autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

How far do you (or your customers) travel?

This is a question for mobile or shop based detailers. How far are you or your customers traveling for your services?
    I'm considering detailing part time because I enjoy it and for extra cash. My problem is my location. I live in a somewhat small town with 4 different larger cities about 30 minutes away. I would consider going mobile but some health issues cause me to frequent the restroom and would make detailing mobile very challenging.
    Since mobile is out of the question lets talk about a fixed location.I have a garage at my home but it's rather small and really can only fit compact cars. Additionally my neighborhood is not exactly top notch. As an example the sheriff has been at my neighbors house the last 2 days "looking for someone".
    Obvious answer is to move to a bigger city and nicer area but that's just not in the budget at the moment. The only thing I can come up with is to rent a small shop in my town where the price is cheap. But my concern is people would not travel here for my services. Sorry that's a lot of rambling. So what are your thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How far do you (or your customers) travel?

I have had clients drive over 1.5hr one way to my shop for services. I have also traveled multiple hours one way to clients houses and stayed over multiple nights there.

For me I run my business out of my garage. But will travel under certain circumstances. Because I started getting busy I decided to go fully legit legit​ by filing a DBA (doing business as) with my town hall. After answering a few questions the building inspector approved it. Then I had to open a business account.

If you offer a quality product then people will travel. Most of my business isn't from my small rural town. Most of my clients travel 30min.

For instance I live in Rochester Ma which is a solid hour ride south from Boston. I have people come from up in that area as well as from western MA. They way I see it is just make it profitable for yourself.
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto Detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection

Post Thanks / Like

If I have to travel, I try to schedule multiple details in the same location. I have a group of clients /friends 2.5hrs away that I'll plan a couple of days for once a month.

Post Thanks / Like

I cannot work out of my garage. Neighborhood zoning does not allow auto detail.
    I travel to 2 nearby cities, 27 and 50 miles away. I also travel throughout my town so 7-15 miles in town.
    I guess you could go to campmor.com and get a camping john and enclosure????

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    Kirk Harrod's Mobile Detailing, Frankfort, KY
    Official Detailer of Camarofest 8 & 9
    No one has detailed more Camaros.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mrguy57 View Post
    This is a question for mobile or shop based detailers. How far are you or your customers traveling for your services?
    I'm considering detailing part time because I enjoy it and for extra cash. My problem is my location. I live in a somewhat small town with 4 different larger cities about 30 minutes away. I would consider going mobile but some health issues cause me to frequent the restroom and would make detailing mobile very challenging.
    Since mobile is out of the question lets talk about a fixed location.I have a garage at my home but it's rather small and really can only fit compact cars. Additionally my neighborhood is not exactly top notch. As an example the sheriff has been at my neighbors house the last 2 days "looking for someone".
    Obvious answer is to move to a bigger city and nicer area but that's just not in the budget at the moment. The only thing I can come up with is to rent a small shop in my town where the price is cheap. But my concern is people would not travel here for my services. Sorry that's a lot of rambling. So what are your thoughts?
    1) Wouldn't a van solve the bathroom issue?

2) Might be kind of hard getting people from a nicer neighborhood to drive to a less desirable area - especially 30 minutes away. Maybe find a garage or location to set up at in one of the towns. Maybe a small business that wants to sublease on their closed days.

Super Member CarolinasFinestDetailing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Mrguy57,

Sorry to hear about your restroom issue. Crohns?

Are you networked with a custom shop or type of mechanic shop? If not, maybe find one to network with and talk about renting a bay if they have one free. Its a great way for you to get work and for them to drive in more traffic. Otherwise, look for a small shop.

As for not traveling....if you provide absolute stellar work, and the word spreads...they will come.
    Carolina`s Finest Detailing - Charlotte areas preferred CQuartz Finest Reserve & GTECHNIQ Crystal Serum Ultra coating center. STEK/Suntek PPF
    www.Carolinasfinestdetailing.me

Post Thanks / Like

I based my business in a coastal town about 20 miles from my home. But I've taken jobs 2 hours away. Just have to charge more to compensate for travel time and expenses

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, thanks for all of the detailed replies.
    Justin@finalInspection: your reply is encouraging
    Kirkh and ducksfan: I have considered the van and camping john. Though not out of the question I just can't quite get comfortable with the ideal. Although depending what I find shop wise it may be my only option.
    Ducksfan: I agree it would be difficult to get people to come to my house. However their are some decent looking industrial buildings not to far from me that I have been looking at. My neighborhood is actually mostly industrial with a few houses scattered in the mix. My neighborhood isn't terrible, I just have crappy neighbors who like a certain "flower" that's not legal in this state.
    Carolinasfinestdetailing: I spent the better part of the last 10 years working myself into an early grave. I didn't take care of myself or visit a doctor during those years so now I'm playing catch up. I haven't been officially diagnosed yet (going to the doctor as soon as my FSA kicks in) but my mom and grandfather have digestive issues, Crohns and sprue. Unfortunately I'm not networked with anyone yet. I had not though about that but will check into it. Although, my father knows everyone in my town and have asked him to be on the look out for a shop.

Post Thanks / Like

20 miles is the maximum. Anything else and I charge a minimum extra $75.