autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Tornador Black Engine Detailing - Review & How To

8/29/2016 - Detailer's Pro Series, or "DP" for short, is now McKee's 37.

I have to get something off my chest...up until two weekends ago, I had not detailed my engine since posting this article over 15 months ago:

Civic Si Engine Detail w/1Z Einszett Vinyl Rubber Care

You would think that I'd have the cleanest engine bay at Autogeek (that title actually goes to Bryan) with all the engine detailing how-to guides under my belt. Nope, not the case. Until now, engine detailing has been one of my least favorite aspects of car care. That's until I got an air compressor.

A couple weeks ago I picked up a 33 gallon Husky air compressor from Home Depot. It was a killer deal that I couldn't pass up. The first thing that came to mind was "Tornador." I've been using the Tornador BLACK here at AG headquarters for years now, but it's the one tool I've never been able to take home.

Just in case you've been living under a rock and haven't heard of the Tornador BLACK:

The Tornador Car Cleaning Gun is the easiest way to clean all automotive surfaces. The Tornador works with your air compressor to blast cleaning solution into crevices you can’t reach by hand. Clean carpet, plastics, and upholstery inside the car. Clean wheels, convertible tops, and body seams on the exterior. The Tornador Car Cleaning Gun cleans where other tools can’t!

The patented Tornador Car Cleaning Gun tackles your most challenging detailing jobs with ease. The cone-shaped nozzle and oscillating tip create a tornado cleaning action that cleans hard and soft surfaces like nothing you’ve seen before. Dirt and grime are immediately released from fabrics, carpet, and solid surfaces.

The Tornador also works GREAT for cleaning engines when you equip it with the Cone with Brush. In order to use the Tornador BLACK, you need a high-quality all purpose cleaner. The obvious choice for this engine detail was DP Hi-Intensity APC Plus.

This is what the engine bay looked like in my Civic Si prior to cleaning:

15 months and 25,000 miles worth of dirt, grime and grease

Using the Tornador Black is simple

All you need is an air compressor that can produce 4.5 cfm at 90 psi. My Husky is a 33 gallon and it produces 5 cfm at 90 psi. If you have a pancake air compressor, it's not going to cut it. It's worth noting that my air compressor didn't turn on once the entire time I was using the Tornador BLACK.

Make sure you have an inline regulator or better yet, do yourself a favor and buy an air compressor with one built in. That way you can adjust the psi so you don't cause damage to the tool.

DP Hi-Intensity APC Plus is a concentrated cleaner, so I only added about 5 ounces to the container and filled the rest up with water. After that I was ready to go.

Simply pull the trigger and watch dirt and grime melt away. Wipe clean with an old dingy towel that you don't plan on using again.

The brush attachment works great for cleaning stubborn areas:

Once the entire engine was cleaned, I dressed it with DP Trim Detailer. This aerosol spray quickly coats trim and tires to provide a low gloss, new-rubber finish.

About 15 minutes later, the engine bay in my Civic Si looked better than new. I didn't even have to break a sweat!

This is without a doubt my new favorite method for detailing an engine bay. For the engine that hasn't been cleaned in 10 plus years, nothing beats using a degreaser and a free flowing source of water. For more information about that type of engine detailing check out this guide: How To: Detail Your Engine Like a Professional

If you have an air compressor but haven't purchased a Tornador BLACK yet, you don't know what you're missing out on. Pick up this combo - it includes the essentials for getting started: Tornador Black Professional Starter Kit

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tornador Black Engine Detailing - Review & How To

Nice write-up Nick!

I've been wanting to get a Tornador Black for a while but unfortunately I don't have room for a compressor that size .

Post Thanks / Like

Looks brand new, Nick! Nice work. Makes me want to buy a Tornado BLACK too. Must resist...

Post Thanks / Like

Great write-up as always Nick! Thanks for taking time to do it.

Honestly, your engine bay doesn't look bad for having driven 25k mi already. I'm sure you've been wiping them down in your sleep...

So you don't have to rinse off the DP APC? Just wipe it off? Doesn't it leave any residue behind? Is it safe on the paint if it does get left behind?
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah buddy!!! Race car right there great job sir!
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto Detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection

Post Thanks / Like

Great review Nick. Always enjoy reading your posts and reviews of products and equipment.

Post Thanks / Like

Looking good Nick!

Post Thanks / Like

It certainly isn't ideal but this little guy runs a toronador black easily. I just don't get a prolonged flow for more than 90 seconds without the compressor having to refill. But the Toronador works so well and fast that almost never do I have to wait for a refill of air. Here's a picture. Much more portable than one of those monster 30 gallon units.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tornador Black Engine Detailing - Review & How To-image-jpg  

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by medicscott View Post
    It certainly isn't ideal but this little guy runs a toronador black easily. I just don't get a prolonged flow for more than 90 seconds without the compressor having to refill. But the Toronador works so well and fast that almost never do I have to wait for a refill of air. Here's a picture. Much more portable than one of those monster 30 gallon units.
    What are the specs on it? This might help others (like Frank). Thanks for sharing.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

When using the tornador black did you have to cover up any areas or avoid spraying any areas? or is it safe to spray with the tornador? Thanks in advance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast