autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How To: Clean & Coat Your Tires with DP Tire Coating

Quote Originally Posted by ferret1980 View Post
    just coated

Nice artistic photo. The tires look great. Keep us updated on durability.

Post Thanks / Like

This is magnificent !!!
    I already bought my kit now hope not take to get here in Brazil

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys,

I recently purchased the DP tire coating kit and couldn't wait to try these products. I've been using Pinnacle Black Onyx Tire Gel and love the look 1 coat of that gives but it doesn't last. Thus couldn't wait to try this for the durability.

After following the instructions (including the cleaning process with tire restorer) and inspecting the results, I'm not quite achieving the same level of gloss that I was hoping to get with even 4 coats. The pictures that I've seen in this thread show amazing gloss - maybe not exactly like Black Onyx but still looks great. I'm wondering if I used enough coating for each coat. The how-to here says use ample and the product webpage says extremely thin. I went on the side of extremely thin which ended up being just droplets of the product using a foam block. It spread amazingly thin so I thought I was on the right track and was able to get complete coverage with very little product. But after my 4 coats, the gloss still wasn't up there like the photos here. What do you guys think?

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by draganer View Post
    Hey guys,

I recently purchased the DP tire coating kit and couldn't wait to try these products. I've been using Pinnacle Black Onyx Tire Gel and love the look 1 coat of that gives but it doesn't last. Thus couldn't wait to try this for the durability.

After following the instructions (including the cleaning process with tire restorer) and inspecting the results, I'm not quite achieving the same level of gloss that I was hoping to get with even 4 coats. The pictures that I've seen in this thread show amazing gloss - maybe not exactly like Black Onyx but still looks great. I'm wondering if I used enough coating for each coat. The how-to here says use ample and the product webpage says extremely thin. I went on the side of extremely thin which ended up being just droplets of the product using a foam block. It spread amazingly thin so I thought I was on the right track and was able to get complete coverage with very little product. But after my 4 coats, the gloss still wasn't up there like the photos here. What do you guys think?
    I would recommend applying a liberal amount to achieve a glossy finish.

The website copy says the product applies thin, meaning a small bottle will still yield quite a few applications overall. We'll have this sentence updated to avoid future confusion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by draganer View Post
    Hey guys,

I haven't used my kit either, I'm actually saving it for my tires in the spring, so I'm reading all of this and "soaking it in", pardon the pun

Now when you say drops of the product onto the foam pad it sounds like not enough product is being used. Have you thought about using that provided brush in the kit? I ask because I've never used a brush to apply ANY tire dressing, so I too am curious about all of this.

As far as Pinnacle Black Onyx goes, well, it used to be my favorite as well, the finish it would leave on the tires looks better than ANYTHING I've ever used, stunning results! That said, when applying my current tire coating, Turtle Wax, I was very happy with how the tires came out and I expect the same from the DP kit as well.

No matter how little info passed along in this thread, I for one really appreciate it because this kit is so new and its going to be monthes till I get to use it.

Sent from my SPH-M930 using Tapatalk 2
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nick@Autogeek View Post
    I would recommend applying a liberal amount to achieve a glossy finish.

The website copy says the product applies thin, meaning a small bottle will still yield quite a few applications overall. We'll have this sentence updated to avoid future confusion.
    Thanks Nick. I will try to apply another coat with a liberal amount.

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    I haven't used my kit either, I'm actually saving it for my tires in the spring, so I'm reading all of this and "soaking it in", pardon the pun

Now when you say drops of the product onto the foam pad it sounds like not enough product is being used. Have you thought about using that provided brush in the kit? I ask because I've never used a brush to apply ANY tire dressing, so I too am curious about all of this.

As far as Pinnacle Black Onyx goes, well, it used to be my favorite as well, the finish it would leave on the tires looks better than ANYTHING I've ever used, stunning results! That said, when applying my current tire coating, Turtle Wax, I was very happy with how the tires came out and I expect the same from the DP kit as well.

No matter how little info passed along in this thread, I for one really appreciate it because this kit is so new and its going to be monthes till I get to use it.

Sent from my SPH-M930 using Tapatalk 2
    When I said drops on the foam pad, the amount ends up being around maybe 15 drops total and it was spreading very easily and much further than I anticipated. I would do maybe 5 drops, spread it to a third of the tire, another 5 drops, spread it to the next area of the tire and so forth. But to get that gloss I'm after, I apparently may need a heavier application even though I was applying just enough to lay the thinnest coat possible. I'll let you guys know how it goes when I try that.

I did try the brush (also my first time using a brush applicator) but I found it to be wasting too much product. I tried two methods:

1. Hold the brush upside down or bristles facing up and drop some of the product onto the tip of the bristles. With this method, I found the product to be getting lost deep into the bristles and had to use more than needed just to keep the product on the tip of the bristles.

2. Hold the brush horizontally or bristles facing sideways and drop some of the product onto the side of the bristles. This method was a little better but still not as good as the foam pad for me.

With the tire foam pad block, the product didn't seem to absorb into the foam or get "lost" in it like the brush. It stayed on the face of the foam and allowed me to use less product for more coverage. I can see the brush being handy though for reaching into nooks and crannies where a flat foam pad would be hard to reach into. That's the only place I would use the brush for. But again, I got around that as well by using the edge of the foam pad with a little bit of product and squeezing the foam into those nooks and crannies.

FYI - before using the brush, I recommend ruffling the bristles against something first before using it, like your hands or some other safe surface. I didn't do that and the brush ended up applying a bunch of dust and other bristle particles onto the tire making it look very unattractive. Luckily, that stuff came off after applying more coats with the foam pad.

Post Thanks / Like

It seems DP tire coating holds dirt more than TW, could be going to the bench for the less expensive product. I cleaned my car the other day, including the tires and used QD to wipe the tires clean and square of the mf towel I used was pretty dirty...after one day, really😯

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

It's been 4 days and no driving in the rain and after cleaning the tires today I've decided to switch back to TW tire coating. I'm just spoiled at how much cleaner the tires are with TW tire coating compared to DP tire coating. I should also state the sheen is better with the TW also, the DP still looks good but in an all natural way which is fine, but the TW looks like that after 4-6 wks, not 7-10 days like DP does. I'm sure the coating is still there but I want easier cleaning and more sheen for longer.

I'm not saying DP isn't a good product, it is but for what I'm looking for the TW is a better product and costs waaaaaay less and is available OTC, a win, win and win🏁🏁🏁

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

It seems DP tire coating holds dirt more than TW, could be going to the bench for the less expensive product. I cleaned my car the other day, including the tires and used QD to wipe the tires clean and square of the mf towel I used was pretty dirty...after one day, really😯

I'm guessing it has something to do with the fact that you've had so many products on your tires in the past, and one (or several of them) wasn't completely removed. It's also pollen season, and that affects tires as well.

It's been 4 days and no driving in the rain and after cleaning the tires today I've decided to switch back to TW tire coating. I'm just spoiled at how much cleaner the tires are with TW tire coating compared to DP tire coating. I should also state the sheen is better with the TW also, the DP still looks good but in an all natural way which is fine, but the TW looks like that after 4-6 wks, not 7-10 days like DP does. I'm sure the coating is still there but I want easier cleaning and more sheen for longer.

I'm not saying DP isn't a good product, it is but for what I'm looking for the TW is a better product and costs waaaaaay less and is available OTC, a win, win and win🏁🏁🏁

More shine can be achieved two ways:

1. Apply one HEAVY coat
    2. Apply a second coat (assuming you applied the first coat lightly)

I prefer method 1.

It sounds like you're set on the TW coating, which is great and enforces the fact that selection is indeed a good thing. While of course I would prefer that your product of choice is purchased through Autogeek, we can't win them all!

Post Thanks / Like

These tires are brand new and have only seen the DP tire coating since day #1. I cleaned them good the first day and waited till the 2nd day IIRC to coat them. I noticed Browning from dirt almost right away, since then and many more Bleache-White cleanings, as well as the provided DP tire cleaner, it's gone down but still, 3-4 days and I'm getting dirt on my mf towel still.

I still think it's a good product and knowing DP, they'll improve it further if they get enough feed back, they did it with Polo-coat. I will continue to use it, on my wifes car but I just applied TW to it so its going to be a month or so.

I do hear yah on the products sold here on AG as well but it seems the staff is cool about OTC products like TW and Bleache-White and so much about other internet fanboy brands, no need to mention them here. That said, I for one appreciate the leeway on this, as do others because if you follow the letter of the rules here I could be banned, again and I really don't want that. I just gave the most fair review I could about the product.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast