autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coating Prices

Post Thanks / Like

Coating Prices

I already tried to research some local and even state wide detailers to see what they were charging for coating jobs (paint, trim, wheels, etc.). What I found is a lot of detailers don't list their price for this service online. I'm guessing due to not wanting to scare potential customers off or not allow their competitors to undercut their price. I'm just wanting to know if what I am charging is reasonable to you guys. I have no pro coatings, but I do use high quality products. I use 22ple VX Pro2 on paint, 22ple VM1 or Gtechniq C4 on wheels/metal, and 22ple VR1 or CarPro DLUX on trim. I also use high quality microfiber and suede cloths for application.

My prices are listed below and this is JUST for the specific coating service (prep work, coating itself and application, and time). Obviously a paint correction service would be performed before any paint coating is applied and at least a thorough wash before any trim or wheel coating is applied which would be extra cost.

PAINT COATING
    Small/midsized car or truck - $125
    Large SUV or truck - $160

WHEEL COATING
    Wheel face/lip ONLY - $40 for all 4
    FULL wheel (including barrels) - $80 for all 4 (yes I remove them from vehicle)

TRIM COATING
    Very dependant on the amount of trim on a vehicle, but I generally charge $25-$50

I know a lot of professional shops are getting $900+ for coating jobs (including the paint correction), but most are using the Pro only coatings and have a reputation to uphold. I'm running a small business out of my home and generally charge $350 - $450 for a paint coating WITH multiple steps of paint correction on a midsized car. I'm just wanting to make sure you guys, who know the industry standard, feel my prices are fair. I don't want to gouge customers and I want my prices to be competitive, but at the same time I don't want to leave a lot of profit on the table. I often have 12+ hours into these coating jobs.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coating Prices

Remember to take into account the lost business you will have after coating. People you see often will no longer call. I think that is one of the reasons prices for Coatings are so high. You need to make a lot of money on installation cause your not gonna see those people afterwards.

Post Thanks / Like

Good point on something I didn't take into consideration. I do offer a "coating maintenance wash" where I chemically decontaminate the vehicle and apply a coating "booster", but this service only brings them back once every 8-12 months. It's also under $100 even for a large vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like

I got a quote of $600 to polish and $800 for cquarts finest on a Expedition EL. I bought gloss coat, and a couple extra pads and did it myself.

I would have never brought it back for them to wash it afterwards if they would have coated it. I just really didn't want to polish that beast out myself as it was full of water spots. I'm sure the truck would have came out alot nicer if they would have done it, but I couldn't pay that much.

Post Thanks / Like

146 views and only 3 replies. I'm not trying to ask what you professionals are getting for coatings. Just some input on my pricing.

Post Thanks / Like

What part of the country are you? You charge what the market will bear. If you get so busy you can't handle all the business--raise your price.
    (If you are close to me, I'll pay you to do mine--what a deal!)

Post Thanks / Like

I charge 395 for one coat of Kamakaze Myabi, 575 for Gyeon MOHs Plus, 795 for Kamakaze Myabi and ISM . All for cars including correction exterior only not touching the interior. Add 100 for interior coatings. That is about max for my area. My shop is at our house so not a huge overhead.

Post Thanks / Like

IMO if your going to offer a paint coating or wheel coating, it should include the cost of cleaning.

Are you going to say to a customer that a wheel coating is 40 bucks, but I would have to charge you extra for cleaning them first.
    Same goes for a paint coating.

What are you charging for a 2 step correction prior to coating?

Post Thanks / Like

Forgot, booked 6 days a week, 95% coatings and 6 months out. We used to be booked a year and a half out until coatings came along!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jowillie View Post
    What part of the country are you? You charge what the market will bear. If you get so busy you can't handle all the business--raise your price.
    (If you are close to me, I'll pay you to do mine--what a deal!)

I actually might be...haha. I live in the Triad, NC.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast