autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Usage of the "Vehicle Inspection Form"

Since getting a copy of the VIF, I have been making it a practice to use it.

Has anyone ever been in situations where it SAVED there business?

You see, there is a woman I work with whom I have buffed her car. Her friend happens to ask for a quote on her own car after seeing my recent work. This friend happens to own a red 2014 Ferrari F430. Right now I am not getting direct answers of what she wants done to it. The woman I work with is currently the middleman and I would rather have contact with this other person directly.

As much as I would love to hop in and do this car to add to my portfolio (this would be my first supercar) ... I think it would be wise to stick to the form.

Thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Usage of the "Vehicle Inspection Form"

Sounds like the problem is that the owner of the car isn't bothering to contact you. Just get her contact info and give her a call. You won't need the VIF until you see the car in person with the owner there to go over it together.

If the owner of the car doesn't want to speak to you directly, just drop it. That's a big red flag of impending trouble.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brettS4 View Post
    Sounds like the problem is that the owner of the car isn't bothering to contact you. Just get her contact info and give her a call. You won't need the VIF until you see the car in person with the owner there to go over it together.

If the owner of the car doesn't want to speak to you directly, just drop it. That's a big red flag of impending trouble.
    Well you win some you lose some.

Plus for such a high price car, without something as simple as the VIF, too much risk.

You are right!

Post Thanks / Like

Don't get swept away by the car... Getting an F430 doesn't guarantee future business.
    Always do the VIF, use it to point out items that require attention.
    I have modified Mike's form to include:

1.) A 12 step rating system of the paint taken from Mike's book.
    2.) Paint Depth measurements for each body panel.
    3.) I also include Odometer Readings (in/out) and a gas gauge measurement.
    4.)The package recommendation + add on's and quote, then I the clients initials that they accept the quote.

It's a great form to mark where issues lie. I did a S550 where I could tell the back was repainted (from my PTG readings).
    I pointed that out to the customer and made him sign off on it. Therefor if an issue arose in that spot, it was already addressed.

Also, are you insured to have an incident on a Ferrari? Personally, I won't take them, or other super-cars. One incident can max out my per-occurrence, not to mention deductible.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by paul_g View Post
    Also, are you insured to have an incident on a Ferrari? Personally, I won't take them, or other super-cars. One incident can max out my per-occurrence, not to mention deductible.
    THAT IS A GREAT POINT!!!!!!!

well that settles this question... Thanks for playing folks.

Thank you all really for wonderful advice.

VIF = MUST

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by brettS4 View Post

Don't get swept away by the car... Getting an F430 doesn't guarantee future business.
    Always do the VIF, use it to point out items that require attention.

I have modified Mike's form to include:

1.) A 12 step rating system of the paint taken from Mike's book.
    2.) Paint Depth measurements for each body panel.
    3.) I also include Odometer Readings (in/out) and a gas gauge measurement.
    4.)The package recommendation + add on's and quote, then I the clients initials that they accept the quote.
    That's great!

I'm taking a guess when number 1 in that list above is this,

Paint Condition Categories

It's a great form to mark where issues lie. I did a S550 where I could tell the back was repainted (from my PTG readings).
    I pointed that out to the customer and made him sign off on it. Therefor if an issue arose in that spot, it was already addressed.
    That's the exact type of thing this forum is for - being pro-active, not re-active.

Post Thanks / Like

If they think they have a 2014 Ferrari F430 then they're crazy, they didn't make the F430 past, 09 I believe. They were either lied to or have a 458.

Also, I with Paul G, getting a Ferrari doesn't do too much in getting more business.

I've worked with a few of these "middleman" scenarios like you are. You're better off passing on this. I once did a 458 Speciale from an auction working with a middleman and it was one if the worst cars I've ever worked on. It had repainted panels that didn't match, clear coat overspray everywhere and even Sharpie marker used for some paint chips. Not to mention the leather interior was covered in this horrible silicone dressing that never really came off.

I told this middleman everything I found and they looked like they crapped their pants. I'm sure they didn't tell fhe owner. Not to mention if this middleman screws something up taking the car back they can blame you.
    Former professional detailer. Current medical student (class of 2023)

2017 Infiniti Q60 3.0t AWD

Post Thanks / Like

I will add the following in this situation....

1. Since you are working with a middle-man; indicate your policy in such situations is that your initial visit will cover just a physical inspection of the vehicle by you with the middle-man and the car owner present.
    2. Let them know that you will need them to attest to the condition of the vehicle's paint at the time of inspection; make it part of the overall package of documents that contain the VIF itself. Use the condition offered by KBB.net for Excellent, Good, Fair, Poor, etc....
    3. Let them know the VIF will be completed/baselined by you after you wash and clay the vehicle; and explain why. Only then will the middle-man and the owner's attestation can be validated.

While some of the words above are legal-esse... you can use common language in the overall documentation set. As long as they sign the paperwork you have more than a verbal agreement and you remove a lot of plausible deniability on their part. :-)

Lastly, take things slow and at their pace. Engage when engaged and don't come across too excited or desperate for the work.