autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: SEMI transport truck pointers

I mean I am not one to walk away from a challenge as I love detailing and I love to work. And i really wanna learn to do these. Now you said this3D International Deep Blue Metal Polish is the way to go if its the traditional panel pieces with the thinner paint. But you did say in another post based on the photos that it looks gel coated, which of course can take a lot of cutting. What can a detailer like me can realistically ask for a job like this as I am sure this will take me close to 4-5 days to complete?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

or is this3D International Deep Blue Metal Polish to be used only on the metal?

Post Thanks / Like

first check if the smoothedness of the paint is chalky or rough n if you see no reflection at all then its heavily oxidixe now you got to ask yourself is it worth are you gonna make money out of all this after all your expenses on this project

Post Thanks / Like

if you say no !! then go negociate with your client or forget it, if you say yes then youll need alot of chemicals if you have a polisher with a wool pad and different speeds thats good!! youll be doing everything the same as in a car only thing its alot more ass in that car!!DEPending how oxidize it is youll have to make the decision of cutting !!try doing it in a little spot if you see results then thats wats up!!i

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by envious2014 View Post
    wow , I am really impressed you really seem to know your stuff. The fact that this is so bad and neglected and how much there is to know, Im a little intimidated lol. I almost am fearful i will be biting off my than I can chew in this scenario.
    I've bitten off more than I could feasibly chew many times over until I figured out what to use and how to use it on totally neglected commercial vehicles. It's kind of like paying your dues to get good at it.

How well do you know this client? Tell him you need to do some testing with a few different products and processes before estimating the job, do some test spots and get back to him with an estimate. It really is a big job and if you struggle through the entire thing due to lack of experience, is it really fair to charge him for that lack of experience? You're best off being 100% honest with him up front that you need to find out exactly what you need to do to get the results he wants, and the only way to do that is to do some testing. Then do the math, figure out a ball park amount of time you think it will take you to finish the job, then add a little time to your estimated number to cover unexpected problems that take more time.

It's not easy to throw a number out on a job like this. If you think the bill should be $1500, throw out a number of around $2200 and let him negotiate you down a little if he needs to. Really it depends on what you need to make per day and what he needs to stay within budget wise. It's better to collect the required information in doing the testing, to put out a good accurate estimate and have him pass than it is to throw out a low ball number and get ripped on the job. If you do that you'll be pissed off for doing it and he'll expect to pay a low ball number moving forward.

I mean I am not one to walk away from a challenge as I love detailing and I love to work. And i really wanna learn to do these. Now you said this3D International Deep Blue Metal Polish is the way to go if its the traditional panel pieces with the thinner paint. But you did say in another post based on the photos that it looks gel coated, which of course can take a lot of cutting. What can a detailer like me can realistically ask for a job like this as I am sure this will take me close to 4-5 days to complete?
    What is a good days pay for you? What kind of overhead do you have to cover? What will you need to pay for in materials to get the job done? Add up your expected daily labor, add in for a helper if you'll have one with you, times that by the number of days you think it will take after doing your testing to see what you're actually dealing with, add in the estimated cost of pads and products + shipping. You're not in this to break even so make at least 30% on all your materials, add that in...what's your total?

If it cleans up fairly easy I could see having 25 to 30 hours in making it look real good if you're doing the trailer and the rig. If it's totally oxidized to hell and gel coat you could possibly triple that time.

One thing I know for sure is that you almost always take a whoopin until you get good at this stuff.

or is this3D International Deep Blue Metal Polish to be used only on the metal?
    Works exceedingly well in cleaning up the paint on these commercial vehicles, and of course it'll do a good job on the metal too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by captain detail View Post
    first check if the smoothedness of the paint is chalky or rough n if you see no reflection at all then its heavily oxidixe now you got to ask yourself is it worth are you gonna make money out of all this after all your expenses on this project, if you say no !! then go negociate with your client or forget it, if you say yes then youll need alot of chemicals if you have a polisher with a wool pad and different speeds thats good!! youll be doing everything the same as in a car only thing its alot more ass in that car!!DEPending how oxidize it is youll have to make the decision of cutting !!try doing it in a little spot if you see results then thats wats up!!i

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tuscarora dave View Post
    I've bitten off more than I could feasibly chew many times over until I figured out what to use and how to use it on totally neglected commercial vehicles. It's kind of like paying your dues to get good at it.

How well do you know this client? Tell him you need to do some testing with a few different products and processes before estimating the job, do some test spots and get back to him with an estimate. It really is a big job and if you struggle through the entire thing due to lack of experience, is it really fair to charge him for that lack of experience? You're best off being 100% honest with him up front that you need to find out exactly what you need to do to get the results he wants, and the only way to do that is to do some testing. Then do the math, figure out a ball park amount of time you think it will take you to finish the job, then add a little time to your estimated number to cover unexpected problems that take more time.

It's not easy to throw a number out on a job like this. If you think the bill should be $1500, throw out a number of around $2200 and let him negotiate you down a little if he needs to. Really it depends on what you need to make per day and what he needs to stay within budget wise. It's better to collect the required information in doing the testing, to put out a good accurate estimate and have him pass than it is to throw out a low ball number and get ripped on the job. If you do that you'll be pissed off for doing it and he'll expect to pay a low ball number moving forward.

What is a good days pay for you? What kind of overhead do you have to cover? What will you need to pay for in materials to get the job done? Add up your expected daily labor, add in for a helper if you'll have one with you, times that by the number of days you think it will take after doing your testing to see what you're actually dealing with, add in the estimated cost of pads and products + shipping. You're not in this to break even so make at least 30% on all your materials, add that in...what's your total?

If it cleans up fairly easy I could see having 25 to 30 hours in making it look real good if you're doing the trailer and the rig. If it's totally oxidized to hell and gel coat you could possibly triple that time.

One thing I know for sure is that you almost always take a whoopin until you get good at this stuff.

Works exceedingly well in cleaning up the paint on these commercial vehicles, and of course it'll do a good job on the metal too.

tuscarora dave you summed it up real well , !!

PAYING YOUR DUES IS WHAT YOU ARE DOING !!
    CAUSE ONCE's its done!!

THE KNOWLEDGE IS WORTH more!!!

Post Thanks / Like

tuscarora dave you summed it up real well , !!

PAYING YOUR DUES IS WHAT YOU ARE DOING !!
    CAUSE ONCE's its done!!

THE KNOWLEDGE IS WORTH more!!!
    Heya tuscacora u ever heard of the mk2 the car by chance

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

hey check out this link please. is this the product your talking about?

3D Deep Blue Polish

Post Thanks / Like

Heya tuscacora u ever heard of the mk2 the car by chance
    Hadn't, but I just googled it. looks like a racing VW Gulf. What about it?

hey check out this link please. is this the product your talking about?

3D Deep Blue Polish
    That's the one. Admin might not be too happy about the link being posted here though.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast