autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: am I worthy?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: am I worthy?

Quote Originally Posted by dad07 View Post
    PDQ= Pretty Damn Quick!
    Ahhh,

Post Thanks / Like

I'm curious how you guys worked out the hourly rate setup with your wholesale dealer accounts? Most dealers around here seem to want some sort of flat rate which is way too low considering the condition of the vehicles that typically come from the auctions and customer trade-ins.
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Well our prices started as flat rate but soon after I started, the boss just said this is how it's going to be. And yes I ment the pdq car wash.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

My main concern is that we only use 3m perfect it compound, malco swirl remover on a cyclo then wipe it down with showroom shine. To me they look perfect, in the sun they look like fresh paint but then I get online and hear about other people using different products for different makes and a bunch of stuff iv never heard of. I don't see our shop staying open another 10 years, and iv learned all I can form anyone in the area. I need advise on what to do. I'm 26 2 kids, one on the way and looking for a plan

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

And we use "paint bull" chip repair products

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Thoreson View Post
    My main concern is that we only use 3m perfect it compound, malco swirl remover on a cyclo then wipe it down with showroom shine. To me they look perfect, in the sun they look like fresh paint but then I get online and hear about other people using different products for different makes and a bunch of stuff iv never heard of. I don't see our shop staying open another 10 years, and iv learned all I can form anyone in the area. I need advise on what to do. I'm 26 2 kids, one on the way and looking for a plan
    Either buy your boss out,or go out on your own.schooling and education are very important.see if you can learn a valuable trade like autobody.I was in the same situation was 31 went I built my dream house in Florida.so I had to stick with detailing,how ever I own a different business and starting a third.cash is king save what you can,and you may have a brighter future ahead.

Post Thanks / Like

Why don't you think your shop will be around in 10 years?
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Post Thanks / Like

Detail on the side, start building up your own brand. Use the products that you've been reading about and dying to try out. Hope everything works out for you!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I say we will be closed bc the owner is 67 years old, half blind and never wants to try anything new. We don't even have our name on the building or business cards to hand out. And I would love to do work on the side but with the kids and work, I'm up at 6 and home at 6. I have no time right now. Plus when I tell people I'm a detailer, they think I'm one of those guys that will charge you $150 to vacuum and smear up the windows. I wish there was a way to distinguish between people like us and that kid that works in the back at a dealership

Mike Phillips

Hi all, I just found this forum and still have alot of reading to do but my main reason for joining is I'm not sure how good I am. Without making too long of a post, I work in a professional shop, the owner has 40+ years experience, helped develop pdq, and has had many successful businesses.

He is semi retired now and employs me and my "manager". He always has high praises for us and claims we are the best anywhere. But ik there is alot to learn yet. There are many shops In the area and I do admit, we are better than them but I feel we are on a different level. They are the 4 hour and done shops. We do scratch removal and chip repair plus the interiors.

We charge $40 a hour and our average bill is around $300-$400. We don't get alot of business that way but we also do cars for a local dealership. We charge them 32 an hour and spend 5-10 hours on each of their cars. I have no one to compare myself to and don't want to embarrass myself in the real world.

Sounds like you have a strong foundation to build on to me.

I say we will be closed bc the owner is 67 years old, half blind and never wants to try anything new.

We don't even have our name on the building or business cards to hand out. And I would love to do work on the side but with the kids and work,

I'm up at 6 and home at 6. I have no time right now. Plus when I tell people I'm a detailer, they think I'm one of those guys that will charge you $150 to vacuum and smear up the windows. I wish there was a way to distinguish between people like us and that kid that works in the back at a dealership

The best move you've made was joining this forum. Becoming great at anything starts with knowledge and that's what this forum is all about, sharing knowledge or information.

The products and tools you're using have respectable names but there are a LOT more tools, pads and product options available to you.

I'd highly recommend attending my next Competition Ready Class in February, it's $1,795.00 for the three day course but you'll bet both knowledge and skills to start your own business.

If you don't have the money in your budget to attend the class then check out how this young many forged a way to attend.

How to pay for your Competition Ready 3-Day Detailing Class with GoFundMe

Besides my class there are a lot of other classes out there plus this forum, videos, books and simply investing in some of your own tools, pads and products and like Yoda states,

Do or do not, there is no try - Yoda

What is meant by this statement is make up your mind to give it everything you have.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast