autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Up selling tricks

When someone comes in for a quote or asks about detailing in general, I'll be sure to drop some helpful info. I keep it casual. I'll discuss what I can do and perhaps point out their hazy headlights or a few blemishes. All of them are multiple vehicle owners, so something I say may spark interest for another vehicle or for someone they know.

Post Thanks / Like

I am not in busines but notice naturally that people are more inclined to buy things when they feel welcomed or have someone take care of their issues. Ie lets say their paint is bad and they come in for a wash and wax. Maybe they dont understand the process as well as others and if you were to explain it to them, they might start tacking on add ons to what they purchase so they would get a separate clay treatment and a more durable sealant. They have a peace of mind feeling that something is going to be better for their issues in the long run
    Bill 1234
    2004 audi a6 quattro (traded).
    2015 Ford Escape 2.0l ecoboost 4WD

Post Thanks / Like

If customer stops by for a detail, ill ask them what bothers them or what their main conerns are. I do what they ask and if they are a bit unsure because they are not familiar with all the services ill explain what I can offer. But I dont push services on customers because ive learned people dont like things pushed upon them. One big advantage I have in getting customers to do full paint corrections or coatings is for them to see if for themselves. I work in a busy shop, people stop by all day to get washes. Ill be in the back correcting a car with my lights all set up and the machines going. They have the walk past me to the waiting room. Most people stop and watch, ask what I'm doing. Ill chat for a minute or two and explain. Theyll ask "does my car need that too", well take a look and then the jobs booked. Ive been doing corrections everyday for months on end and booked out for a while.

Post Thanks / Like

I carry a styrofoam cut-out of a .357 Magnum and carry it in the waistline. When I offer an additional service, at the same time, I'll motion to my waistline. Usually, I get the sale.
    "I've seen a good quality car wash look better than some guys complete detail jobs."
    Mike Phillips 10/21/09

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by expdetailing View Post
    I carry a styrofoam cut-out of a .357 Magnum and carry it in the waistline. When I offer an additional service, at the same time, I'll motion to my waistline. Usually, I get the sale.
    Carrying a mock-up of a .357...
    in Cuyahoga County...in Ohio?
    Territory of the Cleveland Crime Family?

Yeah...that'll probably work!

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, guy's gotta do what a guy's gotta do, know what I mean? Another trick is to line all the streets that lead to my shop with nails. That way, when they get to my shop, they also see I'm sellin' tires...he he...
    "I've seen a good quality car wash look better than some guys complete detail jobs."
    Mike Phillips 10/21/09

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by expdetailing View Post
    In Florida we carry the real thing LOL.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

I always ask for the upsell. Why would you not? You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. I've never buffed out a bumper to get an upsell, but I will clay a section of their hood and share with them the importance of claying their car after winter, after spring, after summer, after fall. Whatever time it is during the year, I will share with them the importance of claying their car to preserve and maintain their paint. If they know what claying is, I go straight to the price and I give them a "today" deal. This usually means I throw in the wash for free and just charge for the clay+wax. If they don't know what claying is. I make it a HUGE deal. "OMG you HAVE to see and feel this!" So I wipe down a section of their hood, which is usually the grittiest. And I ask them to feel it after a wash. Then I'll clay that section right in front of them and have them FEEL the difference.

I think it boils down to 1 thing, you have to get your customers physically engaged and show a sample of what it looks and feels like. If they can see a difference, they will buy. If they can feel a difference, they will buy. If they care about their car and you give them a good/fair deal, they will buy. And while I am writing this response, I just had an idea. What if you could bring a small panel with you with a 50/50 of a polished vs swirled side. Or maybe even a professionally printed photo of a 50/50. Then bring them to an angle to show them their swirls and how you could remove that. Finally, give them your "today" deal. I just might go make a professional album of before an afters. You could literally do this for anything. See some carpet stains? Ask them if they've ever considered getting those removed. See foggy headlights, you get the point. Just ask for it. Hope this helps! This helped me unexpectedly!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willy Wang View Post
    I always ask for the upsell. Why would you not? You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. I've never buffed out a bumper to get an upsell, but I will clay a section of their hood and share with them the importance of claying their car after winter, after spring, after summer, after fall. Whatever time it is during the year, I will share with them the importance of claying their car to preserve and maintain their paint. If they know what claying is, I go straight to the price and I give them a "today" deal. This usually means I throw in the wash for free and just charge for the clay+wax. If they don't know what claying is. I make it a HUGE deal. "OMG you HAVE to see and feel this!" So I wipe down a section of their hood, which is usually the grittiest. And I ask them to feel it after a wash. Then I'll clay that section right in front of them and have them FEEL the difference.

I think it boils down to 1 thing, you have to get your customers physically engaged and show a sample of what it looks and feels like. If they can see a difference, they will buy. If they can feel a difference, they will buy. If they care about their car and you give them a good/fair deal, they will buy. And while I am writing this response, I just had an idea. What if you could bring a small panel with you with a 50/50 of a polished vs swirled side. Or maybe even a professionally printed photo of a 50/50. Then bring them to an angle to show them their swirls and how you could remove that. Finally, give them your "today" deal. I just might go make a professional album of before an afters. You could literally do this for anything. See some carpet stains? Ask them if they've ever considered getting those removed. See foggy headlights, you get the point. Just ask for it. Hope this helps! This helped me unexpectedly!
    Nicely said.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willy Wang View Post

I agree completely and to piggyback on your 50/50 shot i plan in doing my whole car as a 50/50 example. One side just wash and wax the other fully corrected , polished and waxed.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast