autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jeweling Wax - Definition

Mike. What pad and setting did you use with the PC when applying the jeweling wax? Great discussion!
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by silverfox View Post

Mike. What pad and setting did you use with the PC when applying the jeweling wax? Great discussion!

For the 1940 Ford Coupe the guys started out at the 6 setting for the first few passes and then reduced down to the 4-5 setting. Fast speed to start out cutting and slower setting to finish because,

Polishing paint is an art form not a grinding process

(you can quote me on that)

With the Flex 3401 we used the 2-4 speed setting since it's forced oscillation and forced rotation.

Here's the dealio though...

After compounding with the McKee's Fast Compound the paint looked perfect.

After polishing with the McKee's Fast Polish the paint looked more perfect.

By the time we machine applied the McKee's Jeweling Wax all we had to do was make a few passes to ensure a perfectly flat, smooth clear surface.

The compound and the polish use great abrasive technology as does the jeweling wax thus each step continually moves the results forward in the process - never backwards.

I practice in my life and teach in my classes to always work forward in the process, never backwards.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, can you please give us a list of jeweling waxes , or is Mcgee the only one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Larry A View Post
    Mike, can you please give us a list of jeweling waxes , or is Mcgee the only one.
    I think he will say McKee's is the only one, simply because it's the only one that uses those words in the name.

Now is it the only one that performs the unique task that it claims?
    That's for us to argue about

Super Member Joe@NextLevelDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by craigdt View Post
    I think he will say McKee's is the only one, simply because it's the only one that uses those words in the name.

Now is it the only one that performs the unique task that it claims?
    That's for us to argue about
    What is jeweling ?

Jeweling is supposed to be a ultra fine mild abrasive to be used with a ultra soft pad, meant for wax,glaze or sealant.

Like menzerna 3800 (formerly known as sf4500)

If you think about the all in one's on the market.

HD Speed
    Menzerna 3 in 1
    Meguiars paint recon cream
    Griots garage finishing sealant

Those can all take out 3,000 grit sanding marks. With the right pad.

HD Speed is HD polish with 25 percent HD poxy.

Menzerna 3 in 1 is pf2500 with wax protection.

Finishing sealant is perfecting cream with wax protection.

Those arent really "jeweling" polishes, can you jewel with them AND Get Good results sure.

but the point of jeweling is to squeeze the most shine as possible, so wouldn't it make sense to use a finer polish then the one you used in the second step ?

(In example) use menzerna sf3500 with a white pad, then menzerna 3800 with a Blue pad

My point is , McKee's 37 line gets finer and finer in abrasive technology.

Fast compound (most abrasive)
    Fast polish (medium abrasive)
    Jeweling wax (ultra fine abrasive)

So if this makes sense, your telling Me that Bob McKee designed jeweling wax to be the same as fast polish with wax protection behind ???????

Jeweling wax was made for the McKee's "system" it can be used as a all in one, however it was meant to compliment the whole line.

Fast polish , and jeweling wax do not carry the same abrasive.

Jeweling wax has a ultra fine abrasive, with a wax protection.

Menzerna 3 in 1, HD speed, and the others are more abrasive then jeweling wax.

IT IS THE THIRD STEP IN THIS SYSTEM.

not the second Bob McKee wouldn't make 2 products that are the same!

Fast polish, is on par with, HD polish, sf3500, griots perfecting creams, etc

The results speak for them selfs. And I only support quality products

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ad.php?t=99381

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

AutoGlym Super Resin Polish(SRP) is an AIO, has been classified for decades as one. However the fact that it contains super fine abrasives to polish and clean and leaves protection behind in one go, it can now be classified as a "Jeweling Wax". Meguiars A1216 to an extent is a Jeweling wax too.

All this fuss over AIO's....A rose by any other name would still smell as sweet.

Post Thanks / Like

Jeweling Wax - Definition

Id argue that a jeweling Polish or wax or whatever used as an "effective" AIO is a stretch. Maybe it's great as a third step or second step, but I want to see it used as the ONLY product used and then pass judgement. So far I've only read threads where it's used as a second or third step after the paint is already near perfect. If there are threads where it's tested as an AIO only, post the links.
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by silverfox View Post

Id argue that a jeweling Polish or wax or whatever used as an "effective" AIO is a stretch.

Maybe it's great as a third step or second step, but I want to see it used as the ONLY product used and then pass judgement.

I think you're missing the point of the term jewelling.

There are already cleaner/waxes on the market that offer aggressive cleaning or aggressive abrading or aggressive correction, (pick the term you like best).

Because they are strong on the abrading side it makes them in-effective or less effective at the jewelling side. They are too far extreme on the scale between lots of cut and zero cut.

In other words...

It's NOT supposed to offer great correction ability. There are already products that do that.

Everything is actually explained in detail in the first post on the first page.

First page and first post

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Larry A View Post

Mike, can you please give us a list of jeweling waxes , or is McKee's 37 the only one.

I haven't taken the time to give this much thought....

From memory, most LIGHT to VERY LIGHT cleaner/waxes that I've used don't buff like the McKee's 37. They are two focused on correction not polishing.

From memory I'd say the 3D Speed might fall into this category. From memory it has a long buffing cycle and does a great job of maximizing gloss and clarity of the paint.

I'd like to re-visit CarPro Essence, it might fall into this category.

One of the reasons I think there needed to be this new category is because most cleaner/waxes are best at cleaning or abrading neglected paint. And that's great as that's what we want out of them.

The McKee's 37 product excels at polishing and perfecting, not cleaning or abrading, so it works different than most cleaner/waxes that's why I didn't think it was fair to lump it together with all the cleaner/waxes on the market.

Remember MOST the waxes and sealants you'll find at the retail level of any auto parts store are cleaner/waxes and I think I do a really good job of explaining why in this article,

The Difference Between a Cleaner/Wax and a Finishing Wax
    Subtitle: How To Choose The Right Wax or Paint Sealant for your Detailing Project

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

When you go to your local auto parts stores, most of the retail waxes on the shelves do in fact fall into the cleaner/wax category as they are targeted at the average person.

The average person is driving what we call a Daily Driver, that is the car they drive back and forth to work each day and most of the time it’s parked outside.

Over time, the finish quality deteriorates and in order to restore it with just a single product you’ll want a cleaner/wax.

As I get time I'll post my "opinion" as to which products I think would fall into the category of a jeweling wax for whatever that' worth.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if a wax needs abrasives to be considered a jewelling wax.

Or else, without the small amount of fine abrasives, would be a LSP?

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast