autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Question for fellow professionals

Hi guys. I am curious what percentage of your work fall into the dealership ran it through the automatic wash? the dealership hand washed/detailed (lol I know)? poor bodyshop work/prep? and any of the above?

I am doing research for upcoming video upload. Any assistance in helping me come up with these statistics is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question for fellow professionals

Maybe you can reword the questions. Are you asking what percentage of work, like paint surface correction, comes from a dealership messing it up?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VR8 View Post
    Maybe you can reword the questions. Are you asking what percentage of work, like paint surface correction, comes from a dealership messing it up?
    ^^ this. Not sure what the OP'er is asking.

FWIW I do a new car preps and of the ones I did last year it was rare that they came with tons of swirls. Jeeps/Chrylsers and Fords have all been nearly perfect. I just had to polish them with only a few spot corrections needed. Others like Hondas and one Chevy I did had mild swirls which IMO looked more like they were from on-the-lot washing vs a tunnel system.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VR8 View Post
    Somewhat yes. I think a better way of asking would be, of general detailing work (above maintenance washes) what percentage of work would fall under paint correction from a dealership messing up your customer's vehicle?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pdqgp View Post

FWIW I do a new car preps and of the ones I did last year it was rare that they came with tons of swirls. .... Others like Hondas and one Chevy I did had mild swirls which IMO looked more like they were from on-the-lot washing vs a tunnel system.
    I agree. Most of the new cars will be sold before the dealership, or the lot washers, will do too much damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod73 View Post
    ... what percentage of work would fall under paint correction from a dealership messing up your customer's vehicle?
    That's still a tough question to put a number on. You never really know where the swirls came from. Was it the dealers detail guy who first washed it off of the delivery truck, or was it the guy who washes it weekly while it sits on the lot, or was it the "courtesy car wash" that they give with an oil change? I find the dealerships aren't concerned with swirling the paint, so you bet your last dollar they will add to the damage.

Most of the heavily swirled cars I work on are from people who regularly use the automatic tunnel wash.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi guys. I am curious what percentage of your work fall into the dealership ran it through the automatic wash? the dealership hand washed/detailed (lol I know)? poor bodyshop work/prep? and any of the above?

I am doing research for upcoming video upload. Any assistance in helping me come up with these statistics is greatly appreciated! Thank you!
    Bodyshop reconditioning I do very little of .The owner is the president of treasure coast Chevy club,I get maybe 15 cars per year from him.In general I don't have people calling me to fix halograms from body shops or car wash inflicted swirling.Although 4 years ago I fixed a 98 black corvette that the owner bought into there 99.99 detail special.car was full of swirls everywhere.people really don't reconize or care or even know what a swirl is.That's why I stopped going to cars how's very hard to convince a owner in nice words your car looks terrible.I have 20 clients that do call me for light paint correction every year for all the car shows starting next month.I hope this helped you.

Post Thanks / Like

It is helping. I am just gathering information for future educational video uploads. Probably doesn't help that I am typing a little sleep deprived lol on the grind.

Post Thanks / Like

It is helping. I am just gathering information for future educational video uploads. Probably doesn't help that I am typing a little sleep deprived lol on the grind.
    Do a test spot in front of the customer.That's the best seller educational demo you can give and the close rate on the detail is nearly 70 percent done all the time.They will see in person what it takes to do the job and your ability to perform it.