autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: DIY Pad Washer

Post Thanks / Like

Re: DIY Pad Washer

Quote Originally Posted by Two3zz View Post
    I was chicken at first to post pics after I finished. *Marshalls...knock,knock.

The spring seat piece: HD #612758 3/4" Plug (4) $0.97 ea. ouch
    But I was all in.

*The Lid: I wanted to mimic the original.
    Just a Lowes cheapie. #211809 $1.28
    I cut the center out at the outer most ring, then cut it in half.
    I cut the outer 'Lip' off (part that locks onto bucket lip) and trimmed each till they lined up and fit the recess of the cut out Gamma Lid.
    Cutting out that Gamma Lid is the hardest part of the whole build. You end up buying (2) so you can close'r up if you choose to. HD #5GAMMA6 $7.25 ea.

The rest is 'Junk' drawer and hardware. 10/24 screws, nuts
    and flat washers. Wing nut was junk drawer. Spring I ripped out of a Radio Shack single 'C' Battery Holder.
    The hogged out Gamma Lid has ribbing on the under side so screw placement is fiddly.
    Gott'a be damn careful!! some of the plastic cuts easily, some
    doesn't. Hope I helped. Let me know.
    Lol marshalls? Are you from Texas?

Thank you. I'm working on recreating this, but the Lowe's stores here have a slightly different cheapo lid. The outter ring is too small, so I got one of their better lids for a dollar more and cut that out. I also made a pretty cool clasp for the thing. I'll post it when it's complete.

Pro-tip: Before disposing of the better lids, get some plyers and pull out the rubber seal. You can reuse it if the seal goes bad on another lid, such as an expensive gamma seal lid.

Quote Originally Posted by indiej1 View Post
    aren't you guys gonna try an aquarium pump? mine's still working. it doesn't have a lid since there's no splashing outside the bucket.
    Are you the guy that posted the version with the pump at the bottom? If so, nice job! I like the design, but I have no experience with that sort of stuff, and I feel like I shouldn't jump right in to electronics under water... I may try it later, but for now I just thought I'd try this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakeside Detail View Post
    Thanks to the OP, I made my pad washer today and it came out great!! I even placed my order at Lowes for store pickup and when I got there she said she had fun picking it and smiled. I must of caught someone who actually liked their job, lol
    You're welcome! Glad it worked out for you! Haha that is a rare find indeed. Funny story, when I went back for a part I forgot, the cashier couldn't get it so scan, so she goes "Screw it, here just take it." Sometimes people that hate their job can help too!

Quote Originally Posted by Mirror Finish View Post
    OK, I've seen these listed, but what does it do that is so different from a manual pad washing method.

I just place my pads in the bathroom sink after cleaning it to a shine, then add either Woolite or Pinnacle cleaning product to luke warm water and press down on my pad.
    I never did it by hand since I built this before I ever used my DA, but I think this thing is just supposed to make it quicker and easier.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBeast14GT View Post

Are you the guy that posted the version with the pump at the bottom? If so, nice job! I like the design, but I have no experience with that sort of stuff, and I feel like I shouldn't jump right in to electronics under water... I may try it later, but for now I just thought I'd try this guy.
    i am, thank you. it Is electrical. i've used it 24/7 to pump water up to an overhead aquarium filter when i was a kid. most of the time my arms are underwater setting up the ~100 gallon aquarium while these pumps are running. it can simply be plugged on a socket with a switch or a gfci. i hope you guys get to try it.

one more thing to note is that the bucket i used has a lip that stops the grit guard from going down. one can also just bolt on a ledge/ridge for it.

i've browsed amazon.com and the pumps i've seen don't have the tube with holes but i'm sure you guys can easily punch holes on a pvc pipe that fits the pump outlet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by indiej1 View Post
    i am, thank you. it Is electrical. i've used it 24/7 to pump water up to an overhead aquarium filter when i was a kid. most of the time my arms are underwater setting up the ~100 gallon aquarium while these pumps are running. it can simply be plugged on a socket with a switch or a gfci. i hope you guys get to try it.

one more thing to note is that the bucket i used has a lip that stops the grit guard from going down. one can also just bolt on a ledge/ridge for it.

i've browsed amazon.com and the pumps i've seen don't have the tube with holes but i'm sure you guys can easily punch holes on a pvc pipe that fits the pump outlet.
    Where did you get a bucket like that? And thanks for the tips man. I'm sure I'll try this eventually

Post Thanks / Like

Money saving tip!
    (Compression Springs)

You may recall the compression springs were a bit pricey:

2 x 2-pack 23/32" x 3-1/2" Compression Springs
    2 x $4.48 = $8.96

Yeah, everyday low price my ass...

Solution!
    I was in Dollar Tree yesterday, and I saw a two pack of toilet paper holders. Exciting, I know. But then it hit me, those things don't
    just make my post-candy-crush task easier, they also contain compression springs! So I bought a pack, for a dollar of course, and
    the springs are almost an exact match.

They were really easy to pull apart, go figure. The wire appears to be a tad thinner, but it should still work. And I doubt it is anti-corrosive,
    but as you can see, neither are the ones I spent 8 bucks on. I recommend spraying them with some Rustoleum, so they don't corrode like this.

These springs are roughly 3/4" shorter, so the pipes will need to be adjusted to compensate.
    Making the caps 3/4" shorter, and the vertical tubes 3/4" longer should do the trick.

Now for some added fun, don't let those plastic pieces go to waste. Snap them back together
    without the spring, and carefully replace the holder in your bathroom. Then watch your wife or
    girlfriend struggle to put it back together the next time she goes to use the roll.

Post Thanks / Like

Rusty - Crusty Pad Cleaning Solution. will have to watch for that.

"Now for some added fun, don't let those plastic pieces go to waste. Snap them back together
    without the spring, and carefully replace the holder in your bathroom. Then watch your wife or
    girlfriend struggle to put it back together the next time she goes to use the roll".

lol My son and I love to gently torture da' momma' every now and then.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Two3zz View Post

Rusty - Crusty Pad Cleaning Solution. will have to watch for that.
    The only pad cleaning solution I have used in this thing thus far is the Griot's Garage Micro Fiber & Foam Pad Cleaner. It's a clear liquid, so the white part is probably lime, calcium, or more likely product that came off the pads. I think it would take longer than a few uses for calcium to build up like that, but I'm no chemist so who knows.

Post Thanks / Like

Still... a good heads up! w. "Made in China " plating and all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBeast14GT View Post
    Where did you get a bucket like that? And thanks for the tips man. I'm sure I'll try this eventually
    most of the stuff were just things lying around the house. you might find one at cosco or any of those discount stores. bolting on a flexible plastic ridge will work.

np, glad to help

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for posting all the information. I am making one from 3/4 pipe that had in the shed. I put washers in the top pieces connecting the top tubes to the bottom vertical tubes. These will be used to set the springs on. Next will be getting the bigger sleves and caps. Thanks again. buicfrank

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buicfrank View Post
    Thanks for posting all the information. I am making one from 3/4 pipe that had in the shed. I put washers in the top pieces connecting the top tubes to the bottom vertical tubes. These will be used to set the springs on. Next will be getting the bigger sleves and caps. Thanks again. buicfrank
    That's a good idea. I used washers in the same part on another project, don't know why I didn't think to do it here.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast