autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: The Wolfgang Four

Quote Originally Posted by Klink10 View Post

Thank you Mike. Subscribed to this and just got my box containing 3 of the 4.
    You'll see first hand... Wide spectrum of paint systems... Works consistently... Always great results.

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post

Bob
    Now that's creative and funny!

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone hailing the Wolfgang 4...how do you think it compares to Menzerna? I've expanded my detailing-product base in about every arena besides polishes..and I'm trying to move away from Poorboys SSR..not that it's a bad line, I'd just like something more fit to my bmw schwarz black paint, more versatile for when doing the occasional clients' car...(+)'s/(-)'s of both? When are each products "best" used? Ie for what condition paint, what temperatures, what are the working times of each and range of polishing ability? etc etc...For more about my specific situation: Cost is a factor, I don't usually work in a garage, so that's another factor...most of the cars I do on the side for family/friends/ friends of friends are one-steps. As far as my own car, I want to perfect it to near show-car shine, but I probably wont be using all of the polishes all the time... Right now I only had time to polish mine with ssr3 and opti-seal it b/c of school/work etc. But I will need to polish it fully before coating with PBL. I may have time to clean out our garage as its not really messy, but we have a garage door problem, stick a space heater in and polish&coat it there if need be... I feel like the menz line's numbering is confusing, but their products seem top-notch. Wolfgang on the other hand seems great also, but I don't know as much about their stuff. Any insight? Thank you in advance Also, thanks for putting up with my loquaciousness...sometimes I am a bit too talkative, but after all, for me, "its in the details" so asking all of the right questions and weighing all options/variables is important.

Post Thanks / Like

Aha...after reading "Are they the same? Menzerna SIP & WGTSR" It seems that Wolfgang kind of embodies the best of both Menzerna and Wolfgang technologies...is this the case for all Wolfgang products, or just WGTSR? Hmm... sorry Mike if my questions were a bit mundane...I searched wolfgang v menzerna before but must've missed that thread...

Post Thanks / Like

As far as Menzerna goes I was thinking of this...Menzerna Power Gloss, Power Finish & Super Finish Bundle, Menzerna Polishes Combo, Nano Polish, Power Finish Polish, Power Gloss Compound, the menzerna intro kit, or the FG400 followed by SF4000... if I were to go for the WG I'd probably get the first 3 of the "wolfgang 4"... bmw paint from '98 would not be ceramic, correct?

Post Thanks / Like

My fiancé's black A5 (Audi black sucks cause it scratches so easy) car had some real bad water etching that WG Total Swirl and a CCS yellow wouldn't get rid of. About that time, WG Uber came out and since I absolutely love the WG Twins and their paint sealant, I didn't hesitate to order the Uber. With a yellow CCS pad, Uber got rid of all the etched water spots in 4-6 passes with my PC and the paint looked awesome! Wolfgang 4 is excellent stuff in my book.

Thanks,
    Michael

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oldschool1975 View Post
    My fiancé's black A5 (Audi black sucks cause it scratches so easy) car had some real bad water etching that WG Total Swirl and a CCS yellow wouldn't get rid of. About that time, WG Uber came out and since I absolutely love the WG Twins and their paint sealant, I didn't hesitate to order the Uber. With a yellow CCS pad, Uber got rid of all the etched water spots in 4-6 passes with my PC and the paint looked awesome! Wolfgang 4 is excellent stuff in my book.

Thanks,
    Michael
    Thanks! That's what I have...I used yellow ccs with SSR3 and I don't know if I'm ready to go for the microfiber pads yet...they seem like more work to use (clean after every section pass vs every panel) and more finicky (must use lower speed, more delicate)...not speaking from experience though. I already have enough CCS pads anyway. Well that's good to know, +1point for WG.

Mike Phillips

My fiancé's black A5 (Audi black sucks cause it scratches so easy)
    The majority of Audi's I've worked on have very hard paint. Although the paint is very hard, (relative to single stage paints, the only other paint system we've had since the car was introduced to replace horses), it scratches very easy.

This characteristic is called, scratch-sensitive. I just wrote an article to explain this,

Clearcoats are Scratch-Sensitive

There are exceptions to every rule and often times I see people make wide sweeping generalizations about specific makes and models of cars and this isn't really a good idea because things change. As in... car manufactures can and do change the paint systems they use on their assembly line.

Check this out...

Audi Soft Paint - Making Generalizations about Hardness and Softness

A person really won't know if they have hard paint or soft paint until they get some experience working on paints from both ends of the spectrum. I even share this in my how-to books because it's such a common question and there is NO easy answer.

car had some real bad water etching that WG Total Swirl and a CCS yellow wouldn't get rid of.
    This is what makes me think your Audi has HARD paint as TSR is a very capable polish however it is only a Medium Cut Polish, not an Aggressive Compound. There's a difference.

About that time, WG Uber came out and since I absolutely love the WG Twins and their paint sealant, I didn't hesitate to order the Uber.

With a yellow CCS pad, Uber got rid of all the etched water spots in 4-6 passes with my PC and the paint looked awesome! Wolfgang 4 is excellent stuff in my book.

Thanks,
    Michael

Love to read about success stories... thanks for sharing...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    The majority of Audi's I've worked on have very hard paint. Although the paint is very hard, (relative to single stage paints, the only other paint system we've had since the car was introduced to replace horses), it scratches very easy.

This characteristic is called, scratch-sensitive. I just wrote an article to explain this,

Clearcoats are Scratch-Sensitive
    You nailed her paint right on the head Mike.

While her 2012 Audi A5 is tough to get swirls or water etching out, if I look at it wrong, it scratches. (shhhh, I think it here's me talking about it and instantly getting scratches as I talk about it)

Light pressure with my finger nail leaves a mark.

Doesn't make sense to me that it would scratch so easy, but be so hard to get swirls out. Guess that's makes this obsession of mine so fun

Thanks,
    Michael

Mike Phillips

You nailed her paint right on the head Mike.

While her 2012 Audi A5 is tough to get swirls or water etching out, if I look at it wrong, it scratches. (shhhh, I think it here's me talking about it and instantly getting scratches as I talk about it)

Light pressure with my finger nail leaves a mark.

Doesn't make sense to me that it would scratch so easy, but be so hard to get swirls out. Guess that's makes this obsession of mine so fun

Thanks,
    Michael

Thank you for adding the above...

Nice to know what I think is vindicated by others.

Mike Phillips

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast