autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: how much would you charge???? just curious

Great conversation as there are a lot of us out here in same boat. Enjoy the hobby, enjoy helping friends and enjoy making some pocket money. But any income is viewed a bonus and we simply enjoy the therapy. It is not a budgeted item.

While with the limited time I have is mostly spent with the family fleet, I have helped some friends who are selling their cars, new car for kid that needs shine. If they insist on payment I just say how about a gift card which I can then give to the Chief Domestic Officer. It's usually $50 $100 as the job always exceeds expectations. The car had been dirty so long they forgot what a sine looked like. Plus with so many quality AIOs a one step system works wonders.

My deal is simple for others. If you want me to CLEAN the car as good as it gets. (No streamer, no engine but all jams, under seats, bugs on front etc.) it's $100. I can do in about 1.5 hours if I hustle. 2 hrs if I lollygag, shoot the breeze or just take my time.

If you want your paint treated to shine and protect its $150. $200 for the Tahoe, Youkons etc. No negotiations. No back and forth. If it's a train wreck I just won't do it.

Again, with such good training from autogeek, plus great autogeek products, plus such low expectations from previous car washes, plus from getting used to a their ride as it sits, they are happy with the result for the money spent.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Our old neighbor kinda worked out a deal with me. During snow storms and power outages he would plow us out and let us hook up to the generator. He later asked for me to work on his classic porsche-1980s. Now while it was in okay (not great shape). I did the best work I could which was about 120 dollars roughly and he paid 50 considering he helped us out alot. We later helped clean out his garage because he was in fact moving and had some health issues. Id personally but maybe not legally consider that a fair deal. I personally got enjoyment and experience but he got a clean car
    Bill 1234
    2004 audi a6 quattro (traded).
    2015 Ford Escape 2.0l ecoboost 4WD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill1234 View Post
    Id personally but maybe not legally consider that a fair deal.
    what "legally" constitutes a fair deal?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    what "legally" constitutes a fair deal?
    I think that legally, any bartering has to be reported as taxable income.

How's that for nice?
    Lydia's Mobile Detailing
    Professional Detailing since 2007
    Green 1997 Dodge Dakota SLT V8 & Silver 2007 Honda ST1300

Post Thanks / Like

I barter with my acct.I take care of his Nissan 370z in return for 2 corps and one personal tax preparation. Going on 3 years now working out great.

Post Thanks / Like

Some great advice here already and a great discussion for picking up some conceptual things that would apply to just about any area.

My approach has been to develop an hourly rate as already discussed. that rate was first started by researching my area. I still call around to local detailers and pretend I am a potential customer and pick their brains to the bone. I ask EVERYTHING. Many times I can immediately discount the hacks. They're easy. The one's that know what they're doing take longer and answer my questions regarding paint correction, time spent, cost, equipment and products used etc.

Once i get some ballpark figures from the few pro's in my area I then determine my costs. That's easier than you think. How much product do I use on a 2 step? 3-4 ounces? How much is it per ounce? ($30 for 32 ounces? $50 for 32 ounces? .94 cents and $1.56 respectively. Times 3-4 ounces = easy math). If I used a pressure washer, how much gas do i use for a typical car wash? 2 gallon tank and i get 3 full car washes? How much per gallon. Etc etc for every product used. Even masking tape used is easy to calculate.

The more difficult items are electricity used, pad or machine depreciation, water used etc. however, for example, I can estimate about 100-150 vehicles done and i retire a pad. That pad cost $10? divide by 100 to get a "per use" cost. Ok, 10 cents ain't much and may seem inconsequential but throw it on the tally sheet with everything else ( and all the other 10 cent items) and BAM...it adds up. My point is to get an accurate "cost" of everything.

Once you determine what the prevailing hourly rate is around town and then your material costs you can then get a better feel for where you want to be.

The last point I'll make is that you, and us, are HERE. In my opinion, the BEST detailing site online and because of that i strongly believe we are better than most. I don't want to sound imperialistic but it is more passionately pursued by people like us who have a yearning for the best products, processes and knowledge. It is this progressive pursuit to get even better that people should pay for. A customer wants YOU to work on their vehicle because you know what you are doing and THEY don't. That also has value and should be factored in.

Post Thanks / Like

Great information Paul.
    Steve
    -The Titanic Was Built By Professionals But The Ark By Amateurs-
    "Boanerges"

Post Thanks / Like

Also depends on the individual family member/friend.

One of my "friends" would let me detail their car every week for free because "hey, he loves doing his truck!" But is always "busy" when I need something.

My cousin on the other hand, asks me to help him with his woodworking business from time to time. Assembly, installation of custom cabinets, etc. Nothing huge. I don't ask for a dime. Why?

With the foot of snow we got here yesterday, he was here with his snowplow and snow blower to clear my property and my driveway so my wife could get to work early in the morning. Would never ask me for a dime.

So like I said, it depends on the individual. JMO.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

As we swerve into barter here's mine.

Guy across street LOVES yard work but never touches his car. I HATE yard work.

Every now and then I just say gimme the keys and an hour later his white 2014 Acura TL is cleaned up.

Every now and then I come home to find a freshly mulched bed or trimmed hedges.

Nary a dime changes hands.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by backtees View Post
    As we swerve into barter here's mine.

Guy across street LOVES yard work but never touches his car. I HATE yard work.

Every now and then I just say gimme the keys and an hour later his white 2014 Acura TL is cleaned up.

Every now and then I come home to find a freshly mulched bed or trimmed hedges.

Nary a dime changes hands.

Exactly my point, backtees.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast