autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up DP Coating Prep Polish vs. Embedded Dirt

You'll often hear people say that the polishing step is more important than the waxing/sealing/coating step, and that's pretty accurate considering that your wax, sealant, or coating won't bond properly if the surface isn't squeaky clean.

There are several types of polish, some that are designed for swirl and scratch removal, and others that are non-abrasive and focus more on the chemical cleaning aspect. That latter is designed for vehicles that don't have swirls, scratches, or water spots. That was the case with a vehicle that Bryan is detailing today - a 2013 Honda Civic.

Even though this particular Civic is a 2013 model, it still has embedded dirt. Not only does this embedded dirt hinder gloss, color, and clarity, it will prevent the coating that Bryan is going to apply from properly bonding, thus making all his hard work pointless.

After Bryan washed the Civic and used the Nanoskin Autoscrub Wash Mitt to remove above surface contaminants (bugs, paint over spray, industrial fallout, etc), he polished the vehicle using a FLEX XC3401 equipped with a WHITE Hybrid Power Finish Pad. The polish of choice was DP Coating Prep Polish - a non-abrasive polish that deep cleans paint, removing gloss-hindering below surface contaminants. What sets this polish apart from others is that you can apply a coating directly after using it. There is no need to chemically strip the finish using IPA or other volatile cleaners.

Bryan applying a couple dime-sized drops of polish to the WHITE polishing pad

Working the polish with medium pressure on speed 4 of the FLEX XC3401

Think your new car doesn't need to be polished? Check out the pad on the left: that's the pad Bryan used to polish the Civic using DP Coating Prep Polish. You can see how discolored the pad is from the embedded dirt. The pad on the right is brand new.

Next time you friend or family member that's not savvy with car care say something like "nah I don't need to polish my car," send them a link to this thread.

The cleaner the paint, the more it will shine, and the longer your wax, sealant, or coating will last.

Detailer's Coating Prep Polish

Post Thanks / Like

Re: DP Coating Prep Polish vs. Embedded Dirt

Thanks for the "Detailer's Coating Prep Polish" cleaning-the-paint tips!
    I like the fact that no other chemical must be used afterwards for a Coating application!

Question:
    Had this particular vehicle been recently treated to any other "decontamination-system(s)"
    besides the "Nanoskin Autoscrub Wash Mitt"?

Thanks.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

I just bought the DP combo to try it out on my 2013 Accord. This prep polish should get rid of the light swirls that I have in my car right? Or would I need to use another polish like say Meg's UP and then this DP prep polish?
    2013 Accord V6 coupe 6MT San Marino Red

Post Thanks / Like

Is the DP prep polish along the same lines as the wolfgang paintwork polish enhancer? When I used the wolfgang on my car and the wifes the white pad stayed realitvy white. When I used meguiars cleaner wax on my moms car the pad looked like the one you used with the DP. Maybe the old lady and my car werent really that dirty? I dunno, just wondering.