autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Tip for Iron X users - Rinse well to avoid molding drip

Tip for Iron X users - Rinse well to avoid molding drip

My friend Jim Goguen of Jim's Auto Installations & Detailing Center, shared a tip to help people avoid having moldings, trim, even cracks and crevices from dripping purple throughout the day and that's to always rinse your project really well after using Iron X with concentrated focus on these areas.

Quote Originally Posted by jims_auto View Post

One thing I would add when using Iron-X be sure to rinse moldings really well as they tend to hold the product and keep dripping purple all day
    While a simple tip, I thought it was a great tip, so I turned his tip into a dedicated article to help others into the future while giving him due credit.

Here's some pictures to show you an example of the type of areas to make sure you rinse thoroughly.

Iron X is a great product for chemically removing embedded iron particles out of your car's or your customer's car's paint.

If this garage kept 2000 Lotus Esprit has iron contamination, how much more so the average daily driver parked outside most of the time?

All panted panels were thoroughly covered with Iron X early in the morning while it was still cool out so the Iron X could work its magic without drying to quickly.

Iron X is a thin liquid and will seep into cracks and crevices as well as behind exterior trim, moldings and even emblems and badges.

Be sure to rinse these areas really well to avoid having them continue to drip purple after washing and drying.

Thanks for the tip Jim!

Personal comment....
    I really like Iron X and use it for almost all of my car detailing projects as well as show how to use it in my detailing boot camp classes.

I also feature it in all my automotive detailing how-to books as I think its' one of the most important first step a person can do to ensure show car results when detailing anything important. See my signature line for the various options for my how-to book.

As you can see by these pictures, this 2000 Lotus Esprit, even being garage kept and with only 9000 miles on it had iron contamination throughout all the body panel. The safest way to remove iron particles is to chemically dissolve them.

Mechanically removing them via detailing clay or some other mechanical is not only not as effective since the particles can be embedded in the paint, not on it, and if you do remove them mechanically you will then be rubbing them over the paint potentially inflicting swirls and scratches.

The best way to ensure your car's paint is not contaminated with any type of iron particles is to use a product like Iron X to chemically remove these types of contaminants.

Then after removing the iron contaminants, finish washing and drying the car and re-inspect the paint using the Baggie Test. If you still feel little bumps on the paint this indicates some other form of contaminant and for this you would then use a mechanical means to remove them such as detailing clay or a product from Nanoskin such as their Nanoskin Autoscrub Wash Mitts, Towels or Pads.

Iron X will not remove contaminants like overspray paint, tree sap mist, etc. These will need to be removed after chemically decontaminating the paint to remove iron particles.

In most cases, if a paint has iron contamination it's highly likely it also has other forms of contaminants.

If you really want to create the nicest finish possible you must remove all forms of above surface and embedded contaminants as gloss comes from a smooth surface plus removing all contaminants makes all other correction and polishing steps safer and more effective.

Iron X on Autogeek.net

Iron X 500 ml

CarPro Iron X Lemon Scent 500 ml

See all Iron X products from CarPro

Mike Phillips

Re: Tip for Iron X users - Rinse well to avoid molding drip

Decontaminating this Lotus was just one of the procedures we used to restore a flawless, show car finish to this rare exotic, highly collectible super car.

See the after pictures here...

The Little Yeller Feller - 2000 Lotus Esprit V8

Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic article Mike. Iron-X is a must for ensuring the iron particles are removed from paint prior to claying.

Another thing I do after a solid rinse down is get out a leaf blower and force dry all the trim and cracks where water like to hide.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought IronX in December and still did not have a chance to use it, can't wait for Spring!!!
    CURRENT: Happily Retired
    PAST: Owner at Clean N' Shiny, Chicago Auto Pros

Post Thanks / Like

I make a point to rinse very well and blow out any of those crevices/moldings with compressed air. It should be done regardless to remove as much grit build-up before polishing, otherwise you risk dislodging grit due to vibration of a DA when polishing right under a molding. One little piece of sand that vibrates loose and falls from the molding into your pad could really ruin your day. It's quick, easy and could save some serious headaches.

Post Thanks / Like

This is a great and much needed article concerning this product.

The first time I used iron-x, even after rinsing extremely well, the product still had the power to keep on working...bleeding from the trim on my Regal GS.

At the time I didn't have any way to dry the vehicle other than waffle weave towels and even then after drying some water drained from under the door guard, while I was polishing on the opposite side, and dried on the paint leaving a streak of rust/purple colored stainging on my paint. It looked very similar to what you see in the photo below just below the "T".

I tried several products trying to remove the stain, but it wouldn't budge, even with M105/M205. This lead me to believe it etched into the paint. I wish I had a picture to post here on this thread, but I didn't think about it at the time and I've since sold the car.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Will trix pretty much accomplish the same thing? Reason I ask is I got 2 bottles on bogo and want to use them up before purchasing strictly iron x. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wrb_subie View Post
    Will trix pretty much accomplish the same thing? Reason I ask is I got 2 bottles on bogo and want to use them up before purchasing strictly iron x. Thanks.
    Yes it will, it will also remove tar during the process.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

Would using painters tape on the top side of the molding help prevent iron x from getting behind the trim, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wrb_subie View Post
    Trix is a superb product. Does everything Iron-X does plus tar. Outstanding wheel cleaner as well. But very expensive!
    -----------------------------------
    http://www.birminghamautodetailing.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast