autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mobile Rig. What to pick?

They are not full sized.

Mobile Rig. What to pick?-ram-promaster-city-qt-17-600-001-jpg
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

I meant to post the other day. If you're like me, mobile but not toting a massive amount of water, almost any sedan will do. Although I feel an SUV looks a little more professional, and of course a dedicated van or trailer setup would be more so. And signage will help too, and I see you're working on that.

I've started out with a Forester and it served me well. My Cherokee has been about the same. Just a little more height inside, but the extra space is really not used. I do like using the back as a working area/bench and the extra height of the Jeep makes it a little more comfortable to use.

I've used my WRX on several occasions and really didn't feel too limited. I can fit my big old shop-vac, my nice compact Honda generator, a couple of buckets filled with water if necessary, and my numerous boxes other supplies, plus my work platform.

Optimal? No

Professional? Meh

Still make money? Yes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post
    They are not full sized.

Mobile Rig. What to pick?-ram-promaster-city-qt-17-600-001-jpg
    Ah. I did not do my due diligence. I thought you guys were talking about the HUGE like full size Ram vans. The comparable to the regular Ford Transit. I see. Maybe I'll take a look at one of those too but I'm not a huge fan of Dodge. And them being newer is going to be out of my price range unless high mileage which I don't want/need. I do like the exterior look of them though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantilgh View Post
    I meant to post the other day. If you're like me, mobile but not toting a massive amount of water, almost any sedan will do. Although I feel an SUV looks a little more professional, and of course a dedicated van or trailer setup would be more so. And signage will help too, and I see you're working on that.

I've started out with a Forester and it served me well. My Cherokee has been about the same. Just a little more height inside, but the extra space is really not used. I do like using the back as a working area/bench and the extra height of the Jeep makes it a little more comfortable to use.

I've used my WRX on several occasions and really didn't feel too limited. I can fit my big old shop-vac, my nice compact Honda generator, a couple of buckets filled with water if necessary, and my numerous boxes other supplies, plus my work platform.

Optimal? No

Professional? Meh

Still make money? Yes
    Yeah most of my customers are home-based and will let me use their water/electricity, so I dont necessarily need to tote around everything. But I'm sorta trying to justify my purchase in a way as a good family car and a good double duty work vehicle when I need it. The option still remains to build a small trailer to tote a water tank and generator to save interior space. I have a 2005 ford focus and 2002 explorer I use occasionally when the time comes to be mobile. It works. I just need something low mileage and a little less shitty than both of those lol. I dont plan on picking up any corporate contracts anytime soon (although the option remains if I purchase the correct vehicle) but right now I'd be content with a home-based client or one or two at a time where I can tote a 35-55 gallon tank with me and get through them both.

Post Thanks / Like

I say get a van. even if you planning on not bringing much. you can put lot's of stuff in a van and lock it up. ladders, scaffolding and the like won't fit in a small car. also your not filtering your water? you need a DI filter, big or small. Tap water is no good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OTSDetail View Post
    Yeah most of my customers are home-based and will let me use their water/electricity, so I dont necessarily need to tote around everything. But I'm sorta trying to justify my purchase in a way as a good family car and a good double duty work vehicle when I need it. The option still remains to build a small trailer to tote a water tank and generator to save interior space. I have a 2005 ford focus and 2002 explorer I use occasionally when the time comes to be mobile. It works. I just need something low mileage and a little less shitty than both of those lol. I dont plan on picking up any corporate contracts anytime soon (although the option remains if I purchase the correct vehicle) but right now I'd be content with a home-based client or one or two at a time where I can tote a 35-55 gallon tank with me and get through them both.
    Some may not a agree but here is my take on this.you need a van you can work out of a Cherokee but it's not as professional looking.people are intended to go with someone with a nice setup cause they feel they are committed.A nice clean looking van will get you calls at a traffic light.30 gallons is nothing probably can't even detail a car with that you will struggle with time if your not organized.I see transits all day long for 6 to 7 k with 90k on them.look around other than your state.fla is one of the big car capital states 17 auto auctions.you simply can't do it in a car.I barely manage in a transit.

Post Thanks / Like

As they say you have to spend money to make money.Hope you find the right vehicle for detailing.If you need someone to scout out a van for you I have no promblem helping you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    Some may not a agree but here is my take on this.you need a van you can work out of a Cherokee but it's not as professional looking.people are intended to go with someone with a nice setup cause they feel they are committed.A nice clean looking van will get you calls at a traffic light.30 gallons is nothing probably can't even detail a car with that you will struggle with time if your not organized.I see transits all day long for 6 to 7 k with 90k on them.look around other than your state.fla is one of the big car capital states 17 auto auctions.you simply can't do it in a car.I barely manage in a transit.
    30 gallon tank may be able to get two cars done I have a 35 gallon tank from tractor supply, had half full and did my wife's DODGE DURANGO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AA1cFKI_ahA hope this helps

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 215Detailing View Post
    30 gallon tank may be able to get two cars done I have a 35 gallon tank from tractor supply, had half full and did my wife's DODGE DURANGO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AA1cFKI_ahA hope this helps
    I had a 40 gallon tank in my trailer and comfortably washed 2 cars conventionally and had a little water to spare. I had to be conservative with spraying it so i didnt waste it

One thing to remember about purchasing a van is that if things don't work out you can always sell it and recoup most of the cost

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    David

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 215Detailing View Post
    washing 2 cars compared to a detail where you wash clay flush out all jams wheels etc 60 gallons barely gets it done.Totally 2 different water usage.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast