autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Getting part time up and running again!

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    Doing it partime,make it worth your time and charge .people are always gonna look for a bargain,they want a steak but want to pay for a burger.your full time job will let you pass on certain jobs at mediocre compensation.good luck and wish you the best.
    Can you put a capitol letter at the beginning of your sentences?

Sorry. Your posts are pretty good - but this bothers me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SKorch630 View Post
    I wish more people knew this lol. They'll ALWAYS want steak at burger prices. Excellent advice.

My $.02, if you care to consider it, is to build your part-time work around a certain demographic. Don't just take each, and every, job that comes your way. You'll burn out quickly, get frustrated, and you'll lose interest. Building a successful business is about passion, dedication, hard work, and persistence. I say choose a certain demographic because you'll have a much easier time turning that into a full time gig once you build a solid client list. Even if you don't decide to go full time, you'll have this nice client list to fall back on for those weekend jobs. Things won't take off over night. It'll take some time, but go at a pace you feel comfortable with. You don't have to become a millionaire tomorrow, next week is fine
    Hmm I think I understand what your saying, although if I'm going to be doing production type of detailing that does limit my options. So within that field what certain demographics do I have to choose from? I mean I would like to target higher end vehicles, that require more time for the showroom finish and a customer base that cares more about the quality of the job as opposed to the price. But I feel like that might be difficult to do given my situation.
    Shani Vasserman
    HD Auto Detailing
    www.hdautodetailing.ca

Post Thanks / Like

My business is about as part-time as it gets. I only do it 2 days per week and literally only take the jobs that come from referrals from previous customers. DO NOT budge on your price. While most of us here really enjoy detailing, doing it part time takes away from doing other things that you would like to do. For me, it takes away part of my family time and I have to price that accordingly. If I'm not sitting having coffee with my wife on a sunday morning because your car needs a detail, be prepared to pay for it. In the 6 or so years that I have been a part time business, I have only had 2 people question my pricing and I no longer take their phone calls. DO NOT undervalue your time. While my pricing is reasonable, I do not budge just to get a job. You should feel the same about your time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by garyg7133 View Post
    My business is about as part-time as it gets. I only do it 2 days per week and literally only take the jobs that come from referrals from previous customers. DO NOT budge on your price. While most of us here really enjoy detailing, doing it part time takes away from doing other things that you would like to do. For me, it takes away part of my family time and I have to price that accordingly. If I'm not sitting having coffee with my wife on a sunday morning because your car needs a detail, be prepared to pay for it. In the 6 or so years that I have been a part time business, I have only had 2 people question my pricing and I no longer take their phone calls. DO NOT undervalue your time. While my pricing is reasonable, I do not budge just to get a job. You should feel the same about your time.
    Very well said and a very good point. Thank you for the advice!
    Shani Vasserman
    HD Auto Detailing
    www.hdautodetailing.ca

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by garyg7133 View Post
    Great advice here. I also only limit myself to part time(mainly during the week, and maybe a day on the weekend). I have started out small and plan to keep it small. I started out doing friend's cars and posting my progress pictures to my facebook. This has helped spread the word among my friends and have been having a steady stream of request to do work from their friends/family members as well(all sorts of interior.exterior jobs ranging from AIO, to paint correction). They all know the quality of my work and know that I only do it part time inbetween my full time(personal trainer+tennis instructor) and my schedule can be quite hectic. I also explain the process behidn the cost if they try to bargain it and if they feel it's high then I simply tell them they can gladly find another place to go. Dont be afraid to turn down work.

Regardless I have to turn down jobs or push them back due to my schedule constraints, but I as well as them are okay with it. Also for what its worth, almsot all of my jobs(~85% are production details with ~5-10% being upper end paint correction/ multiple step jobs)

Post Thanks / Like

I like your website, very nice looking. I would change the cursive font to something easier to read. Cursive looks fancy, but when have you seen it used on a company's website. Not very often. I like your photo banner that is changing, but don't like the tiles. Maybe just a simple fade or something less busy. My moto with websites from a consumer standpoint is, "simpler is better".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NotoriouswithaG View Post
    Great advice here. I also only limit myself to part time(mainly during the week, and maybe a day on the weekend). I have started out small and plan to keep it small. I started out doing friend's cars and posting my progress pictures to my facebook. This has helped spread the word among my friends and have been having a steady stream of request to do work from their friends/family members as well(all sorts of interior.exterior jobs ranging from AIO, to paint correction). They all know the quality of my work and know that I only do it part time inbetween my full time(personal trainer+tennis instructor) and my schedule can be quite hectic. I also explain the process behidn the cost if they try to bargain it and if they feel it's high then I simply tell them they can gladly find another place to go. Dont be afraid to turn down work.

Regardless I have to turn down jobs or push them back due to my schedule constraints, but I as well as them are okay with it. Also for what its worth, almsot all of my jobs(~85% are production details with ~5-10% being upper end paint correction/ multiple step jobs)
    Thanks once again this is a similar approach I would like to follow. Always appreciate good insight and advice. I also have a Facebook page but it has not worked to my advantage as far as getting new clientčle, mainly just showcasing my work if anyone is curious. But I suppose it will get better if I keep at it. Thanks again.
    Shani Vasserman
    HD Auto Detailing
    www.hdautodetailing.ca

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LEDetailing View Post
    I like your website, very nice looking. I would change the cursive font to something easier to read. Cursive looks fancy, but when have you seen it used on a company's website. Not very often. I like your photo banner that is changing, but don't like the tiles. Maybe just a simple fade or something less busy. My moto with websites from a consumer standpoint is, "simpler is better".
    Thanks for your input I will change my banner to a simple fade I think that will simple things out. Although I really really like the cursive look I thought the same thing when I was making it, but haven't got feedback about the font itself. You do have a point though I rarely see other websites with cursive so I will look into trying to find a simple print that also has a nice look to it. Thank you I appreciate your help.
    Shani Vasserman
    HD Auto Detailing
    www.hdautodetailing.ca

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12