autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

WG Uber Compound - Pad & Tool Selection: Pick Your Poison

Is Too Much of a Good Thing EVER Bad?

"How many times does this have to happen?"...remarks a good customer I'll refer to as "Ted." Ted always stocks up on the latest and greatest products, and he never hesitates to pick up a new compound. "I suppose I'll try it" and "add a pint to my order" are the two sentences that I hear Ted say the most. Ted is the definition of an Auto Geek.

That brings me to Uber Compound - Wolfgang's first and only entry into a crowded market that's loaded to the brim with top-notch products. Since its introduction less than 24 hours ago, Uber Compound has been the talk of the forum and for good reason; when a new Wolfgang product is introduced - especially a polish - people tend to perk up and pay attention. Ted was paying attention, because not even 7 minutes after the compound went live on the site yesterday afternoon, my phone was ringing. Ted's first question was "what kind of pad can I use with it and which polisher works best" and that's what lead me to creating this thread.

Pick Your Poison - DA, Rotary, Forced Rotation DA?

Wolfgang Uber Compound is arguably Wolfgang’s greatest undertaking since the brand’s inception. Designed with both the perfectionist and enthusiast in mind, Wolfgang Uber Compound has been tested and approved on a broader range of paint systems than any compound or polish that came before it. By combining the milling process pioneered by Menzerna with Wolfgang’s proprietary micro and diminishing abrasives, Uber Cut Compound is safe and effective on all paint systems – factory or aftermarket – with any type of tool or pad combination, including dual action and rotary polishers equipped with foam, wool, or microfiber pads.

Pictured from left to right: FLEX PE14-2-150 Rotary Polisher, Rupes LHR 21ES DA Polisher, FLEX XC3401 Forced Rotation DA Polisher, Porter Cable 7424xp DA Polisher.

These are the four major types of polishers, and Wolfgang Uber Compound performs flawlessly with all of them.

FLEX PE14-2-150 Rotary Polisher

The FLEX PE14-2-150 Rotary Polisher makes paint correction and polishing easier than ever before! This is the Mercedes of rotary polishers - smooth ride, superior handling, and German engineering. The FLEX PE14-2-150 Rotary Polisher is well adapted to the needs of the user with benefits you won't get from another rotary buffer.

My comment: Wolfgang Uber Compound was engineered to work with dual action and rotary polishers. Uber Compound is capable of removing up to 1200 grit sanding marks on fresh paint when used with a rotary polisher equipped with a wool pad. Wolfgang Uber Compound is body-shop safe, making it a great choice to remove sanding marks after wet sanding a vehicle.

Rupes LHR 21ES Big Foot Random Orbital Polisher

The Rupes LHR 21ES Big Foot Random Orbital Polisher gets its name from its massive, industry leading 21 millimeter throw. The throw of the machine indicates the size of the orbit the pad makes. Consider this: a conventional random orbital polisher has a throw between 4 and 8 millimeters. The advantage of a larger throw is that more surface area is being covered as you polish. This means you’ll be able to remove swirls, scratches, water spots and other paint defects in considerably less time. The Rupes LHR 21ES utilizes a 6 inch hook and loop backing plate designed to accommodate 7 inch pads – the perfect size for polishing horizontal and other large body panels.

My comment: It has been discovered that a lot of compounds and polishes don't play too well with the massive stroke of the Rupes LHR 21ES. Wolfgang Uber Compound and its blend of micro and diminishing abrasives works very well on the Rupes LHR 21ES, especially when paired with a Meguiars DA Microfiber Cutting Pad. This combination yields a ridiculous amount of cut, even on hard paint systems.

FLEX XC3401 Forced Rotation Dual Action Polisher

The FLEX XC 3401 Orbital Polisher is a dual action polisher on steroids! The FLEX XC3401 VRG buffer effectively removes swirls, scratches, and oxidation that can’t be removed using other D.A. polishers.

The orbital rotation of the FLEX XC 3401 Polisher simulates the circular movement of the human hand while polishing. This motion is less likely to cause holograms than a rotary buffer. At the same time, the polisher's highly smooth running facilitates a careful, precise finish and allows for hologram-free polishing. The direct-drive rotation ensures the pad never stops rotating.

My comment: Unless you've been living under a rock, you're well aware that Lake Country's Hybrid Power Finish Pads are the cat's meow on the 3401, more specifically the 5 inch pads. From my testing, I've found the WHITE polishing pad to be a perfect match for Uber Compound. This combination yields impressive leveling ability while finishing out exceptionally well. For even more cut, you can step up to the ORANGE or BLUE Hybrid Power Finish pads.

Porter Cable 7424xp Dual Action Polisher

The Porter Cable 7424 XP Variable Speed Polisher is the most user-friendly, paint-safe car polisher on the market! The Porter Cable 7424 XP polisher makes product application, polishing, and buffing faster and more effective than detailing by hand. With variable speeds and a dual-action pad, this polisher is great for novice detailers or seasoned pros that just enjoy the ease of use.

My comment: The Porter Cable 7424xp is undoubtedly the most popular DA polisher. It's inexpensive, built like a rock, and will provide years of trouble-free service. While it's not nearly as capable as say the FLEX XC3401, it will get the job done. I've found that the Lake Country Hydro-Tech TANGERINE pad to be a perfect match with Uber Compound on this style of tool (free floating spindle bearing assembly). The Tangerine pad provides an ample amount of cut while still finishing very nicely.

Choosing the Correct Pad

I hope this brief guide gave you some insight on the endless pad and tool combinations that are compatible with Wolfgang Uber Compound. From wool pads on high speed rotary polishers to microfiber pads on dual action polishers, Wolfgang Uber Compound will cut out the defects and leave you pleasantly surprised with the finish that it creates. Follow with Wolfgang Finishing Glaze on a foam finishing pad to create a finish worthy of a show car. I'm sure even Ted, the collector of every polish, wax and compound imaginable, will be floored with the performance of Uber Compound.

Wolfgang Uber Compound

Car Buffers, Polishers & Pads

Post Thanks / Like

Re: WG Uber Compound - Pad & Tool Selection: Pick Your Poison

Thanks for the write up on this Nick. It certainly will help when trying out this compound.
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for putting this together Nick for us to see that it works with any pad and machine.

Can't wait to see more reviews on this Uber compound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Evan.J View Post
    Thanks for the write up on this Nick. It certainly will help when trying out this compound.
    That was my goal - to answer any questions!

Quote Originally Posted by smack View Post

Can't wait to see more reviews on this Uber compound.
    Same here!

Post Thanks / Like

I was quite surprised that a white hybrid and the Uber Compound was all that was needed to make short work of those GLK stains. Frankly, ever since u "convinced me" to buy the Flex, my porter cable has been pretty lonely except for when I do a friend's car and give them the 7424XP to use.

Post Thanks / Like

This was excellent, thanks! Helped my narrow down what pads to use on my Griots! Can't wait to try it out.
    Back to the full-time grind.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine should be here Monday. Ups lost my first one.

Will have a review up asap!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online
    Visual Pro Detailing - Auto Detailing near Marion, IL. Call
    (618) 983-9706 www.visualprodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

Nice write up Nick. This should answer many questions about the new compound.

Post Thanks / Like

So many pads, my mind is spinning....

Is it really needed to go beyond the orange, white and black pad combinations? Maybe throw in a MF or wool for extra cut once in a while and that's about it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by theparmachine View Post
    So many pads, my mind is spinning....

Is it really needed to go beyond the orange, white and black pad combinations? Maybe throw in a MF or wool for extra cut once in a while and that's about it?
    It's only as complicated as you make it.

Orange, white and black Lake Country pads will in fact be suitable for 95% of applications.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast