autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mike Phillips

How to remove scratches out of a leather dashboard?

How to remove scratches out of a leather dashboard?

Here's an email I received sharing a mistake a window tint installer made to their customer's car.

Quote Originally Posted by Don

Dear Mike,

Good day!

I hope you are doing well. I need your help. I just purchased a new car and had the glass tinted. Unfortunately, the guys who installed the tint was careless. I have scratches on my leather dashboard. I would like to know if you have a product that can bring back the dashboard to its original leather condition. Or any suggestion how I can fix it?

Hope to hear a positive reply from you.

Appreciate your help,

Don

Hi Don,

First, here's the picture you sent me via e-mail for our forum members to see in case anyone has a solution for the problem.

Second, I'm sorry to say I don't have good news for you.

In order to actually remove a scratch or scratches, you don't actually remove the scratch, or scratches, you remove the material surrounding the scratches in an effort to level or flatten out the surface.

When it comes to a leather dash, there's no way I know of to abrade the leather surface in an effort to level it while at the same time having the results look good or original. I wrote an article to try to explain this back in 2005 on MeguiarsOnline.com and after getting your e-mail about this problem this morning I decided to re-write and update that article here on AutogeekOnline.net

Here's the link to the article,

What it means to remove a scratch out of anything...

I would also add this.... my passion is for polishing paint, that's because it's the quality of the paint finish that makes or breaks how a car looks. No one ever opens the door of the car, lifts of up the floor mats and says,

"Wow Jim! you have great looking carpet"

That just doesn't happen. It's the paint and how well or how incorrectly it's polished that gets everyone excited in my world. So I'm NOT a leather expert. That said, it is possible that there are ways to VISUALLY FIX this problem by some Leather GURU.

The challenge for you will be to find this guru.

Here in Florida there is a guy with a business where he repairs leather. His business name is "The Leather Doctor". At least I think that's his business name. If you don't live in South Florida this won't help you BUT there may be professionals like him in your area. You'll have to do the research to find out. I would recommend joining this forum and starting a thread stating where you live, what the issue is and then ask if anyone knows of anyone in your area that can help. Our forum is powerful at helping for issues like this.

Also, perhaps someone on this forum has a remedy and will chime in and share the fix to this issue.

One last thing... while not a fix, simply applying a quality leather conditioner or protectant or both would help to improve the appearance but probably not fix the visual distraction 100%.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to remove scratches out of a leather dashboard?

If this was an exterior paint problem, the fix would be so simple and straight forward to repair.

Actually your dash can be repaired beautifully but it will require someone who understands the intricacies of what they are dealing with.

Based on the picture, the abrasions don't appear to be deep into the dash, so that's good. Your 2 primary concerns for a great repair will be maintaining the original texture pattern and exact color of the dash.

If you are confident in trying it yourself, here are the procedures:

a) Clean dash completely of all dressing, stains etc..
    b) EXTREMELY! EXTREMELY! Lite feather sanding of affected to remove any frayed material (constantly inspect your work as you go to ensure the grain is not disturbed)
    c) Clean dash again using 50/50 alcohol and water mixture
    d) Apply several coats of matching color to dash using non linting paper towels and blow drying between coats
    e) Top with mat sealer in the same manner and you are good to go

Check local leather repair companies, online leather repair supply vendors and also call local dealers and ask who they use for their repairs.

Not sure what area you're in, but If you happen to near Ft. Lauderdale, call Godfrey's Detailing at 954 934 6243..

Leather restoration and repair is one of our most excellent services we provide!

All the best in your search!

Mike Phillips

Re: How to remove scratches out of a leather dashboard?

Thanks Godfrey!

I appreciate your taking the time to chime in and share your process for leather repair.

I sent the link to this thread to the guy that e-mailed me about the problem. The ball is in his court now.

You da man!