autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: How long to wait before waxing a brand new car?

Quote Originally Posted by Tato View Post
    Nice answer ZimRandy, thank you for that.

Your (Randy) answer also added a lot to my educational plan.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts,

Kind Regards.
    No problem. Good luck with education plan. I think that is a great first step with a customer.

I just had this talk over the weekend with a friend who traded in his 2011 Duramax crew cab dually for a 2014. I gave his old truck a quick once over and removed some paint transfer before the trade (where he received compliments and top dollar due to it's condition! ). They actually remembered that he had a 'detail guy' but they still washed the new truck for him. Ugh.

When he bought his 2011, he gave strict orders not to wash it and not to put their sticker on it as it was going to his detailer (me) right away. They still washed it and put the dealership sticker on and when he pointed it out they offered to "buff it off" and remove the sticker.

He has asked me to seal his new truck and told me it should be nearly perfect and won't need any buffing. After going through the history of the truck and all the hands that may have touched it before he picked it up, he agreed that it probably needs a light buff before it is sealed. The truck was found on another dealer's lot and driven 150 miles to the dealer where he picked it up so the history is unknown from the time of the build.

So guess who gets to polish and Opti Coat a huge 2014 Duramax crew cab dually over Christmas break? Oh yeah, it is black, too.

Randy

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How long to wait before waxing a brand new car?

Nice story, Thank you for that.

Good luck on your opti coat, luckily your friend have someone like you. He will be nothing but amazed with the investment. I always like to start correct right from the beginning (if that makes sense in english!).

Kind Regards.
    “Nature is pleased with simplicity. And nature is no dummy”

― Isaac Newton

Post Thanks / Like
    I got my car Sept 10th, 2011 and is was driven, by the salesman, 451 miles to the delaership I bought it from. At the time I had Zaino Z-5 pro and VFX and applied 3 coats the next day after a good wash and clay. I feel there is no need to wait, just check the paint and do what you've gotta do and get with it!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Why did you use the medium grade Nanoskin Autosrub on a new car? I've always heard to use fine grade on anything other than a highly contaminated older car as the medium has a decent chance of maring. Which on an older car will need to be compounded and polished anyway doing away withany marring.

Thanks for this post. I've seen too often the outdated idea that you have to wait a month after buying a new car to coat/seal.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by ClayR View Post

Why did you use the medium grade Nanoskin Autoscrub on a new car?
    Wanted to make sure 100% I removed EVERYTHING off the surface the first pass around while also doing the procedure as fast as I could.

I machine scrubbed the entire car as I found above surface contaminants on the horizontal panels as well as the vertical panels.

I then machine polished all the panels. The use the paint prep polish and then hand applied the coating. All in all from start to finish it took me 6 hours including doing the wheels, tires and glass which I didn't include in the write-up nor took pictures of either.

I've always heard to use fine grade on anything other than a highly contaminated older car as the medium has a decent chance of marring. Which on an older car will need to be compounded and polished anyway doing away with any marring.
    Amazing thing... after using the Medium Grade over the car both the owner and I inspected using both the Brinkmann Swirl Finder Light, (fully charged), and the Rupes Swirl Finder Pen Light, and neither of us could see any marring anywhere.

I'm going to credit this to the Ceramiclear finish. I've posted this multiple times on this forum but here it goes again...

I'm a HUGE fan of Ceramiclear paints.

Thanks for this post. I've seen too often the outdated idea that you have to wait a month after buying a new car to coat/seal.
    Urban legends die hard...

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: How long to wait before waxing a brand new car?

There is a way to get your car directly from the factory if you want to pick it up 'factory fresh'.

You can order a Corvette with the option R8C that allows you to pick up the car at the Bowling Green, KY factory / Musuem.

National Corvette Museum - Museum Delivery

We are thrilled to offer the Museum Delivery program to new Corvette Owners. It is an adventure like no other and a memorable addition to your new Corvette purchase. Hundreds of enthusiasts take delivery of their new Corvette at the Museum each year … Let our team be part of your new Corvette purchase.

How It All Starts: NCM Delivery is referred to as OPTION "R8C" and is available through any Chevrolet Dealer at a cost of $990.00. It must be specified at the time the order is finalized and a special Ship Code of "184590" must also be used to identify your Corvette for Museum Delivery.

The Communications: After a TARGET PRODUCTION WEEK has been established, the National Corvette Museum will contact the selling dealer and/or the customer and offer a reasonable time frame in which the customer can choose a date for delivery. This contact will normally occur approximately two weeks prior to the TARGET PRODUCTION WEEK allowing ample time for the customer to make travel arrangements. The Museum will confirm the date, agreed upon by customer, in writing and will handle all further communications. If at any time the selling dealer and/or customer should have any questions regarding the delivery, they may contact the Museum at 1-800-205-4248.

The Paperwork: Customers must arrive at the NCM with the following items before a delivery can take place:

A License Plate or Temporary Tag
    Proof of Ownership
    (Bill of sale, etc.)
    Proof of Insurance
    Valid Operator's License
    Dealer Acknowledgement form

The Delivery: The customer arrives at the NCM with up to three additional guests of age 7 and up, total (4) and is welcomed with signs commemorating the event. They are taken to the Corvette Assembly Plant (located across the street from the NCM) for their own NCM Delivery Team guided VIP tour (when available). Museum Delivery customers will be transported to the Corvette Assembly Plant for a tour in a GM courtesy vehicle. All non-GM vehicles driven by guests wishing to transport themselves is acceptable and has a designated area. View complete plant required guidelines here.

A personal, special VIP guided tour of the NCM is conducted where they will see their Corvette on display. Next, a member of the NCM Delivery Team provides a quality orientation followed by a thorough delivery presentation of their new vehicle. A unique gold decal is placed on the inside of the drivers door jamb to signify the importance of this memorable occasion.

The customer is presented with an individual one year NCM membership*.

*Memberships which come with our R8C Museum Delivery program are upgradable.

What to Wear/What to Bring: Closed toe shoes (no sandals) are a requirement for all visitors to the plant. No cameras, backpacks, purses, fanny packs, or other packages or containers may be brought into the plant except by special request (for medical reasons, etc.). Cameras are welcome at the Museum.

Post Delivery: A commemorative nameplate (with the customer's name, date of delivery and VIN) is ordered for the participant the day of delivery. The nameplate will then be shipped directly to the customer. Exclusive NCM Delivery merchandise may also be ordered by participants.

Lodging: The Museum proudly recommends our business member hotels, motels, campgrounds and bed and breakfasts. Business Members Lodging.

Car rental from Nashville BNA Airport: Enterprise Rent-A-Car has special rates and services for R8C participants arriving at the Nashvile airport. One is a round trip rental and the other is a one way rental where the car can be left at the NCM. Use the links below to make reservations on the Enterprise web site.

Some of my customers have done this and think it is pretty cool.

Randy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    Congrats on the new ride, it's awesome.

That second picture makes me so thankful I live in Florida.
    Back atcha...I've been partial to black cars, and I love your Genesis! Yes, road salt is a part of daily life up here in the winter!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey all, I just detailed my truck the other day, my question is, when is the next time you usually wax your vehicle?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by preet16 View Post

Hey all, I just detailed my truck the other day, my question is,

when is the next time you usually wax your vehicle?

That's all up to you... There's a saying,

Nothing looks better than a freshly waxed car

If you want your car to have that just waxed look then just wax your car.

But seriously, the next time you would wax your car really depends on how you maintain the car after waxing it balanced against your expectations for how you want your car to look.

I like my truck to look like I just waxed it all the time. Wheels and tires too...

Check out this article...

How to maintain a freshly waxed car

Post Thanks / Like

There is a grain of truth to the "wait before you wax a new car" myth. It stems from the import quotas on Japanese cars that started around 1984.

The country was in a very deep recession. The domestic manufacturers were getting the stuffing knocked out of them by the Japanese. So, "voluntary" import quotas were imposed. Naturally, the economy turned around fairly abruptly just about the time the import quotas were imposed. If you wanted to buy a Japanese car, you would go to the dealer who would have a grease pencil board with the type of car and its expected arrival date. You would negotiate up from msrp. [yes! really!].

The Japanese practiced "just in time" manufacturing practices. So, a car destined for the U.S. market would roll off the assembly line and then sprayed with a thick, vasoline-like substance for the sea journey. The car would arrive in the U.S., and be cleaned, I suppose at the dealer, where the buyer would pick up the car in a day or two. The proud purchaser would then instantly wax his car. All-in-all, the car might spend three or four days without a coating on its paint. It would not have a full chance to cure. The paint would fade. I know, because I was one of those people.

As so many have pointed out, the wait-before-you-wax thing has no application today.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast