autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

My FIRST bad interaction with customer

I have been detailing part-time for almost a year. I have never had a customer be displeased or unhappy, as I tell ALL my customers that if they notice something I missed (because I am not perfect) that they can bring the vehicle back and I'll touch-up or fix what I missed for free.

So I recently had an older retired gentleman bring me his old Buick Riviera that was in immaculate condition for a wash and wax, he wanted me to use the wax he had, which was fine. Already at that point I could tell he was more of a "his way" type of guy.

I am now getting to the point where I can't do stuff for free, and am learning to say no to the customers when they ask for simple free add-ons.

He asked me if I could vacuum his Buick after I washed and waxed it. I told him that would be extra, and he said "I'll do it myself". Well okay then, have at her, I thought to myself. For a wash and wax I am at $80.00, weather or not that's cheap or expensive, it is what it is. I live in a town of baby boomers and a population of 18,000 with no full-service detail locations, or strictly detailing for that matter. Was I wrong in that situation?

Next, he brings me his wife's VW Bug and asks how much to do the interior and wash and wax on it. I explain to him that the wash and wax again was $80.00, and the interior would be around $150.00. He said "I'll do the interior myself." Well, okay then sir... I thought to myself. At that point I explained to him the clay bar process, and he was not interested.

So he brings me the VW and its a tan color. He asks me if I can try and get some black scuffs out of the rocker panels where his shoes have rubbed on them getting in the vehicle. I said that I could try. Now what I meant was, based on the service he is paying me for, that I will try to do the best I can.

Needless to say, he comes to pick up the vehicle and says "oh you didn't get those scuffs out"? And I explain to him that it would be extra because it would require me to use my polisher. At that point he seemed a little disgusted, and told me that he would use some rubbing compound when he got home because any other place would have removed them scuffs AND the severe contamination that was also there for the $80.00 that he paid. In my head I am thinking okay well if you're price shopping then you're coming to the wrong guy.

In quick effort to save my ass and hope he returns, although $80.00 wash and waxes don't even put a divot in my monthly sales, I just wanted him to be happy. I said "well sir if you would have let me explain to you, I was going to charge you $50.00 for the VW giving that it's a smaller vehicle and you brought me another vehicle last week." He said just tell her (his wife) how much to write the check for, then stampeded back to his vehicle and sat in there while his wife took care of the funds. Was I wrong here?

I am quickly learning the power of "no"....

Post Thanks / Like

Re: My FIRST bad interaction with customer

3 cars from the guy I would take care of him.. Just me..

Post Thanks / Like

He will be a dick every time you see him, better off standing your ground now.

Post Thanks / Like

You cant please everyone. Youll always get that one person who comes in and is not happy. I think you handled it gracefully. Its a business after all.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

There are just some customers you don't want.

Post Thanks / Like

When I see things on a car such as the scuff marks you mentioned, I will just go ahead and touch them up automatically. I already saw some pretty big scratches along side of vehicles that I buffed out without extra charge. Those small fixes are not time consuming and speak volumes for your professionalism and passion as a detailer. Now a complete paint correction on a car you would definitely increase your price. It's the little things and the details about detailing that keep customers happy and coming back.

Lastly, regardless of if you were right or he was, word of mouth is your best advertiser or your demise. If he goes and tells people in your small community you may as well close shop.

In the end you can't please everyone. Do your best and go the extra mile for the customer and the work and customers will continue.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Communication is key and stand your ground.

Post Thanks / Like

Give an inch,they will take a mile. Sounds like you are busy enough for him not to come back,as long as your reputation doesn't suffer. Something to consider in a small town. Nothing spreads like bad news or discontent. Stand your ground,in a nice way and he may rethink his expectations of you.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a situation where a customer dropped off his older Mitsubishi Eclipse. It was maroon in color and had bugs etched into the front bumper and mirror like I've never seen after a complete pressure washing and 2 bucket wash. The car looked amazing when I was finished but when he picked it up he asked why I didn't get the bugs off. I explained I did and had him feel. I could of spent 2 hours polishing out the etching. On a bumper and all the small crevices you can just imagine.

With some explanation to him, and getting him to understand all the actual bugs were removed, he was okay with it. I advised him if he wanted me to remove the etching I could for an additional fee. Communication and explaining the process to customers is imperative. Remember, their knowledge is very sub par at best when it comes to this industry. Explain it to them in Lehmans terms.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mbkite View Post
    3 cars from the guy I would take care of him.. Just me..
    It was 2 cars, the Buick and the VW, but I know what you mean. If I would have done decontamination I would have more than likely taken the scuffs out, but in not gonna take the scuffs out when all I did was a wash and wax.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast