autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Applying Quick Wax Proceedure?

Hi,

For me, I prefer to apply the quick wax via a clean soft cotton 16 X 16 towel which has been thoroughly rinsed with warm water, wringed out thoroughly and folded into rectangular pad. I spray the pad with one or 2 shots of the quick wax, quickly distribute the product evenly within the area I'm working (usually about 2 square feet) rub in thoroughly then buff out. I prefer to do it this way as opposed to spaying it on directly because for some reason I feel it works it way onto the paint more thoroughly and more importantly more evenly. By the way the results is stunning!

I mentioned this process to a friend of mine who tried it out and liked as well as opposed to spraying directly onto the paint; however he happen to be talking to Mequiars Tech Support last week to ask an unrelated question and this subject came up, interestingly he was told NOT to use that method and he should go back to spraying direct, he gave no reason.

Is this a case of six of one and a half dozen of another, and in the end it's all good, or is it better to spray direct?

Note: in all cases the car was washed thoroughly before applying the quick wax and also the QX used was Mequiars Ultimate (excellent product by the way) !!!

Thank you,
    Ralph

Post Thanks / Like
    Your method sounds alright to me just don't use a cotton towel instead use microfiber, however there will be times where you see applying the product to a pad or direct is easier to work with instead of the opposite though like I'll always say use the method that works best for you while taking the pros advice into consideration

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Applying Quick Wax Proceedure?

With Meg's UQW I'll actually spray it very lightly right on the panel. I'll also prime the towel with a light spritz of the product as well.

I've found by keeping it really light, I don't even have to buff it off. Just spray on and wipe away.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Moldavite
    I had better result with spraying on microfiber , not forgetting for last few panel the towel already prime , so less product use

Post Thanks / Like

•You prefer your way because for some reason you feel it works it way onto the paint more thoroughly and more importantly more evenly.

•I prefer to first dampen the applicator with UQW, and then spray/mist the panel surface. I feel this:
    "dual lubrication method" will lessen the chance of inflicting marring to the panel surfaces...all the while ensuring completely thorough, and even coverage.

•Are either of these "I feel" application methods scientifically proven to be the most effective?
    I'll say: Not really.

Then is the following true?
    Quote Originally Posted by RABVET View Post
    Is this a case of six of one and a half dozen of another, and in the end it's all good...
    I can only judge, by way of the finished-results:
    That I achieve using my methods of application.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Mike Phillips

I actually wrote two articles years ago sharing how to use a spray wax...

I think I revive them...

Hi,

For me, I prefer to apply the quick wax via a clean soft cotton 16 X 16 towel which has been thoroughly rinsed with warm water, wringed out thoroughly and folded into rectangular pad.
    If that works for you then go with it...

That said, it's usually not a good idea to mix water with wax. If the chemist wants water in the wax they'll put it in the formula. Using a water dampened towel is like adding water to the wax.

In the OLD DAYS most cans of waxes told the consumer to wet a wax pad with water, ring it out and then use the wet applicator to apply their wax. Again, you're mixing water and wax.

If it works for you then go with it but the technique I use and share in the article is a twist on this that excludes the water.

I spray the pad with one or 2 shots of the quick wax, quickly distribute the product evenly within the area I'm working (usually about 2 square feet) rub in thoroughly then buff out.
    That's work, what I do and show is coat the entire car and then wipe the wax off. This gives the wax time to dry and turn opaque.

I prefer to do it this way as opposed to spaying it on directly because for some reason I feel it works it way onto the paint more thoroughly and more importantly more evenly. By the way the results is stunning!

Either way can work.

My two articles on this procedure are on MOL... there's even a story behind the articles.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    I actually wrote two articles years ago sharing how to use a spray wax...

I think I revive them...

That's work, what I do and show is coat the entire car and then wipe the wax off. This gives the wax time to dry and turn opaque.

My two articles on this procedure are on MOL... there's even a story behind the articles.

I would like to check those articles out...pardon the ignorance, but what is "MOL"?

The bold is something I never thought to do with a spray wax...would this have the same level of effectiveness even with a 100% synthetic like Megs UQW?
    2011 Toyota Camry SE - Magnetic Gray Metallic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CDot View Post
    I would like to check those articles out...pardon the ignorance, but what is "MOL"?
    I think he's referring to his previous employer and their forum.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Ah got it; thx Nate!
    2011 Toyota Camry SE - Magnetic Gray Metallic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CDot View Post

The bold is something I never thought to do with a spray wax...would this have the same level of effectiveness even with a 100% synthetic like Megs UQW?
    Thank you Mike;

One of the reasons why Mequiars may not have appreciated my method could very well be what you pointed out; which is not to dampen the applicator with water whereas water and wax don't mix?

Also spraying the entire car with the spray wax before buffing out is
    very interesting to say the least; however, as CDot pointed out, does that apply to UQW which is more of a synthetic?

And yes, I too would love to see that article because it's still possible to teach old dogs (like myself) new tricks!!!

Thank you again,
    Ralph

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast