autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Auto Detailing Insurance

I can't seem to find a good article explaining all of the definitions of various coverage for us mobile detailers.

I'm not sure which one of these covers damage that I've done to a vehicle such as me burning paint off the fender of a Ferrari. I thought that was garagekeeper's, but reading through the policy it says it does not cover exactly that, and that it only covers natural "accidents" that occur on the property I have listed in the policy.

Any help out there?
    Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Auto Detailing Insurance

I don't think there is insurance for negligence, and burning the paint on the Ferrari would be that.
    ​1991 BRG Miata
    Brad's Detailed Touch
    https://www.facebook.com/Bradsdetailedtouch1

Post Thanks / Like

So theres no insurance to cover any mistakes i make in worksmanship?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coopers ST View Post
    I don't think there is insurance for negligence, and burning the paint on the Ferrari would be that.
    Wooah! Thats a bit rough mate. I can tell you now - in the 23 years I have been detailing for money, I have made my share of mistakes & long before there were such things as paint thickness gauges, this included burning through paint, be it base/clear or single stage. Sometimes s#@t happens, & whats important is - the lesson learnt & how you deal with the problem. SuperbShineDetail has admitted his mistake, taken the blame & from what I can tell, is a straight up person & is going to see the problem sorted. Now here on the forum seeking some advice - fair enough, lets help.

SuperbShineDetail - I'm not at all sure how it works over there but here it would be under "public liability insurance". This provides protection against claims for unexpected or unintended property damage for which a business may be legally liable arising out of their normal business activities. At least thats how it goes down here in New Zealand. Hope this is of some assistance to you.

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuperbShineDetail View Post
    So theres no insureance to cover any mistakes i make in worksmanship?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Autogeekonline mobile app
    Talk to your broker.. An independent broker should be able to connect you with what you're looking for.

My broker doesn't do anything automotive repair related (of course he writes auto insurance), but he connected with a buddy/broker that does.
    I have garage keepers, liability and "auto-repair" for cars and light trucks, where they unchecked the repair boxes and wrote-in "detailing" with a 30K per incident or damage.

Mine is about $1500.00 per year. We went with a 30K per incident, because in reality, we're typically smart enough to do test spots, paint thickness measurements. Unless it's a Bugatti, (which I will never work on) I can't see any single panel of paint being more than $30k. The Garage keepers policy is to cover the car while on premises, your own auto insurance will cover you if you "bump" into something.

Trust me, if there is an insurance company looking to make a profit, they'll insure anyone who has doe / ray / me... you just have to ask the right people who can work with placing you with the right company and with connections to the underwriters to get what you need.

The only issue I initially ran into, was they wanted to see some longevity in the business. I had to wait about 12 months before they'd write me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coopers ST View Post
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaryn NZ View Post
    Wooah! Thats a bit rough mate.
    That's not rough, that's how it is interpreted by the insurance company; which in this case, makes it reality.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperbShineDetail View Post
    So theres no insureance to cover any mistakes i make in worksmanship?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Autogeekonline mobile app
    There is no insurance for that. What you are asking for is a bond, different form of indemnity.
    Static & Mobile detailing in Minneapolis & St. Paul. http://www.detailedcreationsmpls.com/

Post Thanks / Like

I've looked around and so far I haven't been able to find an insurance company that will cover burning through paint or what is considered "faulty workmanship".

Post Thanks / Like

First off, THANK YOU for bringing this up.
    I'd say check your Business Liability coverage. Per GEICO's website for same:
    "About Business Insurance
    How important is business insurance?
    No matter how careful you are in your daily business operations, things happen."

Then, at https://www.geico.com/general-liability-insurance/

"Property Damage or Bodily Injury

Could include claims expenses if you injure a third-party or damage some else's property. This could include fire damage at a physical location you rent for your business."

Good luck with all.
    1994 300ZX 2+2 MT, sole owner, 239K mi
    2005 Ford Escape XLT Sport 4WD
    2014 Maserati Quattroporte GTS