autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Utilities/business costs price question

So I am not actually in a postion where I have a full time job yet or actually even out of college. I do not plan on doing something detail related either/after. I do however detail on the side once and a while and have now learned to start charging people appropriately even if they are friends and family and it is okay to charge. I want to actually make some money for my efforts. I ran numbers on excel based on things and what other reputable places would charge and considered my market (upscale market definitely right outside nyc).

I however, dont necessarily have to be paying for utilities as I dont run a business (well legitimate business, its out of my driveway just as a big hobby). I was figuring it out and was wondering how much does everyone pay roughly for utilities per month. I would then subtract those out of my costs and come up with a fair price but still be able to make money.

Just for an idea, an interior and exterior would be about 270 on an suv roughly, no actual math was done, just plugging in numbers on excel, so I would find out utilities and other business costs im not paying and subtract it out.

If it seems like a bad idea, Id be open as to why, just that immediate family said you dont have utility and other business costs as such so you shouldnt charge as high
    Bill 1234
    2004 audi a6 quattro (traded).
    2015 Ford Escape 2.0l ecoboost 4WD

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Utilities/business costs price question

Quote Originally Posted by Bill1234 View Post
    I want to actually make some money for my efforts.

If it seems like a bad idea, Id be open as to why, just that immediate family said you dont have utility and other business costs as such so you shouldnt charge as high
    Since you don't actually have any expenses related to your "business", and product costs should be minimal (you'd really be hard pressed to use more than $10 or $15 on a detail), then pretty much everything you take in is "making some money". I don't know how many threads you've started like this where it seems you want to charge the going rate that professional detailers charge in your demographic area, but apparently no one wants to pay you that...because you aren't a professional detailer.

Think how much time you would have saved and how much money you would have made already if you would just charge $100 or $125 for that SUV instead of trying to get $270.

I can't help but think this is the same vehicle/customer from this thread http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ons.html...and and/or this thread...http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...your-area.html ...and this thread...http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...tml?highlight=

If $100 isn't enough money for you to detail this truck, then just enjoy the rest of your college break.

Post Thanks / Like

Setec, I would appreciate to not harass or degrade me and move on.
    Bill 1234

Post Thanks / Like

It seems like you're too focused on the random unknowing customers meeting your predetermined reserved standard price for high quality work that you'll provide for them... However, that type of initial mentality will work against you because it's a turnoff in the eyes of a potential customer who's never experienced the results yet..

You're asking someone to fork over $270 bucks on blind faith, but what happens if they're not satisfied with the final result? It's not like they have any option but to feel like they just lost $270 and that's not an appealing risk for anyone to take.

My guess is you need to loosen up a bit and with all due respect, pay some dues... That means work hard and earn it 1st! Then you'll begin to gain loyal customers who know and appreciate the dependable and great service you're known for delivering to them. But cmon man, you gotta earn that respect, you can't just knock on doors and demand it.

You also have to keep in mind that with more experience you gain, you'll also gain valuable confidence that will help you become a natural better salesman. Rookie has no sales swag, that swag comes through experience and confidence in your abilities. Gotta earn it, either that or just stick to detailing your own ride.

Sent from my iPhone

Post Thanks / Like

Im not doing this by knocking on random doors. This is being done through word of mouth and very slowly as its not a huge issue currently. I have experience with detailing for about 7 years now and also have been doing rides other than my own.

All im really looking for is how much to subtract out of utilities as im not needing to pay them
    Bill 1234

Post Thanks / Like

Im not doing this by knocking on random doors.
    I know, it was just a figure of speech.
    My point is it just seems like maybe you gotta loosen up the focus on how much you're gonna make and put some fun back into it, and fun for the customer as well, in the form of good value. Once they get hooked on your superior and consistent results, upselling will become much easier.. Sometimes you gotta give some before you take some, and there's no shame in that.

Sent from my iPhone

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I know, it was just a figure of speech.
    My point is it just seems like maybe you gotta loosen up the focus on how much you're gonna make and put some fun back into it, and fun for the customer as well, in the form of good value. Once they get hooked on your superior and consistent results, upselling will become much easier.. Sometimes you gotta give some before you take some, and there's no shame in that.

Sent from my iPhone
    No arguing just clearing that. I do put a fun element in it but the customer has not complained once. I usually dont even advertise as its often word of mouth advertisement
    Bill 1234

Post Thanks / Like

If you're doing ocassional details on the side because you enjoy it, just pick a number ($$). You ought to be able to ballpark it real easy and know that you're making a little cash, having some fun, and the "customer" is getting a great deal. Everybody wins. Personally, if in that same position, I'd be doing AIO's on the cheap (maybe even free if I knew them well) to show (and perfect) my skills on a first time detail. Educate them a bit on corrections and tell them to come back if they want more. Getting all hung up on stuff like an exact utility cost estimate to subtract from your "fee" if you had a shop seems like you might be creating a problem you don't really have.

Estimating utilities like you're asking is so variable. "Overhead" might be more appropriate descriptor. How big is the shop? How warm/cold do you keep it? Are you using a vacuum, steamer, air tools, washing machine? Is it summer or winter? How many hours per day are you running multiple tools? Is the equipment paid for? Gas vs electric heat/AC? Using hot water? Prime rent? Do you purchase product in bulk? The list is endless. I'm not sure your question is "answerable" relative to what you want to do with the that answer. Is your family's point about charging less valid? Certainly, yes it is. You can do work for a lot less money than someone with a shop. But don't get hung up on exactly how much.

I'd just pick a number for a detail and see what the "market" brings. $100? $125? $150?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harpolith View Post
    If you're doing ocassional details on the side because you enjoy it, just pick a number ($$). You ought to be able to ballpark it real easy and know that you're making a little cash, having some fun, and the "customer" is getting a great deal. Everybody wins. Personally, if in that same position, I'd be doing AIO's on the cheap (maybe even free if I knew them well) to show (and perfect) my skills on a first time detail. Educate them a bit on corrections and tell them to come back if they want more. Getting all hung up on stuff like an exact utility cost estimate to subtract from your "fee" if you had a shop seems like you might be creating a problem you don't really have.

Estimating utilities like you're asking is so variable. "Overhead" might be more appropriate descriptor. How big is the shop? How warm/cold do you keep it? Are you using a vacuum, steamer, air tools, washing machine? Is it summer or winter? How many hours per day are you running multiple tools? Is the equipment paid for? Gas vs electric heat/AC? Using hot water? Prime rent? Do you purchase product in bulk? The list is endless. I'm not sure your question is "answerable" relative to what you want to do with the that answer. Is your family's point about charging less valid? Certainly, yes it is. You can do work for a lot less money than someone with a shop. But don't get hung up on exactly how much.

I'd just pick a number for a detail and see what the "market" brings. $100? $125? $150?

That is in fact true. I went about this thinking only because of my last time. I charged 140 for a larger suv and while I did discount because I knew them, I didnt go too low. I dont get too hung up on the actual price but really the end result.
    Bill 1234

Post Thanks / Like

I dont get too hung up on the actual price but really the end result.
    There you have it.

I agree with Setec, you have a lot of threads about pricing and stuff. Figure out how much product you are using and have fun. Dont over think it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast