autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

What to do if you run out of time?

Just a quick question to those who do this for a living. This is just my hobby/passion and I do a vehicle or two on the side every once and a while.

I'm pretty good for a "non pro" but I'm slow. I owned black VWs since 1998 so I always took my time and never really rushed. Well now I may do a truck much larger than what I'm use too and I don't think I can do it in a day lol.

The usual..decontamination, foam bath, nanoskin clay disks, and a single pass with m205 on a white pad with my Rupes before a LSP. The car has very light swirls in a few areas and we both agreed it's not worth trying to get out every scratch on a work vehicle. My concern is if I can't get it done and it gets late. I assume people want their vehicle back that day?

Have some of you kept a vehicle for two days? And after I lay a sealant down on my vehicles I usually keep it in the garage overnight. Any advice would be appreciative TIA!

Post Thanks / Like

What to do if you run out of time?

You could tell him this and see if he/she's ok with it...
    Tell him if he could drop it off at night, that way you can take care of the wash and clay part [because you can literally do that in the middle of the night if you have to]

Then you can start on the serious business early in the morning and tell him you can have his vehicle done by 10-11 if everything goes as planned. Leave the car in the garage overnight after applying sealant? Lol. Not necessary. Just seal that thing up and have them drive off, it's fine.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What to do if you run out of time?

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    You could tell him this and see if he/she's ok with it...
    Tell him if he could drop it off at night, that way you can take care of the wash and clay part [because you can literally do that in the middle of the night if you have to]

Then you can start on the serious business early in the morning and tell him you can have his vehicle done by 10-11 if everything goes as planned. Leave the car in the garage overnight after applying sealant? Lol. Not necessary. Just seal that thing up and have them drive off, it's fine.
    Thanks man, yeah will see if I can get it done in 10 hours, and as long as it isn't raining he can drive off. I will check first ahead of time how soon he needs his truck back in case I cannot get all the way around in time.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't kill yourself, have him leave the truck overnight.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Don't kill yourself, have him leave the truck overnight.
    I like this idea.

Post Thanks / Like

I ask for drop night before. Good portion of interior gets done. But typically start at 7 am, finish by 5pm.

Don't use products that take long to cure... coatings are ok, as they usually need 2 hrs to cure and don't get wet for 24 hrs. But a sealant that takes 24 hrs is troublesome.

I like to get the vehicle back as soon as it's done. Keep liability low and not have to spend more grooming it until owner gets it.

If it takes you 5-8 hrs for car, factor 8-12 for truck/SUV and plan appropriately. Early to bed, early to rise.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by idriveblackcars View Post
    Just a quick question to those who do this for a living. This is just my hobby/passion and I do a vehicle or two on the side every once and a while.

I'm pretty good for a "non pro" but I'm slow. I owned black VWs since 1998 so I always took my time and never really rushed. Well now I may do a truck much larger than what I'm use too and I don't think I can do it in a day lol.

The usual..decontamination, foam bath, nanoskin clay disks, and a single pass with m205 on a white pad with my Rupes before a LSP. The car has very light swirls in a few areas and we both agreed it's not worth trying to get out every scratch on a work vehicle. My concern is if I can't get it done and it gets late. I assume people want their vehicle back that day?

Have some of you kept a vehicle for two days? And after I lay a sealant down on my vehicles I usually keep it in the garage overnight. Any advice would be appreciative TIA!
    I never put myself in that situation. Depends what they want and the vehicles condition. Production detailing no more than 4 hrs unless the car is bad.On paint correction and coating I will know how long it will take.Worst scenario is one full day come back the next morning and only apply coating.If you do this for a living the checks have to be rolling in .So you have to hustle and get it done.You would be amazed what you can do in one day if you do it for a living day in day out.As they say practice makes perfect and helps to be in relatively good shape.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    I never put myself in that situation. Depends what they want and the vehicles condition. Production detailing no more than 4 hrs unless the car is bad.
    Does that include interior?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I crank out 2 cars perday including weekends.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought eldorado you may like this 93 allante I wetsanded and gloss coated.St lucie auto spa is my FB page. I did the allante in one day and a srx the next day same customers.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast