autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: DIY Full Flow brass garden hose shut-off valve

Awesome setup I'm gonna do it myself. Thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    The problem is the quick disconnects. They are huge flow killers. Just look at the diameter differences. Doesn't matter if you had a 1" hose. Getting non flow restricted quick disconnects are where you should be looking into. They aren't cheap. Are they worth it? Yes.
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
    The problem is the quick disconnects. They are huge flow killers. Just look at the diameter differences. Doesn't matter if you had a 1" hose. Getting non flow restricted quick disconnects are where you should be looking into. They aren't cheap. Are they worth it? Yes.
    I love this idea of building your own, the cool factor, the simplicity, the manly look to it, and the easy to grasp handle compared to the small plastic lever on the 1-piece units for sale.

I have to agree with silverfox on the quick disconnects. It's only going to be as strong as its smallest link, and the QD is a much smaller diameter.

Where can we find a good metal high flow quick disconnect for garden hoses? The only ones I have found so far seem to be made of plastic, which leads me to believe it won't stand up to the abuse we most likely will put it through: dropping it on the driveway, dragging it across the concrete/asphalt etc...

Anyone find good ones please link it!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DaytonaJae View Post
    I love this idea of building your own, the cool factor, the simplicity, the manly look to it, and the easy to grasp handle compared to the small plastic lever on the 1-piece units for sale.

I have to agree with silverfox on the quick disconnects. It's only going to be as strong as its smallest link, and the QD is a much smaller diameter.

Where can we find a good metal high flow quick disconnect for garden hoses? The only ones I have found so far seem to be made of plastic, which leads me to believe it won't stand up to the abuse we most likely will put it through: dropping it on the driveway, dragging it across the concrete/asphalt etc...

Anyone find good ones please link it!
    Hey I totally agree with both of you. If you look in the first post, I said I was in the process of replacing my quick disconnects. But while I was looking, I noticed that the valve is even more restrictive, by about 1/4 inch.

I posted another thread asking where I can find some brass full flow quick disconnects, but so far no one has had a solution.

DaytonaJae-
    I'm avoiding those plastic ones for the exact same reason. The best brass QDs I can find have a 1/2 inch inner diameter, but that's the same as the brass Gilmours I have now.

silverfox-
    If you know where to get some true, nonrestrictive full flows that are metal (preferably brass) please let me know. I would really appreciate it man.

And don't worry, I just spent $20 making a valve, so I know I gotta spend money to do it right.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Taurus731 View Post
    Do you have video of the difference in water pressure created by the two different shut-off valves?
    I do not. I tested it without any attachments, just the QDs, and it sprayed about a foot farther. I thought about making a video, but I decided not to, at least for now, because I know the QDs are still restricting it, so it would not be a true test. I suppose I could have taken them off... my bad.

Quote Originally Posted by ferret1980 View Post
    I think like 5 psi but quick connect got to go. I've got 3/4 coming tomorrow. I post my test

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk
    Ooo did not see that there were new replies on page 1!

Dude where did you get 3/4 QDs? 3/4" ID, right?

Post Thanks / Like

All I could find is this

Dixon DGH7 Brass Quick-Connect Fitting, Garden Hose Complete Set, 200 psi Pressure: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

But I suspect it is probably only a 1/2" diameter even though it looks larger than the others in photos, most likely in relation to the sleeve being slimmer on this model than the others.

It doesn't say the dimensions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ferret1980 View Post
    I think like 5 psi but quick connect got to go. I've got 3/4 coming tomorrow. I post my test

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk
    Yeah!!! let us know where you got it and post some pics for us!

Post Thanks / Like

I am not a Physics major but doesn't the bottle neck create higher pressure? Just a thought.

Post Thanks / Like

Garden hose + pressure washer= doesn't matter hose diameter

However, I wish i saw this before I just bought my new Gilmore connector! Perhaps after this kids break this one I will build a new one!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy1970 View Post
    I am not a Physics major but doesn't the bottle neck create higher pressure? Just a thought.
    Yes, but with the QD, you have a bottle neck before the nozzle, which means you're not getting enough pressure where you want it: at the exit of the nozzle. I also have a QD at the spigot, so I'm losing flow right from the start.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast