autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What are your rates for your services? mobile or shop?

Quote Originally Posted by sweatthedetails View Post
    Spray wax wash incl. cleaning and dressing wheels, with vac and interior wipe $60. This takes me about 1.5-2 hours and is almost always done mobile
    AIO is my silver package and includes clay bar $100, $20 up charge for mobile and for oversize vehicle (anything I need a step stool to reach the roof). takes about 3 hours
    2-step polish is my gold exterior package. $150 and it takes about 4-5. I don't usually do this mobile because I like to control the shade and take breaks in the FL sun.
    I do offer a 3-step for some but I don't advertise it. I usually suggest the horizontal surfaces get compounded on darker vehicles that need some extra. I will generally charge an additional $50 for this or $100 more for the whole vehicle making it $250.
    I always charge atleast $20 more for mobile work and always tell the customer I can do more for less if they drop it off. When mobile I work out of a MazdaSpeed3 and mostly use ONR.
    Have you considered raising your prices? I'm actually considering moving to Jax and starting up my business there again, but you are working for about $30/hr, not even counting material usage, fuel costs, paying taxes. As an employee, $30/hr sounds good. For a business owner and in a skilled automotive field, that's chump change that cheapens the value of the work. That's about what I charge my closest friends. For actual business, you need to separate yourself from the wooden sign detailers on the side of the road. If you do a good job, you will find people that know what a good detail is worth, and you'll get to detail the cars you want, not the 1989 LeBaron with the clear coat peeling off that the owner wants miracles happening for $100.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Real Riders View Post
    Just because someone charges a really high rate doesn't mean they do a better job than the person who charges a lower, more reasonable rate.
    Lower doesn't always mean reasonable. There are industry standards that tend to exist. Not only is undercharging cutting out of your own profits, but it hurts the industry. Why wouldn't you want to make more money for your hard work, and it's exactly that, hard work. I don't mean to be condescending at all, and I'm actually trying to help out when I say someone should charge more. A lot of under charging is probably due to just not knowing what they can charge, hence this thread. If you are used to making $10-15 an hour working for someone else, $30/hr sounds like making a killing. But $50-$100 is even better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SKorch630 View Post
    Here's the biggest issue. Other people telling you what your prices should be is a reflection of their work. If you charge $500 an hour, and can justify WHY, so be it. There will be clients within your reach that will understand why your services are the price they are. Vise-versa. If your services are $40 for an entire interior/exterior clean, chances are, it'll show. You have to be the one to set your prices because YOU know your abilities and skill level. Figure out the demographic that you're after, and work from there.

There's a lot of hillbillies around here, that drive beat up, rusted out, old school trucks. I know already that I do not want to cater to those people simply based on the fact that they can't maintain that vehicle, so why waste my time on another one of theirs? Instead, I look for the guy who's driving the Mercedes, or the Porsche, because I know that he's going to actually maintain that vehicle. Maintaining that vehicle means coming to me more often. I'm not going to rape the guy on my service prices, but he's going to know that by paying "$x" he's going to get exactly what I tell him, and then some.

Figure out your demographic
    Analyze the market
    Pinpoint a certain target audience
    Figure out time spent + cost of product + labor rate <<< This will help you find your advertising price.

Time is the biggest factor here. People don't want to spend the 4-10 hours we do on vehicles. They just don't have the time for it, so they hire someone to do it. They're trading money for time. Vise-Versa. We're trading time for money. Eventually, you'll get into the swing, get things rolling, #### will start clicking, and you'll be good to go. Go with what YOU feel is sufficient for your level of work.
    I don't think you can always justify why you charge more than someone else. There is only so good you can clay bar a car. There is only so good you can get swirl marks out. If someone does a complete proper clay bar, and charge $30/hr doing it, there is NO justification for charging $100/hr in the customer's eyes. It doesn't matter what your overhead is. The customers don't care. The same exact results for 1/3 of the cost is all they see.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AuroraDetailing View Post
    I don't think you can always justify why you charge more than someone else. There is only so good you can clay bar a car. There is only so good you can get swirl marks out. If someone does a complete proper clay bar, and charge $30/hr doing it, there is NO justification for charging $100/hr in the customer's eyes. It doesn't matter what your overhead is. The customers don't care. The same exact results for 1/3 of the cost is all they see.
    Nonsense, why does Starbucks charge $3.25 for a $.99 cent cup of coffee? Perceived value. Your value to your clients is what they perceive it to be, even if the difference between you and your competitor is less than 1%.
    Visual Pro Detailing - Auto Detailing near Marion, IL. Call
    (618) 983-9706 www.visualprodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

You are mistaking product for service. You can value product whatever you want because it's different, has different qualities, different tastes. It's completely subjective. Being able to make a painted surface smooth and taking out swirl marks is objective. It either is or isn't, with a few levels in between. But 100% swirl mark removal is 100% swirl mark removal. They don't have different flavors to be judged on, nobody cares which product you used to remove them, they just want them removed. There is no value in paying more for the same objective result.

Once you get above the basic paint correction stuff, of course the value can start changing there, based on the steps required and skill level required, but still priced largely based on the time involved, and to some degree cost of the products.

What I'm getting at is the price of the physical labor shouldnt be too cheap. Competition is fine, but it doesn't help anyone in the business by making people in the area think these services should be half of what they should be.

Post Thanks / Like

I am purely home based, part time, only detail cars on weekends and some evenings.

My pricing is in between other detailers in my area. I am not the highest or lowest, I priced myself somewhere in the middle. I can't justify spending 8 hours on a car and only making a $10 an hour profit especially in the Georgia heat lol.

1. All in one package - Starting $275 for small cars and goes up slightly for larger vehicles - 5-6 hour job - includes 2 step decontamination process
    2. Single stage paint correction - Starting at $550 - 8- 12 hours
    3. Multi stage paint correction - starting at $850 - 12 + hours depending on paint

Definitely agree you should charge what you think your services are worth. I think if you can do a great job of explaining your process and services to potential clients and they like you they will go with you even if your prices are slightly higher than someone else's in the same area. At the end of the day you are not just selling your services/ products, you are selling yourself as well (Cliched but true).
    Raydiant Reflections Auto Detailing
    Website
    Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

I guess to answer the original question, I plan on shooting for at least $50/hr mark profit in the Jacksonville, FL area, which I think to be pretty low, but it seems to be on par with the area when it comes to total service prices. I don't charge by the hour, but just keep it in my head that I want to make at least $50/hr for whatever I do. Sometimes it's more.

I managed my buddy's mobile detailing business in Oahu, running his rig with another guy. We generally stuck with full service details, which were waterless wash, clay bar, polish, wax, exterior trim and tires dressed, full interior panel cleaning, windows, door jams, shampooing carpet and floor mats, leather seat cleaning and full interior dressing. They started at $250 for a two door car and up to $375 for large trucks. $75 was an additional charge for sealant. We used to do marketing when we didn't have any scheduled customers, but eventually we didn't have any time because we stayed booked two to three weeks out. It would take two of us 3-3.5 hours on average for a full detail, and we did three a day. I would say it averaged to be $700-900 a day in revenue for the business. My buddy was giving us $15/hr so spending $300-400 a day in payroll, and bringing in $300-500 a day in profits all while he was active duty Navy hanging out in the maintenance office at work.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VP Mark View Post
    Nonsense, why does Starbucks charge $3.25 for a $.99 cent cup of coffee? Perceived value. Your value to your clients is what they perceive it to be, even if the difference between you and your competitor is less than 1%.

THISSSSS. VALUE is what drives business. What VALUE are you bringing to your clients? You know why people charge $1500, $2000, or even more for a paint correction? Because they're the BEST at it. THEY BRING VALUE TO THEIR CLIENTS. That's what running a successful business is about. What is it that your bring to the table? We can sit here and bicker, back and forth, about what he should charge, but the honest answer is this: Charge what YOU feel is comfortable, and what your skill set allows.

Quote Originally Posted by AuroraDetailing View Post
    100% swirl mark removal is 100% swirl mark removal. They don't have different flavors to be judged on, nobody cares which product you used to remove them, they just want them removed. There is no value in paying more for the same objective result.
    This is false. People pay for the experience, the customer service, and the overall service. Johnny's tire shop is filled with assholes who do nothing but yell at clients when they walk in the door. "Yeah, what do you need?" "I need a new tire on this wheel. It's got a hole in it." "$100 + disposal fee. Sit down, and I'll tell you when it's finished." VS. Willy's tire shop that is filled with people who care about their clients, express gratitude, and are genuinely there to provide the service they're so good at. "Hi Sir, welcome to Willy's tire shop. How can we be of service to you today?" "I need a new tire on this wheel. It's got a hole in it." "NOT a problem sir, have you tried X, Y, or Z yet? Here, let me go take a look at it, and see if we can just patch that for you instead of replacing the tire. It'll be much cheaper, and will be perfectly fine for the remainder of the tires life. If that's the case, don't worry about it, it's on us. We'll take care of it for you. Thank you for stopping in." See the difference here? They both provided the same service, perhaps the same product, but 1 got the job done, and the other didn't. It came down to client experience, and customer service. You know what's going to happen now? Willy's tire shop is going to be promoted because they just fixed Susie's tire FREE OF CHARGE! AND! They were excited to do it for her. Johnny's is going to be put on blast because they were assholes, and didn't provide a dang thing.

There's ALWAYS a reason to pay more for the same product. It just has to be justified. Competition is healthy. Don't let that fool you. Competition shows you whether or not you can make it in the industry. If you're getting blown away by your competition, that's a wake up call. You need to figure out why they're so successful, figure out what they're doing, and you're not, and fix your issues. That's how you improve. Go listen to Andy Frisella over @ THEMFCEO Podcast. He's one of the BEST business coaches you can find. Shawn Thomas over @ Askamillionaire is too. Both of these guys have gone from nothing, to multi million dollar companies. AND they both provide FREE advice and business tips on literally every social media platform.

Post Thanks / Like

People keep saying "product". There is no charging by the hour for product. I'm talking about the "service" portion. Like what would you charge per hour for swinging your arm back and forth for an hour. Ability doesn't mean anything to a brand new customer that knows nothing about you. Quality of customer service is free. It costs a business absolutely nothing to be polite, maintain good communication, a being honest. So a business charging $30/hr can match the customer service quality of any business charging $100/hr at no additional cost. But I'm not talking about the high end services of detailing. What you are taking about certainly applies to that. I'm talking about going below half of the industry standards. It can and will de-value the service in an area.

Post Thanks / Like

Jacksonville is a tough market. You can't throw a rock with out hitting a detailer. I have a neighbor 2 houses down that does it also. I live on the Westside and that is a lower income area. The closer you get to the beaches, the more you can charge. I did raise my prices by about 30% when I moved here from Detroit a couple years ago. It's all depended on your market. Believe me if I could get business charging $100 dollars an hour I would. But this really is my hobby and not my main source of income so I'm honestly not trying to squeeze every last cent out of my clients. I often talk people out of my more expensive packages when I feel they just don't need them.

www.JaxDetails.com
    www.facebook.com/DentsAndDetails
    I may be slow, but I do poor work.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast