autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How to: My foam gun and boar hair brush wash technique.

Preface: I've seen a lot of talk regarding foam guns and I wanted to present my method.

Much credit is due to Accumulator on the other autopia for getting me hooked on the BHB (boar hair brush) and for getting me going with his wash method. Much of the wash part is his method, with parts I've thrown in and have found to work well/quickly, the drying is what I've started using recently.

This is the safest/most gentle wash IMO because you are always lubricating the surface with lots of soap suds. It is also one of the fastest washes. 2bm takes me an hour or so, this takes me approximately 30 mins. I've been using the bhb for about a year and a half now, refining the method as I go.

I decided to get a BHB after reading a lot of Accumulator's recommendations, I got the Montana 10" brush from AG. It has a rubber bumper around the perimeter and a threaded hole for attaching a handle. I didnt buy the handle they offer, but found a paint roller handle in the garage that works (though I have only used it once for the top of an excursion, nice to have incase). I got the 10" also because it fits lengthwise into a 5gal bucket for easy rinsing, which I did at first, but then Accumulator convinced me that the suds would rinse the brush free enough. This is true but I still spray the brush with water between panels when I am rinsing the panel clean of soap.

I get enough foam from about 4oz CG Citrus wash and gloss/rest water to sufficiently flush the brush constantly. Foam is sprayed directly ahead of the brush movement on the bristles. The brush is held with light pressure in one hand (foam gun always in the other, making sure not to hit the paint with the nozzle). The brush movement is critical (see below). Do not make long sweeps, and do not bend the bristles all the way over(this is how most people use a bhb, which increases the chance of scratching by using the side of the bristles). The bristles should touch the paint and with only about 1/4" of the tips should do the cleaning (very light pressure). I do 2 panels at a time, then rinse the car and brush (bristles facing the ground) with water to keep soap residue from drying and to ensure any stuff is out of the brush.

The flagged bristle ends are so soft and I feel like this is less harsh on the paint than any other method due to low applied pressure and the constant foaming flush. It also uses very little soap as I use about 1/2 of the foam gun container (2oz total soap) per car.

Cliff notes:
    0. Clean wheels/tires as usual, clean off any tar with tar cleaner, and spray bug stuff on any insects (you can leave this sitting on the paint if you are comfortable with doing that)

1. Gather supplies (foam gun with 4oz soap, remainder water, bhb*, hose, waterless wash in sprayer, quick detailer/wax, about four 500+ gsm mf towels)

2. Work top-down, as usual, doing the roof, then two panels at a time

3. Soak bhb with water from hose (slide foam gun dilution bar all the way so just water comes out)

4. Spray some foam onto working area (for me, the foam gun slider bar is just one click over from straight water)

5. With foam gun constantly shooting foam at the bristle-paint interface, make short 2-3" jiggling motions to aggitate the surface. Make a pass left to right, then move down the panel and go right to left with some overlap. These motions are pretty fast and you can cover a lot of area quickly and safely. (Remember subsequent passes must be below the previous ones for flushing)

6. After the roof, or two panels, disconnect the gun bottle using the quick disconnect, set on ground, and spray the panel clean. Use this time to spray the brush also. Reconnect bottle to sprayer. ( I disconnect the bottle because there is not enough water flow when using the straight water setting on the slider bar, which slows you down)

7. Rinse and repeat until the vehicle is done. I also tend to keep the previous sections wet whenever I am spraying off soap so the water doesnt dry and spot.

8. Grab waterless wash and mf towel folded into fourths. Begin top-down and work in similar sized sections spraying generously and wiping/flipping mf towel often.

9. Continue with the WW until you've covered the entire vehicle. Note: there will likely be streaking now due to using a lot of WW. That is ok because this step was to get most of the water off.

10. Basically do the same procedure using the qd or quick wax, to finish drying and remove the streaks. This step will take slightly longer because you'll pay a little more attention.

11. Clean windows and other trims/grilles with WW, glass cleaner, etc. Dont use your bhb for this as it's not the best tool.

12. All done.

*no need to soak bhb prior to use since you are only using the bristle ends

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't steps 8,9, 10. You are wiping the car with two more steps after washing? (WW and then again with detail spray/wax?)
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to: My foam gun and boar hair brush wash technique.

Yes, the idea was to get most of the water safely off the car, and very quickly (in the sun). Then use the qd/spray sealant (v07) as some minor protection and to get rid of the minor streaks left by the waterless.

It's something ive played with the past few washes. Its very quick and I also use little to no pressure on the towels. I have some griots waterless ive been wanting to get rid of since i now have ultima so this was a good way to get rid of some while experimenting.

I also just got a master blaster sidekick so ill probably blow out cracks and trim first next time, then possibly remove the waterless step and dry only with the sidekick and qd.

My previous drying was leaf blower and blot with waffle weave. That can spot, the leaf blower is heavy and slow to dry, and i dont like to drag waffle weaves on paint so i never do that, even with qd.

The main point of the thread is the wash though. You can dry however you like.

Post Thanks / Like

been looking to get a BHB so I can do large trucks and vans quicker. Is it much quicker or should I just stay with my MF mitt? Whats your thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, Accumulator finally comes to AGO (sort of).

Post Thanks / Like

For very dirty vehicles the bhb will be too gentle with the method above. Since youre probably not looking for a show finish on those vehicles, try my method with the foam gun, but use the mf or mf chenille mitt in place of the brush. Ive done that once when i washed an enclosed trailer with good success. You still get the benefit of lots of lubrication and some flushing (not as much as a brush since the soap isnt able to run out as easily) but the mitt is alittle less gentle than the brush when used as i said above. Still very fast though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dfoxengr View Post
    Preface: I've seen a lot of talk regarding foam guns and I wanted to present my method.
    No need for effluent/run-off containment;
    or, compliance with other Clean Water Act issues where you perform this "method"?

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the thread, been thinking about a foam gun.

Post Thanks / Like

I use about 2oz of soap per wash. Just like you may do with the 2bm. Shouldn't affect people who have those regulations.

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    No need for effluent/run-off containment;
    or, compliance with other Clean Water Act issues where you perform this "method"?

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dfoxengr View Post
    Like i said, i use about 2oz of soap per wash. Just like you may do with the 2bm. Shouldn't affect people who have those regulations.
    Even though I have them to abide by---regardless if it's the 2 bucket method or something else...
    I was actually asking if you have those regulations to abide by.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast