autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to strip sealant?

As AG advertises, CG Citrus Wash is an "Auto wash and paintwork cleanser in one!" Chemical Guys Citrus Wash Red

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mizzoutiger View Post
    As AG advertises, CG Citrus Wash is an "Auto wash and paintwork cleanser in one!" Chemical Guys Citrus Wash Red
    They also advertise CGs Sticky Wheel Cleaner as pH neutral - which is 100% not true (pH 10+). It's not AG's fault - they are just passing on the misinformation supplied by the manufacturer - CGs. In fact, one could even say CGs lies to sell more products, that in fact they know these advertised statements are not truths....a lot of people have bought Citrus Red because of how it's advertised as a "stripper". Maybe CGs is just clueless - but I doubt it.

Citrus Red won't remove polymer type sealants or hybrids - regardless of what CGs says. CGs puts a lot of misinformation out there - this is just another example of that. It may decrease the lifespan of non hybrid carnauba waxes - but that is about it.

Sorry if this ruffles anyone's feathers - but with all respect it is the truth. Hopefully, the truth is just the truth.

Citrus Red is pH neutral. It has some very light APC like qualities that are easily diluted away once mixed to any significant degree. I believe Citrus Red is just normal surfactants with some NaOH (going by memory here) If you consider something like Auto Finesse Avalance won't strip wax, which is fairly basic and APC like - Citrus Red doesn't stand a chance.

Unfortunately, beading/sheeting is all we have to go by at home that the LSP is gone. There is no "test" that can tell otherwise. I think beading/sheeting is actually pretty reliable, since:

1. A newly LSP'ed panel will bead the best.

2. An LSP (non coating) will bead less after several months

3. A panel with no LSP/polymers on it will bead the least compared to 1 & 2.

This phenomena is reproducible, and the model fits the theory. So, IMHO you don't need to overthink this:

1. Just wash the car and add another layer of sealant (if using the same product as previous)

2. If using another LSP, use a paint cleaner or polish. No need for IPA/Eraser wipedowns if using conventional LSPs.

3. Wax will actually discolor after months and months of being exposed to UV/environment. So, use *something* that goes on a foam pad to strip it after every so many months. Spraying something on a panel and wiping it off is just not a good way to strip LSPs.

4. If using sealants only, after time period X, the car will need a polish/decon - so re-apply sealant at that time. It's OK to "layer"/renew sealant on top of itself in between.

They are the general "rules" most people who get good results will follow.

Post Thanks / Like

if you want to strip it completely, then claying followed with a light compound would be the best way. claying isn't difficult and should always be carried out before applying a new sealant, polish or wax. try to make it part of your routine

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Niblick View Post
    if you want to strip it completely, then claying followed with a light compound would be the best way. claying isn't difficult and should always be carried out before applying a new sealant, polish or wax. try to make it part of your routine
    With all due respect, I sort of disagree. If your only goal is to remove previous LSP - any light polish or paint cleaner will will work. Compounding (light or otherwise) should be reserved for removing noticeable defects polishing can not remove.

A car that is maintained properly should only need to be compounded once in its life - and that when you buy it. If you buy it with light defects - than that number of times should be zero.

If your paint is stupid soft and mars super easy - polish should be all that is required to correct it. Harder paint will require more aggressive polishes - but will also be more defect resistant. Preserving as much clear coat as possible will keep more of the UV inhibitors in the clear coat and will maintain its thickness for as long as possible.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    That's Funny
    Quote Originally Posted by Ncs0816 View Post
    I don't agree. I would rather strip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

2011 Toyota Camry SE - Magnetic Gray Metallic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    In my experience, this will not work

I tried to strip a section to do some touch-up paint. Tried Eraser and IPA (50%). Still had beading.
    Wow! Which sealant was that?

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by expdetailing View Post
    Wow! Which sealant was that?
    Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CDot View Post
    That stuff won't strip it either.

Post Thanks / Like