autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Detailing Van Advice! Transit Connect vs Transit - 150

Looking at taking the business full time here soon and in need of a full time detailing rig. Currently using a 2012 Golf GTI. Looking to be fully mobile (water/electricity on board) and possibly be taking care of fleet/commercial accounts in the future. With everyone's experience, what direction would you recommend going for a long term investment. There is some decent deals here in the Dallas, TX area on either one new. My concerns is over buying and not really needing the additional space and paying additional costs on fuel. I'll have an extractor/da polishers/steam cleaner/spray bottles/extra chemicals/microfiber towels/etc. on board. It seems like the connect will be tight fit for everything , but from what I've seen can work if you organize things properly or make a custom setup.

2016 Ford Transit Connect XL : Roughly $18k new before TTL (0% up to 72 months)
    2016 Ford Transit - 150 : Roughly 26k new before TTL (0% up to 72 months)

Now the business can afford either direction , just looking for people thoughts and opinions!

Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detailing Van Advice! Transit Connect vs Transit - 150

We have used the Mercedes Sprinter and the new Ford transit ecoboost which is currently in our service fleet.

The Mercedes has expensive service costs but it is a better built rig and much much better fuel mileage. We were getting 18-24 mpg depending on the driver and load.

The Ford ecoboost mileage has been horrible at 13 for a loaded vehicle to a max of 15. I don't know why they have any eco naming on it at all. It also had to be towed into the shop before its first oil change was due. The limp mode is down right dangerous and like insanely so as compared to the sprinter limp mode.

Our fleet vehicles are probably more loaded down, unless your going to install a water tank for washing. If that is the case I would find a fleet sale Mercedes in good shape. The ford wallows with a weight load and the front end is too light.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CER3PAD View Post
    [FONT="]Looking at taking the business full time here soon and in need of a full [/FONT]time detailing rig. Currently using a 2012 Golf GTI. Looking to be fully mobile (water/electricity on board) and possibly be taking care of fleet/commercial accounts in the future. With everyone's experience, what direction would you recommend going for a long term investment. There is some decent deals here in the Dallas, TX area on either one new. My concerns is over buying and not really needing the additional space and paying additional costs on fuel. I'll have an extractor/da polishers/steam cleaner/spray bottles/extra chemicals/microfiber towels/etc. on board. It seems like the connect will be tight fit for everything , but from what I've seen can work if you organize things properly or make a custom setup.

[FONT="]2016 Ford Transit Connect XL : Roughly $18k new before TTL (0% up to 72 months)[/FONT]
    [FONT="]2016 Ford Transit - 150 : Roughly 26k new before TTL (0% up to 72 months)

[/FONT]
    Now the business can afford either direction , just looking for people thoughts and opinions!

Thanks in advance!
    I currently have a 2010 transit connect and love it.max water tank is 100 gallons.Bought it carmax a year old with out the business up fit shelving.Gas mileage isnt bad fully loaded down.35.00 gets you 330 mi.cant overload them there on a focus platform so this wouldn't be the truck to do fleet washing.Best truck I ever owned was a 2009 f250 diesel utility box truck.If your going to be committed and doing fleet,I would look into a used f250 diesel utility box truck.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nor Cal ZL1 View Post
    We have used the Mercedes Sprinter and the new Ford transit ecoboost which is currently in our service fleet.

The Mercedes has expensive service costs but it is a better built rig and much much better fuel mileage. We were getting 18-24 mpg depending on the driver and load.

The Ford ecoboost mileage has been horrible at 13 for a loaded vehicle to a max of 15. I don't know why they have any eco naming on it at all. It also had to be towed into the shop before its first oil change was due. The limp mode is down right dangerous and like insanely so as compared to the sprinter limp mode.

Our fleet vehicles are probably more loaded down, unless your going to install a water tank for washing. If that is the case I would find a fleet sale Mercedes in good shape. The ford wallows with a weight load and the front end is too light.
    Well it sounds like the Transit-Connect will be too small or not capable for payload. So I may be ruling that out for now....

Now the full size Transit-150 may work , but I'll definitely take a look at the Mercedes Metris/Sprinter. Luckily I know someone that works at a brand new Mercedes dealership here in the Dallas area.
    So I'll see where pricing falls into the scheme of things.

Have you had any complaints or equipment issues with the Sprinter?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    I currently have a 2010 transit connect and love it.max water tank is 100 gallons.Bought it carmax a year old with out the business up fit shelving.Gas mileage isnt bad fully loaded down.35.00 gets you 330 mi.cant overload them there on a focus platform so this wouldn't be the truck to do fleet washing.Best truck I ever owned was a 2009 f250 diesel utility box truck.If your going to be committed and doing fleet,I would look into a used f250 diesel utility box truck.
    Thanks for the advice! Looks like the transit connect may be too small for my future goals.
    Like Nor Cal ZL1 said, I may look into something like the sprinter or metris that can take the extra payload and have the additional room.

Post Thanks / Like

what size tank are you going with?. Anythything from 250 to 300 gallons of water will take a toll on the transmission.I started out in fla in 2003 being mobile and went through 5 brandnew ford trucks.3 econoline 250 and one e 350 diesel brandnew which were really hard to find at that time.The diesel didn't even make it to 37000 mi transmission was shot.I traded for f250 diesel utility box truck.Although it was a nice truck my stuff was exposed in the weather all the time.My pw tank gen and compressor.The truck was sending codes for emission promblems and it died on me from ny to Orlando.I was trailing my motorcycle and had to ride it 2 hrs south of Orlando in the rain at 2am.At this time I was aggravated,fixed the truck under warranty and sold it.I got rid of all my carwash customers and fleet accts.Took a year off and decided to get back to it.Bought this transit even though I didn't want another ford.kept my business strictly retail detail no carwashing and fleet stuff.my Advice to you is either a dually or a trailer if you are going to be loaded with water everyday.

Post Thanks / Like

Or do a f250 used with a enclosed trailer.If you have major hills where you live add on more promblems good luck in your choice of vehicles.

Post Thanks / Like

Have you considered buying a Tacoma, Canyon, or even a full sized truck and adding a small enclosed trailer for the water tank and generator? You would have a lot less wear and tear on the truck since the towing capacity is higher than payload capacity.

I think a Tacoma with a shell on the bed with a trailer would be nice. If you added a shell, you really wouldn't need a enclosed trailer, just a utility.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by willyray18 View Post
    Have you considered buying a Tacoma, Canyon, or even a full sized truck and adding a small enclosed trailer for the water tank and generator? You would have a lot less wear and tear on the truck since the towing capacity is higher than payload capacity.

I think a Tacoma with a shell on the bed with a trailer would be nice. If you added a shell, you really wouldn't need a enclosed trailer, just a utility.
    You're completely right.^ I worked for a very successful high end detailer for a while and he did everything he did out of a Tacoma pickup with a camper shell. Water tank, generator, compressor, milk crates for gallons of concentrates, towels, bottles, etc.
    All the polishers got stored inside behind the seatback.. Everything fit in just that set up. He also had another Toyota truck, that 1 had a trailer like you suggest that held the water tank, generator, and compressor. Very simple yet effective setup. Very doable.

Post Thanks / Like

If you are looking for a good deal on a van call me buddy Dan at 936-524-9774 He is in Texas. He will deliver to you or you can fly in and pick up. Houston area. he will give you a deal. Just tell him Dave said to call.
    2011 Compass Latitude Bright Silver/ 2017 Nissan Rogue SV AWD Premium Glacier White
    REFLECTIVE IMAGE DETAILING

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast