autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mobile Rig. What to pick?

All I'm saying is don't be afraid to try and make money with a less than ideal setup. You can always upgrade later when you can afford it.

Like I said before, of course a dedicated van or trailer setup is going to look more professional. But I've never been scoffed at(at least to my face) or turned away.

Your quality of work is what will get you return business and referrals.

Post Thanks / Like

I will never forget the time I was working on a pilot and a other mobile detailer was working on a escalade.we were in the same parking section and he was driving a decent 1500 Chevy express.a lady popped out of nowhere and wanted her cobalt detailed.Guess who she came to first.you are correct about reputation but a super clean van wins all the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    As they say you have to spend money to make money.Hope you find the right vehicle for detailing.If you need someone to scout out a van for you I have no promblem helping you.
    Looking for a transit really if I'm gonna buy one. That or a HHR Panel. 90k miles is a little high for what I want, but if its strictly for work and not multipurpose thats fine. I'd love something in the 60-70k mile range.

Quote Originally Posted by 215Detailing View Post
    30 gallon tank may be able to get two cars done I have a 35 gallon tank from tractor supply, had half full and did my wife's DODGE DURANGO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AA1cFKI_ahA hope this helps
    I just picked up the same one actually.... Very rarely do I do more than one car at a time. If I get to that point where I'm doing more, I'll just upgrade.

Post Thanks / Like

For the time being, I actually decided to build a trailer to store water and a gen/PW. I attached a picture below. As stated above, very rarely do I do more than 1 vehicle at a time so a 35 gallon tank should be fine. I've never used that much on any complete detail in my life. But I guess it's all in what you sell/upsell. For all of my normal correction details (for the time being anyways), I still get people to bring their cars to me. Just easier that way since I'm not lugging around everything. This will mainly just be for the standard wash/wax, maintenance washes, and things where I wont be needing a whole lot of anything. It's a cheap start and should work well I think. Always room to upgrade later should I need to. It's, obviously, still a work in progress but in about 2 weeks or so it should be complete with branding and all that jazz.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OTSDetail View Post
    For the time being, I actually decided to build a trailer to store water and a gen/PW. I attached a picture below. As stated above, very rarely do I do more than 1 vehicle at a time so a 35 gallon tank should be fine. I've never used that much on any complete detail in my life. But I guess it's all in what you sell/upsell. For all of my normal correction details (for the time being anyways), I still get people to bring their cars to me. Just easier that way since I'm not lugging around everything. This will mainly just be for the standard wash/wax, maintenance washes, and things where I wont be needing a whole lot of anything. It's a cheap start and should work well I think. Always room to upgrade later should I need to. It's, obviously, still a work in progress but in about 2 weeks or so it should be complete with branding and all that jazz.

I like you set up, two question where did you get trailer, if possible price of trailer............garry dean just came out with a hybrid pressure washer sprayer (Garry Dean: Its a cross between a pressure washer and a low pressure system) (The difference is how the unit breaks down the water droplets so you can get 1/2 a gpm with 1100 psi) electric motor linked to an AR PUMP at 1/2 a gallon a minute and 1000psi seriously thinking of purchasing for under $1000.00

Post Thanks / Like

For 900.00 you can get a Honda that will last and a 100 gallon tank all on a skid and be ready for anything.I understand your point about getting started very small,but there is nothing worse than buying things twice.you will spend more time on a car with limited equipment.But if it suits you than that's awesome.

Post Thanks / Like

For 900.00 you can get a Honda that will last and a 100 gallon tank all on a skid and be ready for anything.I understand your point about getting started very small,but there is nothing worse than buying things twice.you will spend more time on a car with limited equipment.But if it suits you than that's awesome.
    Any info and photos/videos of said unit, company website to look into this (might fit in the DURANGO) ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 215Detailing View Post
    I like you set up, two question where did you get trailer, if possible price of trailer............garry dean just came out with a hybrid pressure washer sprayer (Garry Dean: Its a cross between a pressure washer and a low pressure system) (The difference is how the unit breaks down the water droplets so you can get 1/2 a gpm with 1100 psi) electric motor linked to an AR PUMP at 1/2 a gallon a minute and 1000psi seriously thinking of purchasing for under $1000.00
    This is the 40x48" Northern Tool trailer. Same one from harbor freight its just black instead of red. HF is cheaper. Thought i could get this one for $40 more than HF (really wanted black) but in store it was retail 279.99 instead of the 239.99 online. I will be welding this one together as opposed to bolting, which will eliminate the decking sitting 1/4" off the rails and bowing. If it works out, I have room and the means (perks of having a welder) to add on to the size to make it bigger and better. Plywood will be painted black or bed-linered. Eventually adding black diamond plate instead of plywood for a more "official" look.

Yes I agree nothing is worse than buying twice, but this is also more of an attempt at expanding than a full on mobile detail operation. I still do most of my details here... like 98% of them. If it ends up working out the way I hope, then I'll have the means to upgrade pretty quick if need be. The pressure washer on there isn't the one I'll be using, was just using it for size comparison/measurements. the one I'm getting is about $400 and the gen is the honda 160 2700 watt for about $600. should fit real nice on the trailer. Although I may pick up the HF predator 4000 or whatever it is in the mean time. I should have a "decent" set up for sub $1000. Which is good for the occasional mobile detail I do and growing.

I also don't have a need for a 100 gallon tank right now.. nor do I have a place to put one. If I got a dedicated detailing vehicle, then I'd totally build it bigger and better. But until then this will have to do.

Post Thanks / Like

I have had the same HF generator give me issues on several occasions.

My Honda one works like a champ. It is worth the money for the reliability of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Transit Connect, 1st gen is the way to go. I drive one at work and they are bullett proof. I'm sure you can find one with 100k for under $10K if you look.

We also have 3 HHR panels, 105K to 201K and if you covered the odometer you couldn't tell which was which. Not as much room in these as the Transit Connect but it's also a little better on gas. My TC gets anywhere from 25 to 29 mpg in mixed driving, less now in the winter ofocarse. The 2.3L engine in the 1st gen has been around forever, no issues there. Can't say we've had any major problems with our 2 but the older one dropped a cylinder at 176K but that was before I got there. They change the oil every 10K with Peak syn and I remember over 4 years ago getting there the current oil change went 18K, that doesn't happen anymore!

Good luck to you and your business and one more thing, the TC uses particular tires due to load rating, not expensive but you need to know what's going on your van and/or what's on it already. It takes 40 psi in the front and 49 psi in the rear.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast