I have been detailing part-time for almost a year. I have never had a customer be displeased or unhappy, as I tell ALL my customers that if they notice something I missed (because I am not perfect) that they can bring the vehicle back and I'll touch-up or fix what I missed for free.

So I recently had an older retired gentleman bring me his old Buick Riviera that was in immaculate condition for a wash and wax, he wanted me to use the wax he had, which was fine. Already at that point I could tell he was more of a "his way" type of guy.

I am now getting to the point where I can't do stuff for free, and am learning to say no to the customers when they ask for simple free add-ons.

He asked me if I could vacuum his Buick after I washed and waxed it. I told him that would be extra, and he said "I'll do it myself". Well okay then, have at her, I thought to myself. For a wash and wax I am at $80.00, weather or not that's cheap or expensive, it is what it is. I live in a town of baby boomers and a population of 18,000 with no full-service detail locations, or strictly detailing for that matter. Was I wrong in that situation?

Next, he brings me his wife's VW Bug and asks how much to do the interior and wash and wax on it. I explain to him that the wash and wax again was $80.00, and the interior would be around $150.00. He said "I'll do the interior myself." Well, okay then sir... I thought to myself. At that point I explained to him the clay bar process, and he was not interested.

So he brings me the VW and its a tan color. He asks me if I can try and get some black scuffs out of the rocker panels where his shoes have rubbed on them getting in the vehicle. I said that I could try. Now what I meant was, based on the service he is paying me for, that I will try to do the best I can.

Needless to say, he comes to pick up the vehicle and says "oh you didn't get those scuffs out"? And I explain to him that it would be extra because it would require me to use my polisher. At that point he seemed a little disgusted, and told me that he would use some rubbing compound when he got home because any other place would have removed them scuffs AND the severe contamination that was also there for the $80.00 that he paid. In my head I am thinking okay well if you're price shopping then you're coming to the wrong guy.

In quick effort to save my ass and hope he returns, although $80.00 wash and waxes don't even put a divot in my monthly sales, I just wanted him to be happy. I said "well sir if you would have let me explain to you, I was going to charge you $50.00 for the VW giving that it's a smaller vehicle and you brought me another vehicle last week." He said just tell her (his wife) how much to write the check for, then stampeded back to his vehicle and sat in there while his wife took care of the funds. Was I wrong here?

I am quickly learning the power of "no"....