I know the CG-bashing is coming on this but this video is pretty good for demystifying the process.

I haven't tried the McKee's product yet.

https://youtu.be/iFcyx6WHyMg

Post Thanks / Like

All over Cali, tx, and SC that I've seen so far

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Since the beginning of this year, I have been using this as my final UV coating on wet-sanded headlight restorations:

Sylvania Headlight Restoration UV Block Clear Coat

You can get it AA for $10 per kit with no sandpaper. $20 kit with some sandpaper. It is on the shelf next to the headlight bulbs and replacements, not with the detailing stuff. There is enough in the bottle to do at least 10 pairs of headlights.

It is a wipe on formula. It has a little bottle of cleaner spray that does a good job of removing the yellow crud (not big enough to do 10 pairs of lights, maybe 3-4 pairs). It comes with a blue shop paper towel to fold to use as an applicator, but I use a piece of MF suede. I think you could spray it on with an airbrush, but have not tried it. It reminds me of using the marine urethane/mineral spirit mix but did not have the urethane smell.

It is supposed to be loaded with UVA/UVB and be pretty close to the factory headlight coating. I apply 2 layers giving the first a few hours of dry time.
    It has dried clear for me every time and it levels to a smooth finish as long as I resist the urge to re-wipe an area and leave wiping marks.

I had been using Opti-Lens pretty much since they released it and Opti-Coat before that, but not anymore. Can't beat that price and it is a true headlight coating. After it has dried I apply whatever sealant was used on the paint to add some more protection.

Its worth checking it out.

Super Member Joe@NextLevelDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It is wise to use a quality battery powered drill. This way you can do a repair anywhere. Wal-Mart parking lot. Mobile. Gas Station ETC. handing out a card and getting it done on the spot is 2 different worlds. (If you do have a generator you do not have to worry about this. )

A customer can be genuinely interested in getting their headlights restored and if you give them your card for a later date its very easy for them to forget about you. The sales pitch is I can do it right here right now.

The downside to wet-sanding is the clean up. If you are charging properly this is not a big deal. However if you are doing it on the side and going to give decent deals this will cause you to use more of the following:

Sandpaper
    Detail Spray/Waterless Wash
    Microfiber Towels

Always see if you can get away without sanding first. McKee's 37 has a killer All-In-One Headlight Restoration kit. on some lenses you can get away with just polishing and no sanding.

Yes you can use a compound designed for paint, But understand that Headlight restoration polishes have a larger/sharper abrasive that is specifically designed to cut hard plastic. Compound is designed for softer paint finishes. So if you value time like I do, certainly get your hands on a polish designed for headlight lenses.

Word of advice, If you are ever quoting to restore a pair of BMW headlights, CHARGE ACCORDINGLY! these lenses are some of the most challenging to restore. some can require hours of work.

Here is a link to the Kit used it in the video I posted above.

McKee's 37 Total Headlight Restoration Kit, how to restore headlights

Link for just the polish.
    McKee's 37 All In One Headlight Restoring Polish, headlight restoration

If you do opt for the Kit it includes a Headlight Protect Spray to preserve the headlight lens. Up sell the fact that after you restore the lens you are applying protection to prevent future oxidation.

Good Luck in your business I wish you alot of success.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast