autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flex + Rupes vs Ceramiclear Paint - How to detail a Mercedes-Benz SL 550

If you have a minute Mike, could you elaborate on your choice of the medium Nanoskin pad instead of the fine. Was there specific reasons for the medium here or is it just your go to pad? How much difference do you feel one pad makes verses the other. Can the fine be used instead of the medium with a little more machine work or are there times you just need the medium?

Post Thanks / Like
    That is another imoressive work Mike! I envy you :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Great work. Just love your shop!!

Post Thanks / Like

mike youre the mike tyson of auto detailing! way to knock this car out! thank you for the write up, very informative . i definitely have to invest in a flex rotary.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you may have the hang of this detailing thing!
    Very nice

Post Thanks / Like

Great job as always Mike, on the car, the write-up and the pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like

Phenomenal before and after on the Mercedes, Mike! I'm glad you all took the pictures you did to illustrate the turnaround. I think the only one who didn't approve is Bret Velde of Vero Beach (the car dealer that had the vinyl letters on the back)

I take it that after the compounding step, the RIDS became easier to see because all the surface scratches were removed, and that's when it became evident that wet (or damp) sanding was necessary? Those must have been some scratches for the Flex rotary, wool pad, and compound to not remove!

Also, did you see much improvement from the second to final machine polishing steps (Rupes Fine Cut (Yellow) to Ultra Fine Cut (White))? I ask just because the paint was so glossy subsequent to this step that I didn't know how much more you could eek out of it! Or did it become more I want to ensure that the paint is in ultra perfect condition before I apply this coating?

Like always, thanks for the education, entertainment, and write up. They're always a joy to read and re-read.

Post Thanks / Like

Outstanding work Mike! That Mercedes looks incredible now!

Thanks for the thorough write up.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the explanation Mike

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by ducksfan View Post

If you have a minute Mike, could you elaborate on your choice of the medium Nanoskin pad instead of the fine.

Was there specific reasons for the medium here or is it just your go to pad?

It's my go-to pad.

Here's the reason why...

If I feel some type of above surface bonded contaminants on the paint and I'm already planning on machine compound or machine polishing the paint, then because any marring induced by the mechanical decontamination step, in this case the Nanoskin Autoscrub Pad, I know my compounding or polishing step is going to remove the marring so my goal is two fold,

1. Absolute removal of all contaminants to get the paint as flat and smooth as possible.

2. Do the job as fast as I can.

The Fine Grade Nanoskin Autoscrub Pad may have done the job but the Medium Grade will for sure do the job and do it faster.

Quote Originally Posted by ducksfan View Post

How much difference do you feel one pad makes verses the other.

Can the fine be used instead of the medium with a little more machine work or are there times you just need the medium?

I "think" my answer above also answers these two questions, if not, just let me know.

And thank you for asking the questions. I briefly met the owner/inventor of the Nanoskin Autoscrub pads at SEMA this year and let him know I loved his products and show them in my detailing boot camp classes and use them myself on the cars I detail.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast